Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Allen
Australia
Ngunnawal, Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have 3 boys (6, 4 and 2) and the wife and I often play Carcassonne with Inns & Cathedrals with the 2 eldest (excluding farmer scoring), as well as a modified verison of Ticket to Ride.

The 4 yr old likes Carcassonne (seems to be his favourite game), so we were wondering if he might like (say now at 4 1/2 for Christmas, his 5th birthday, or later) some of the other Carcassonne games, such as Discovery, Castle or Hunters & Gatherers.

Thoughts and recommendations appreciated!

Cheers,
Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Similar games for the young kids would be Landlock and there's a Carc-ish game with sheep, but I don't remember the name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thies Kolln
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our older daughter started on Hunters & Gatherers just before her 6th birthday and recently tried The Castle at 6 1/2. Both were solid winners for her, so I'd recommend either. Both games also have equivalents to farmers (hunters and traders respectively) that are easier to score, so you can play the full game with your kids as opposed to modifying it. We own Discovery, but haven't played with her yet. I don't think that would be as good for a 4 or 5 year old as the other two because the artwork isn't much fun compared to other versions and the game play is a bit less straightforward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tubarush wrote:
... and there's a Carc-ish game with sheep, but I don't remember the name.

Are you thinking about Wooly Bully?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re the landlock comment from Tubarush - Landlock isn't really for *young* kids. It is simpler in several ways to normal carc (no stealing of tiles, fewer tiles so the game is shorter, no decision about when and where to place meeples), but the final scoring is a little bit hard to visualize. You have to really be planning ahead to build a network that touches as many sides as possible, so I don't expect a 4 year old to be competitive at it against an adult. My daughter, age 4, plays carc w/o farmers also (although to be competitive I play by "make nice" rules, no stealing things, and no playing tiles just to block her scoring opportunities).

Landlock still looks like a fun game. But if I wanted a tile-laying where I play nice to give her a chance, I'd stick with carc. I'll wait until it seems she'll be competitive at landlock, then show it to her...maybe when she is 5 or 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GeminiWeb wrote:
Hi,

I have 3 boys (6, 4 and 2) and the wife and I often play Carcassonne with Inns & Cathedrals with the 2 eldest (excluding farmer scoring), as well as a modified verison of Ticket to Ride.

The 4 yr old likes Carcassonne (seems to be his favourite game), so we were wondering if he might like (say now at 4 1/2 for Christmas, his 5th birthday, or later) some of the other Carcassonne games, such as Discovery, Castle or Hunters & Gatherers.

Thoughts and recommendations appreciated!

Cheers,
Bill

I'm in a similar situation with four kids, a girl 9, a boy 6, and two boys 3.

I'm going to recommend that you do not purchase the game for your 4-year-old.

A couple of reasons -- although your boy plays the game and enjoys it with you, it's likely not going to work as a self-play game, especially with a 2-year-old in the mix. Most likely the tiles are going to end up being lost or eaten or beaten to bits, and your boy will not get the same sort of enjoyment out of it. The meeps will have to go if there's a 2-year-old loose in the house. If it is his game, he should be free to take it down when he chooses, and likely it will not survive to New Years Day given your current position in the life curve.

Instead, I'd recommend your wife take the boys out and have them buy a new game for you that is appropriate for reaching down to younger kids, and let your 4-year-old get good old fashioned toys instead. This gift they give you could be a Carc expansion, or Through the Desert, or Cartagena, or Blokus. Plenty of other recommendations out there if you look a bit.

With the game in your sphere of control, it will come out when you are in a position to watch over the session and the play-time will be better managed so that he has the structure needed for the learning to sink in. Although Carc "ages down" well, it still needs adult supervision to work properly, particularly as your 2-year-old with his less-coordinated hands starts coming into the mix.

Instead I'd consider Jenga, a dexterity game that can double as a set of blocks (and it's not a crisis if you lose a few) or perhaps big Duplos or Lincoln logs. These are self-play toys that are very effective in the 4-8 year-old bracket, are excellent at teaching creativity and spatial skills, and the pieces are too big for the 2-year-old to eat.

Your boy will benefit from both the new game that is well structured and other toys that work better for when he needs to play by himself or with his younger brother.

Giving games to kids is great, but plan on being in the mix until they reach about ten. Siblings rarely manage games without turmoil until they're older.

For what it's worth.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Allen
Australia
Ngunnawal, Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your comemnts to date. It's much appreciated.

Sagrilarus wrote:

A couple of reasons -- although your boy plays the game and enjoys it with you, it's likely not going to work as a self-play game, especially with a 2-year-old in the mix. Most likely the tiles are going to end up being lost or eaten or beaten to bits, and your boy will not get the same sort of enjoyment out of it. The meeps will have to go if there's a 2-year-old loose in the house. If it is his game, he should be free to take it down when he chooses, and likely it will not survive to New Years Day given your current position in the life curve.

With the game in your sphere of control, it will come out when you are in a position to watch over the session and the play-time will be better managed so that he has the structure needed for the learning to sink in. Although Carc "ages down" well, it still needs adult supervision to work properly, particularly as your 2-year-old with his less-coordinated hands starts coming into the mix.

Instead I'd consider Jenga, a dexterity game that can double as a set of blocks (and it's not a crisis if you lose a few) or perhaps big Duplos or Lincoln logs. These are self-play toys that are very effective in the 4-8 year-old bracket, are excellent at teaching creativity and spatial skills, and the pieces are too big for the 2-year-old to eat.

Your boy will benefit from both the new game that is well structured and other toys that work better for when he needs to play by himself or with his younger brother.

Giving games to kids is great, but plan on being in the mix until they reach about ten. Siblings rarely manage games without turmoil until they're older.

For what it's worth.

Sag.

Thanks for this. Yes, as it stands, the boys only play boardgames when the two year old is having his afternoon sleep, so I take your point. (Funnily enough the 2 year old seems less liekly that the 6 year old to stick something in his mouth!).

They will occassionally play games wit each other, but always prefer to have us involved.

They have a Jenga-clone and it comes out occassionally. I like the idea regarding games with spatial skills as the 4 yr old likes jigsaw puzzles (upt o about 200 pieces), for example.

Cheers,
Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. P. Harris
United States
flag msg tools
FWIW, I played Wooly Bully with my 8-year-old niece once and it was too difficult for her. I found it a bit involved, myself and we have not played since (it's been about 2 years!). I played Landlock once and it was more of a challenge than I expected. I own it, however, I won't play with my 5-year-old niece, yet...i think it is more appropriate for about 6 or 7 year-old kids. As for Hunters & Gatherers, many people here have recommended this for 6 year-olds and older. I haven't played it myself but am going to give it to my 7-year-old nephew for x-mas. I am relying on BGG recommendations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola O\'Brien
Canada
flag msg tools
Another similar game idea for young ones is the Kids of Catan. My son started playing it at 2 1/2 years (with adult supervision) and just loves it (he stopped putting things in his mouth after his first birthday, so that was never a concern). I think the game is slatted for 4 years plus. 4 is probably actually a perfect age to start with it.

Lola

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.