Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay T Leone
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the game really playable with only 2 players? I know the designers do all the time, but as soon as someone gets the spy potion, it seems like the game is over. One person knows the hunt completely while the other is left clueless.

The ability of characters really stands out in 2 players. The summoner is way too powerful. The necromancer seems to do nothing.

Does the spy potion need to be toned down or removed? There are a few counters, but it's a lot of effort to find the witch hunter and save gold or save the archmage potion just for the spy potion. Can't save it to counter marauder, assassin, or demagog potions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Christenson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Knowing the prophecy does not win you the game. It helps, but there are many other factors you must still do well in.

I agree, the Summoner is too powerful...we play that she can only use her normal ability during a hunt.

I disagree about the Necromancer. He may not have done anything one game, but you gotta play the game towards his abilities.

I really don't think there is a need to remove the Spy's potion...but thats just my opinion...based on hundreds of plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay T Leone
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. It just seems a lot easier to find the things you want in the prophecy when you know everything and your opponent knows nothing. By the time your opponent realizes you almost have all the pieces of the prophecy figured out, it's too late because you throw down a potion of time or equip a hunter which gives them the last piece they need to defeat the Shadow.

I guess I have to get used to the Necromancer as a hero. Only strategies I can think of is making the Assassin/Demagog a Champion or making your opponent bid high. Very hard to do that if they have the Gladiator Champion and/or Jester.

Seems really difficult since there are a lot of counters to the Necromancer (Bodyguard, Priest, Paladin Boots, Archmage).

Do you plan to counter the spy potion in a 2 player game? If not, how do you figure out the prophecy and get the right skills before your opponent does? What would be your battle plan if you were the Necromancer and your opponent uses the spy potion on the first turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Christenson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Interesting...what hunter is the opponent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Christenson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Also, its not as though your opponent know nothing. They start the game knowing 2/3rds of the prophecy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay T Leone
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! I was playing by dealing out all of the prophecy cards. I didn't realize that 3 Prophecy cards are revealed at the start of the game. I guess that makes a big difference with the spy potion (not nearly as powerful).

I totally overlooked that part in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay T Leone
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seaborn wrote:

Hmm, let's say that the opponent is the Princess. So she can make you pay at least 3 shares for any hunter because she can get 3 gold on her turn and disband a hunter that you started the bid on your turn.
If she has ample gold, she can recruit from the Temple (to find the Paladin). All temple members hate the Necromancer.

What's the best strategy for the Necromancer assuming the Princess player knows the Prophecy in the 1st turn from shopping and using the spy potion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Christenson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
jtrleone wrote:
Seaborn wrote:

Hmm, let's say that the opponent is the Princess. So she can make you pay at least 3 shares for any hunter because she can get 3 gold on her turn and disband a hunter that you started the bid on your turn.
If she has ample gold, she can recruit from the Temple (to find the Paladin). All temple members hate the Necromancer.

What's the best strategy for the Necromancer assuming the Princess player knows the Prophecy in the 1st turn from shopping and using the spy potion?

So...yea, I've been slightly avoiding this question. Mainly because there are so many factors that must be weighed in. What Prophecy clues do I know, which Hunters come up, which items do I get, etc? But, everything being equal, I would still play into the Necromancer's abilities and try to keep the opponent from getting 2 of either of the possible fighting skills. See, I know its one of two...since I know two that it isn't...mine and the revealed hand.

Shop a lot, but be very selective with the purchases. If I find the Assassin's Potion, snatch that up since it combo's well with the Necromancer's champ ability. I assume the opponent will be hiring heavily since he knows what he needs. This too can clue me into the Prophecy.

Bid defensively...even giving up 4-5 shares. Then hunt to kill them off and learn the Prophecy to even the playing field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay T Leone
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Thanks for your thought-out answer. +) Since they can't prevent your hunter from suiciding, you'll be able to figure out the prophecy with minimal loss. Sounds interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Christenson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Also keep in mind that if they do choose one of your hunters that you would rather keep, you can use the Necromancer's champion ability to kill of the unwanted Hunter and keep the more valuable one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay T Leone
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seaborn wrote:
Also keep in mind that if they do choose one of your hunters that you would rather keep, you can use the Necromancer's champion ability to kill of the unwanted Hunter and keep the more valuable one.

Aww, you're so smart! Wait, you invented the game. =)

Bottom line is don't let your opponent get the archmage/bodyguard and make him champion. Otherwise he could counter the Necromancer's abilities. Well, the Archmage and Bodyguard pretty much screws other players abilities in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.