Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cacy
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok pardon anything I'm missing "further" in the rules, but this question came up after playing the Ligny scenario:

From the rule set, "Garrisons do not exert a zone of control (6.21) and ignore any retreat results. ... (6.21) A unit must stop moving when it enters a hex adjacent to an enemy unit, skirmisher, or an enemy general."

If Garrison's have no ZOC, then a cavalry unit may choose to ride past the garrison and press the attack elsewhere, correct?

Then other than being some harassing fire, but only if the enemy is foolish enough to end adjacent to the garrisoned force(again from the rule set: They {garrisons} may only attack adjacent enemy units using 4 dice, but may never cause more than 1 hit.), then what advantage is there to a garrison?

I'm going to give up a chip to maybe shoot at people, if they are kind enough to end their turn next to my non-mobile garrison.

When we played Ligny last night, we were using garrison as an "enemy unit," thus having a ZOC. That made things very difficult for the French player (myself) in having to deal with these pockets of Prussians before being able to turn against the main line of the Prussian force.

Am I just missing something here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Crippa
Italy
Lecco
LC
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
James,
(sorry for my english), at this grand tactical scale (divisions), a garrison represent no more than a regiment, usually a batallion...is useful for occupy a town, maintain control or delay enemy advance.

Usually garrisons starting on map in some scenarios, then the defender choose if support them with combat unit or leave garrisons alone...

Eliminate garrisons Is more difficult with adv rules than basic rules.

Adv rules playtesters told me: "Keep it (the game) easy!"
Garrisons and skirmishers are tactical units not influent in a grand tactical scale.
Skirmishers was inglobated in the combat factor at medium range (2 hexes), garrison was considerated a useful but weak unit (4 CF) without zoc.
Keep in mind than the enemy has to use a combat unit if he want attack garrison protecting his rear when he will advance in the battlefield...

Garrisons are a loss of time.
Napoleon said: "You can recover space, you can't never recover time!"

Enjoy the game
gio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Broad
United Kingdom
Unspecified
cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keping on the subject of garrisons, if an enemy was foolish enough to attack a garrison but lucky enough to cause some damage to the garrison, how is this determined?

many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.