Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Chapman
United States
Sarasota
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
My gaming group has been playing a lot of Power Grid lately. The money in Power Grid as in many games is flimsy paper stock. I printed out some name labels with monetary values and applied to old Magic commons. This has worked out great. You can keep your money hidden, all of it has the same back, and you can flip through the cards easily to pay for things.

Which leads me to my question, does anyone sell decks of card stock money?

The Money I can make is good but is a bit of a pain to make. I would also like to have Money for many different games that use the flimsy paper money. I did some basic searching but haven't found it.

Note if you make money for Power Grid and you ever play 6 players make sure you make 35 ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I can't say I've used card-money, our group boils up a huge wet nest of spaghetti noodles and uses those for money. When we're done, we eat the then-brown noodles! YUM! Easy cleanup!

Some also use poker chips, but "clay" can be very dirty!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to consider poker chips (although not for games with hidden money, but I didn't think Power Grid has hidden money). Check out this link for more info on replacing paper money with poker chips:

http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/?p=32

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chapman
United States
Sarasota
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
We have tried poker chips as money replacements. It works ok for some games. It is great for Vegas Showdown. The problem with chips is they are loud, and while they stack well, if you have alot of them they can get to be a pain to manage.

On another note, we have always played Power Grid as a closed money game. I will have to check the rules if we are playing correctly.

I am hoping someone supplies some preprinted money that is card based like the money in Leonardo Davinci or Alhambra. Hopefully with decent values so you only have to get one deck per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
mchapman wrote:

The Money I can make is good but is a bit of a pain to make. I would also like to have Money for many different games that use the flimsy paper money. I did some basic searching but haven't found it.

Note if you make money for Power Grid and you ever play 6 players make sure you make 35 ones.

I just use Poker chips, and I have never seen anyone sell card stock money. If I were inclined to make my own money, I would make my own deck using stickers like you describe, with 6 cards each of the following values: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, & 256. this would allow for up to $511 each in a six player game, and a total of $3,066. It also takes exactly 54 cards (a standard deck plus 2 jokers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just print out a run of some counterfeit notes. Google 'Bank Notes' and search through the images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently thinking about this for a way to make For Sale more portable.

Two decks of cards but a pile of cardboard chips for money. If the money was a deck, it would be pretty compact and much more portable.

After looking around at several options, I think the solution I am going to use is to print denominations on micro-perforated business cards for inkjet printers:

http://www.avery.com/us/Main?catalogcode=WEB01&action=search...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cholewa

Illinois
msg tools
I prefer to keep track using pen and paper. But then again thats just boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
mchapman wrote:

I just use Poker chips, and I have never seen anyone sell card stock money. If I were inclined to make my own money, I would make my own deck using stickers like you describe, with 6 cards each of the following values: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, & 256. this would allow for up to $511 each in a six player game, and a total of $3,066. It also takes exactly 54 cards (a standard deck plus 2 jokers).

That, good sir, is a ridiculously good idea that I'm sure could port to numerous different games that use money. Brilliant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It is a novel and efficient idea, but I'm not so convinced it's a 'good' one unless you know all your opponents are very familiar with binary math. "Yay, I get $500. Give me a $500 bill, please." "No, ma'am, but here's one $256, one $128, one $64, one $32, one $16, and one $4. Wasn't that easy?"

Typical humans can do decimal math in their heads. Not so many are happy doing that level of binary math in their heads - even if it is more efficient or logical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out what one geek did for his Power Grid money:

From the thread discussing the picture:
envision wrote:
The following was used in the creation of these banknotes:

Banknote base templates: adapted from 1967 vintage Bruniean banknotes, downloaded from Ron Wise's World Paper Money gallery site (http://aes.iupui.edu/rwise/default.htm).

Banknote background patterns: extracted from early 20th century vintage Afghani banknotes, downloaded from Ron Wise's World Paper Money gallery site.

Images of power stations from Wikepedia, as follows:
One Electro Note: Iranian oil burning power station.
Five Electro Note: coal burning power plant (GRES-2 Power Station in Ekibastus, Kazakhstan)
Ten Electro Note: Hong Kong's (now inactive) Kwai Chung municipal solid waste power plant (waste-to-energy plant).
Fifty Electro Note: a typical two-unit nuclear power plant.

Image of power plant technician from hi-res scan of cover of Power Grid box cover found here on the Geek (img 136110).

Images were combined in Photoshop, colours adjusted to match colours of original notes from game, and text was added. Images were printed in batches on an Epson CX6500 multifunction printer and cut into individual notes.

Here's a link to the file he posted: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=19449

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
It is a novel and efficient idea, but I'm not so convinced it's a 'good' one unless you know all your opponents are very familiar with binary math. "Yay, I get $500. Give me a $500 bill, please." "No, ma'am, but here's one $256, one $128, one $64, one $32, one $16, and one $4. Wasn't that easy?"

Typical humans can do decimal math in their heads. Not so many are happy doing that level of binary math in their heads - even if it is more efficient or logical.

I reckon that's probably true. This scheme would work best when playing with programming geeks, I suppose. I'd have to reprogram how my brain processed making change, too, which could take a little bit of time. I still like the idea, though. Not something I ever would have thought of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not note cards? I know of plain white/white ones that are less than $1 for 100 or multicolored for $1.5. Just print off money, tape on note cards and all set! Should be a lot sturdier than just the paper, fairly cheap and replaceable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chapman
United States
Sarasota
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Sean, thanks!

That money is excellent. I will have to give a GG tip to the maker. I will probably modify it for size for the printed labels I use.

BTW, if you are printing cards/labels, Avery has some decent software that you can download for free. It has templates for all the Avery cardstock/labels that are made. It isn't the best graphic editor but it can handle small card printing tasks. Get the name badge labels and a handful of Magic cards if you want to print something up quickly on decent stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thommy8 wrote:
You may want to consider poker chips (although not for games with hidden money, but I didn't think Power Grid has hidden money).

One may want to consider using like-coloured poker chips with stickered denominations, for those games where money is hidden. Still some solid, tangible currency to throw around, but by keeping it stacked (and with at least the topmost chip turned value-face-down) the exact amount of wealth can be kept secret.

This method of money-tracking is reminiscent of classic Illuminati. You could see that there's a stack of money there, but you have no odea if it's all ones and twos or if there are some big denominations in the stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.