United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
MORE UberText!!!
badge
UberText!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, so I'm thinking of getting new game for my wife for Christmas but could use some reccommendations.
Games she likes with two players: Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride: Europe, Bohnanza, St. Petersburg (depending on her mood), Tigris & Euphrates, Puerto Rico, Jambo, Lost Cities (this one has grown on her), Zertz, San Juan, Yahtzee, Loco!, 6 Nimmt!
She tends, overall, to prefer lighter games with a bit of chance in them.

Games she likes or thinks are okay but will mostly only play with more than two: Ark of the Covenant, Citadels, Lowenhertz, Killer Bunnies, Loot, possibly Power Grid

Games she's still unsure about: Torres, Tikal, Battle Line, Railroad Tycoon

Games she tends not to want to play or thinks are boring: War games, games that last too long, anything with auctions, Through the Desert, Alhambra, Tsuro, Louis XIV, anything like Gang of Four or the Great Dalmuti, Rummy type games, abstracts that I win too often (chess, checkers, etc. - Zertz is slowly approaching this category), word games

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you guys tried out Times Square (Reiner Knizia). My girlfriend and I have a blast playing it! There is just enough mix of luck/tactics to make it highly replayable and a lot of fun. The 20-30mins playtime is especially attractive for what I think is a very clever design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paola B
Italy
Brindisi
flag msg tools
I think that Knizia's Samurai or Blue Moon City would work very well, judging on her tastes (which seem to be quite similar to mine). Both of them work very well with two people, have simple rules, interesting gameplay and a bit of luck (even though luck can be completely eliminated from Samurai).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you and your wife like and play the same type of games we do. Some of the games that my wife seems to like at the moment are Odin's Ravens, Time Square and Take Stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there are a lot of geeklists on this is subject.

but i would recommend the common standby of balloon cup. i was pretty weary of this as people claimed it's very light, and well i guess that is true...but there is a something very fun about it that makes up for that.

my wife and i play a lot of mystery rummy, which it seems like would b a bad idea for you, but we also play a lot of balloon cup and san juan. if u already play puertoRico as a 2 player game maybe this wouldnt b good for u...otherwise i think it might b something 2 consider.
-
j

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Badinelli
Italy
Lonato
Brescia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three words: Fischen Fluppe Frikadellen.

A very fun and entertaining game by Friese, my girlfriend loves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the Blue Moon City recommendation. Times Square is great for a Lost Cities level game too. Palazzo is another option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spencer
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
MORE UberText!!!
badge
UberText!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone! I hadn't even thought of some of these, like Time's Square or Blue Moon City (I didn't know too much about them). I'll have to check those out in more detail. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eschaton1000 wrote:
Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone! I hadn't even thought of some of these, like Time's Square or Blue Moon City (I didn't know too much about them). I'll have to check those out in more detail. Thanks!

I am always amazed how often Knizia's games come up on these kind of lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.