Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was doing a search, trying to find good games for kids that feature the auction/bidding mechanic. Specifically, I input:

Rating: 6.5 and up
Weight: up to 2.5 (I used this as my definition for "kid" game)
# of weight ratings: 30
Players: 2 - 4
Max time: 45 minutes
Mechanic: Auction/Bidding

It only gave me 4 games:

Hollywood Blockbuster
Razzia!
Palazzo
Pick Picknic

We already have Pick Picknic, and enjoy it a lot. But I couldn't help thinking there's more out there that aren't properly categorized. First of all, what do you think of the above games? Second, are there popular ones that I'm missing?

Note: I realize I limited my search somewhat, but I wanted to find ones that have a broader range of opinions. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played For Sale with kids as young as 9 and they have thought it was fun (they especially like the blind bidding phase).

Rating: 7.4
Weight: 1.25
Players: 3 to 6
Playing time: 20 minutes

Probably didn't come up on your search since it requires at least three players.

And that's also probably why your search came back with so few games. The vast majority of auction games require at least 3 players. Auction games that can be played with two are much more uncommon.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/172

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How old are your kids?

Here are couple of ideas.

I've played RA with kids as young as 9.

Modern Art was also a big hit with my daughter when she was 8.

Alladdin's Dragons has a blind bidding mechanic which is quite fun and the kids love the jewels and the theme.

Boomtown is also a blast. The artwork is a little racy - featuring a lot of cleaveage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Ra (Razzia)

If you could in-the-fist bidding as an auction, how about O Zoo Le Mio (played nicely)?

For Sale? High Society (animal edition - Einfach Tierisch)?

Aladdin's Dragons or Ys?

eBay the talking auction game?

Good luck. I have the feeling there are some obvious ones I missed. I don't think many would think of Pick Picknic as an auction game.

How about taking a favorite game and auctioning off the properties instead of getting those you land on? This could work for anything from Monopoly to Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're Bluffing!(You're Bluffing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
They're 6 and 10 - although I don't expect the 6YO to play all of our games (she can "grow into them" ).

Thanks for the recommendations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids and I like Vom Kap bis Kairo

It's a nice, simple one. My seven and nine year olds can handle it just fine, it works well 2 player (better with more, but it's not bad), it's cheap, and it's different. It meets all your criteria except that it's not listed with an Auction/bidding mechanic although it definitely is an auction game. The game calls for noting the bids on paper and then comparing them, but we use fake money from Walmart and closed-fist bidding.

I've even played it with my three year old once replacing the bidding with rock/paper/scissors when he insisted on playing it. I haven't tried a rock/paper/scissors variant with other auction games, he just really wanted to play it. He likes trains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Ooh. Good call on Kap bis Kairo.

How about Daytona 500 or Win, Place & Show?

Big Cheese? Queen's Necklace?

Here is a geeklist of two-player auction games:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/4335

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.