Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wistfully scan others' session reports while wondering how one finds other gamers to play face-to-face games with. Yes, I know that BGG has a 'find gamers' function, but I sent geekmails to the other five gamers in my area and have heard nothing for days. Perhaps they don't have their geekmail forwarded to their regular eamil (or have it forwarded to an expired email address); perhaps they have a group they play in and they are not interested in branching out.

Anybody can find players to play UNO or Michigan Rummy or other popular games, but finding somebody that plays the type of game that is typically found on Brettspielwelt can be pretty challenging. Can anybody give me ideas on finding these people (who might also be in the same boat as me?)

Incidentally, I'm in the Fort Myers, FL area - would appreciate hints or answers from anybody but in case someone local reads this, I'd like them to know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Start a forum with the title: “Looking for gamers, game groups and/or game stores in Fort Meyers, Florida”.

2. Check BGG’s database for other gamers in your part of the country. Don’t forget to check out other sites like grognard.com as well. Some publishers sites can lead you to local retailers that sell their games.

3. Check the yellow pages under “Toys” and “Games”. Call any store that sells games. Don’t be picky; even though you may not play the type of games they sell at the store, their patrons will usually play other types of games. The questions to ask include: Do you have Game Days or Game Nights where people come to play in the store, or do you have open gaming? Do you have a list of “Opponents Wanted” or a bulletin board with such information?

4. Pick up some gaming magazines, any genre will do. Even if you don’t play D&D, many readers of Dragon magazine play other types of games. These sort of magazines frequently have “Opponents Wanted” lists, lists of gaming conventions and/or advertisements for stores. You should be able to look at such magazines for free at the large books stores like Borders or Barnes and Nobles.

5. Check out nearby gaming conventions. These sites carry con information: www.dragoncon.com, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaming_convention, and http://www.gameconventions.net/. Cons usually have a dealer’s room where local vendors come to sell their wares. There will probably be a flea market where you might be able to make contacts with local gamers. There will probably be gamers from your area at the convention – wear a T-Shirt that says that you are looking for gamers from Fort Meyers, Florida. The convention organizers will have names and addresses of the attendees, from which they might give you local contacts.

6. If you have a local college or colleges, they probably have one or more game clubs. Try the college website; they might list student organizations and points of contact.

I wish you luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to find "gamers". You can introduce games to non-gamers.

Recruit all your friends and family. If you're short on them then go make some friends at work or a place where people like you go (game store? bar? coffee shop?).

If you're still a little in the closet or aren't that social then work on subtle lures like answering questions like "what did you do on your holiday" with "I played some boardgames". That might lead to "what games" then you say kinda normal ones like scrabble, or something and add a game you like in the middle.

When they ask what the heck Evo, Powergrid, or Settlers of whatever-you-just-said is then explain it in the broadest most appealing way. Maybe they'd like to play it, or they know somebody (you'd be surprised by the number of "oh, my brother plays those kinda games" you get).

Another way is to get friends first, and then spring a card game on them while waiting for something. If you're sitting someplace like a mall, McDonald's or something then pull out a quick 15 min card game. They'll comment on how it's not like any game they've played before, and ask a few questions.

The short answer is: If you can't find gamers; make gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MusedFable wrote:
Another way is to get friends first, and then spring a card game on them while waiting for something. If you're sitting someplace like a mall, McDonald's or something then pull out a quick 15 min card game. They'll comment on how it's not like any game they've played before, and ask a few questions.

Thanks for the prompt answers! I will have to try some of these things.

In my experience, the one shown here has little chance of working. 25-30 years ago when I was a young adult, I used to take many 3 hour Greyhound bus trips. I would very frequently try to engage any of the other passengers on the bus in some game to pass the time away. At the time, I only had cards (I knew many card games), a mini chess set, a mini backgammon set, and a few other travel games. I would almost never get a taker - with an average of about 30 people on the bus. If I had to guess, I would guess that games are even less popular now (except the video/computer kind.)

As to making gamers out of non-gamers, my wife and I have tried this in the past. While initial attempts are successful, my wife and I both have the annoying trait of being reasonably good game players and a newbie to strategy games tires quickly of getting crushed. When we go away on a weekend that several gamers attend, we barely hold our own in the games, so it seems like the hints for finding those who are already gamers should be the ones we follow. In any event, I do appreciate the responses... one of the reasons I love the BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paulhar wrote:
As to making gamers out of non-gamers, my wife and I have tried this in the past. While initial attempts are successful, my wife and I both have the annoying trait of being reasonably good game players and a newbie to strategy games tires quickly of getting crushed. When we go away on a weekend that several gamers attend, we barely hold our own in the games, so it seems like the hints for finding those who are already gamers should be the ones we follow.

If you're good at the games you play, start with something very luck heavy like Settlers, and then if someone is losing really badly, it's the fault of the dice - not the play of any particular player. I don't know how much I agree with springing a game on someone cold turkey... I like games, but wouldn't want to play one while sitting in a mall or eating in a restaurant, and I bet I'm not the only one. Lots of people have comfort zones of when and where they'll do particular activities. (gee, that sounds like something I didn't mean it to!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gravitt
United States
Northglenn
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We've had a lot of success with starting a Meetup Group for gamers in our area. Although there are several game groups locally, the meetup group seems easy for new gamers to stumble upon.

Cental Texas Boardgames Meetup
http://boardgames.meetup.com/360/

Even if you don't maintain your meetup site, you can try it for a few months and keep the gamers you find and enjoy. I say that because it is a pay service. A great feature is you can look at how many people in your area have subscribed to boardgame "alert." This group of people, and don't be surprised if it's 20 to 50, will automatically receive a notice of any new meetups that are about games. Then it will be your job to host a meetup and introduce gamers to new fun games. At our meetup someone brought Monopoly and Sequence. Fortunately someone rescued them with a fun game of the Downfall of Pompeii followed by King Me.

Good luck,
John Gravitt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
jgravitt wrote:
At our meetup someone brought Monopoly and Sequence.

You mean I cannot bring Monopoly: Stock Exchange to the next meetup?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.