Subject: About the story action rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Becerra Aller
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After several games, and re-reading the manual:

- The card that goes out of the story track on the Deploy Phase of a Turn is discard without effect, right? So, no points for anyone

- If a card belongs to a non-player Team, does it simply roams the Story tracks and gives point to nobody when it's expelled?

- If I take a story action, a could move one of my OWN story cards to the FIRST position. But what is that? the very next to the Story Deck or the one that is to leave it?
After a re-read, I think is is the one next to the deck, but then I don't see why you would want to move back your own story cards. The only reason would be to avoid losing it on the Deploy Phase, but then again, you would take a new card and gain points expelling this out.

Just as a comment, the Story track is one on the very few things I don't like in the game. Most players have no control whatsoever of it.

all in all, wonderful game.

Caedes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils Cordes
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the Story cards. They might as well be blank tokens (get three, buy one power-up) but this way they act as part of your teams development. It's just one of many little things that make this game so much like a comic book.
The FIRST position (and that has been a frequent problem on this board)is the next card that can come into play, i.e. card No. 4 if you start counting at the pile. So you can move your card up in order to get it faster. And there's no real risk of loosing it since you get it even when someone else brings it into play. Only during Deploy can you loose it. Additionally, some characters' powers enable you to play two Story actions, counting as one. That way you get them fast.
As far as I understood it, non-player cards just get lost without effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I can see a situation coming in a 4 people game when people keep using story action to alter the order and no card get drawn... Until the last player to take action do something else to have the card discarded with no effect...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the story action as a way to get a resource card. The story cards are just gravy. I don't see myself as taking the action JUST to prevent someone else from getting points by re-arranging the order. It also adds a nifty strategic twist. If I know Player A is going to be the only player before me in the next round and that he might very well go after the same headline I want to go after, maybe I'll set his story card on the brink at the end of the current round so he'll have to consider taking the story action to get the easy VP and leaving me to go after that headline. Additionally, two players who have fallen behind could possibly help each other out a bit with the story cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Becerra Aller
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
... maybe I'll set his story card on the brink at the end of the current round so he'll have to consider taking the story action to get the easy VP and leaving me to go after that headline. Additionally, two players who have fallen behind could possibly help each other out a bit with the story cards.

But how would you do that? You can only manipulate the Story track if you have one of your own cards on it (Journalist Event cards aside), and the only thing you can do is put that card on top of the list, preventing the other player's cards to score.

Of course, you can also put one more card in the track, but this will surely give VP to a third player, isn't?

And, to draw resource cards, I prefer using Wolverine/Mr Fantastic/Hulk/Dr. Strange Support Actions. That way I would not give VP to my opponents.

And yes, I know that sometimes it can be profitable to boost my opponent's VP in order to acquire the First Player or Arch-Nemesis token, but those are the exception, not the rule.

Caedes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad. Yeah, re-arranging isn't much use. Still, I have no problem with the story action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Hoppe
Germany
Braunschweig / City of Lions
flag msg tools
mbmb
Caedes wrote:

- The card that goes out of the story track on the Deploy Phase of a Turn is discard without effect, right? So, no points for anyone

Thanks for posting! I haven't played it that way, because I overread this passage.
Another example for the badly organised rules, why do they print "Advance story track" on the "initial set-up" page?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schmoove_de wrote:
Another example for the badly organised rules, why do they print "Advance story track" on the "initial set-up" page?

You know, I saw someone else say this and I have to really wonder what the non-English rulebooks look like. I wouldn't say the rulebook is 100% perfect, but it's well done and it's not nearly as poorly done as the WotR rules (what a mess!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anwar Dalati
Germany
Hamburg-Altona
flag msg tools
mb
As far as I can tell the English and German versions follow the same formatting/layout.

One of the problems I have with the rules is that they are not "chronological". For example "Combat" is handled separately and not under "Missions", although the only time combat occurs is during missions.

- Anwar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anwar wrote:
One of the problems I have with the rules is that they are not "chronological". For example "Combat" is handled separately and not under "Missions", although the only time combat occurs is during missions.

Eh, that doesn't bother me. The Combat rules are footnoted so you can jump over to them if you want. When teaching rules, I don't think they're often taught in strict chronological order anyway. It probably would be more handy when referencing the rulebook though. (shrug) It's just not a very big rulebook anyway. As long as all of the rules are covered clearly (which they aren't, but they got real close) then I'm good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.