Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm looking to award crew members who achieve greatness.

Does anybody know the order of Medals for going above and beyond?

Obviously, I know the Medal of Honor is the top dog, and the pinnacle of wartime achievements. But beyond that, what?

I've heard of several, (Silver Star, Bronze Star, Air Medal) but which is higher ranking? Which is easiest to achieve?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In order of prescedence:

- Medal of Honor
- Distinguished Service Cross (aka: DSC)
- Distinguished Service Medal (aka: DSM)
- Silver Star
- Legion of Merit (not established until July 1942)
- Distinguished Flying Cross (aka: DFC)
- Soldier's Medal
- Bronze Star
- Air Medal (not established until May 1942)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus K
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here are images of some medals and awards: http://www.918archbury.com/Decorations.html

The Bronze Star Medal is not included, because it was not awarded for aerial action. (Not until 1962.) The Bronze Star Medal was established in February 1944, to boost the morale of the infantry men, like the Air Medal did, or was supposed to do, for he airmen.

The Bronze Star was awarded to USAAF service men in the 303rd for
actions not invloving aerial flight. Crew chiefs and chaplains are
among the recipients. I also suspect that the Bronze Star was awarded
for similar actions in other groups, and perhaps medical staff were
also awarded this medal.

A light bomber pilot was awarded the DFC after his tour of 65 missions
and said that non of his crew was awarded the Bronze Star Medal, but
his ground grew reciceved it for their record of repairs.

V for Valor was established in 1944 as an attachment to the Bronze
Star Medal to distinguish the award from those earned through
meritorious service.

The easiest to achive would probably be the Air Medal. It was awarded automatically after 5 or 10 missions in the ETO. The 303rd Bomb Group awarded the Air Medal after 10 missions, and then an oak leaf cluster for each 5th mission. Some airmen say that they were never awarded the Air Medal after a certain number of missions flown, and some say that it was awarded after 10 missions. There are also some that say that they never got the air medal, but the DFC after their completed tour. It might differ between the theaters, and perhaps each HQ decided when and if the Air Medal would be awarded for missions flown.

The Air Medal was awarded for Valor from February 1944 with a Combat V for Valor attached to it.

The 303rd Bomb Group (and other groups too I am sure) awarded the DFC for a completed combat tour prior to June 6, 1944, but awarded only for gallantry after that date.

From February 1944 the Legion of Merit may be awarded with a Combat V attached to it.

The Purple Heart is awarded for being wounded in action or killed in action, but not for accidents or frostbites.

For solitaire B-17, I am working on a method to award crew members a medal for gallantry in action. Crew actions have Decoration Points, and the different decorations have a Decortaion Point Value and a lower Award Point Value. In short, after a mission add all the Decoration Points and see if they are equal to or higher than the Decorataion Point Value for the DFC, for example. Then roll 2D6 to see if HQ will award the crewman a medal. If the DR is equal to or higher than the Award Point Value for the recommended medal, it will be awarded.

Magnus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the info guys - but I'm confused.

From this site:

http://www.acepilots.com/medals/us_ww2_medals.html

The description of the Bronze Star says, "NOT involving aerial flight" yet the listings at the bottom show literally thousands awarded to aerial groups/ssquadrons.

Can you get a Bronze Star for flight heroics or not?

Also, are the Distinguished Service Cross and Distinguished Flight Cross essentiually the same thing (but the flight one is for flight heroics?) ?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus K
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As far as I understand it, the Bronze Star Medal was awarded to USAAF Ground Crew and Chaplains and other personnel on non-flight duties for doing an exceptionally good job on the ground. I suspect that the DFC would be awarded for valor in the air instead of the Bronze Star Medal, which was originally an Army Ground Forces award. The Bronze Star Medal will be awarded for aerial action from 1962.

My answer to your question is that you will NOT be awarded the Bronze Star Medal during World War Two for heroics in the air.

My answer to your second question is that the DSC and the DFC is not on the same level. The DSC is awarded for actions which do not warrant a MOH. Perhaps if a crew man is recommended the MOH but is denied it, he will be awarded the DSC instead. During WW2, several Japanese American infantry men in the 442nd Regiment were awarded the DSC, but had it upgraded to the MOH a few years ago.

Both the DSC and the DFC are awrded for heroics, but the DFC for a lower degree of the valorous action.

Magnus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great stuff - thanks Mag!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus K
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No worries, Edward. I'm glad to help and I hope I have answered som of your questions.

Magnus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.