Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Our playgroup, Team Dream, has decided to up the stakes on our game-playing by keeping records of wins, losses, and final scores of every game played. We will update our rankings based on the ELO statistical method used by chess and numerous other games. We have already begun calculating our rankings from Puerto Rico games played last night. Now, we have a few games of Lost Cities to add to the mix.

I came home for lunch (I'm a teacher with an extra long prep period, so I have a LONG lunch. Normally, I would take a short nap and get some lunch, but since rankings have come out, my roommates and I have been dying to test our mettle in an even more competitive setting.

Tim and I played two matches of Lost Cities. His newest strategy, of dumping everything from his hand save two colors, is not working so well. His premise is that I can't possibly benefit from cards in such a variety of colors, and that he will benefit by focusing his attention on grabbing every or nearly every card in two colors. While I may get single digit points in four different colors, he will score multitudes of points and even the 20-point bonus in one or both of his colors. This is proving a flawed strategy, as I pick up his chaff and turn it into bonus points for myself.

In a third game played just minutes ago when I got home from school/work, he tried his strategy for perhaps the last time.

After round 1: Me - 142, Tim - 14
After round 2: Me - 157, Tim - 11
After round 3: Me - 191, Tim - 45

My average score is going through the roof while my ELO ranking is consistently increasing. All the while, Tim's hopes of boosting his composite score over all games is taking a demoralizing blow. Perhaps he'd be better off sticking to Puerto Rico: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/137018
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/137063

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.