Lucas Emery
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, the Fedex man was nice enough to drop off my copy of the first Commands and Colors expansion today, here's a few quick thoughts:

Some new unit types (slingers, camels) and a couple new mechanics to add into the mix but not an overwhelming increase in complexity (the bane of many a game expansion).

A ton of new scenarios (21, I believe). Some of which are Greek v. Roman, so you can mix and match core game armies with this new expansion. Also like what looks to be an increased attention to terrain features in the new scenarios.

Persian unit blocks are a sandy brown and Greeks a cool oceanic blue.

Art is top notch. The pictures are iconic enough that they can be easily identified at a glance, but artful enough that they look really great on the battle field.

Over 300 new blocks to sticker. If you're the personality type that enjoys quietly assembling a jigsaw puzzle on a Sunday afternoon then you're in for a treat. Personally, I find the stickering to be a relaxing affair, but I understand some may be put off by it. At least it's less labor-intensive than painting and assembling minis.

The dice (Was I the only one who didn't have a problem with the original dice? Really?) are heavier, and the stickers for them are smaller than in the core game, allowing them a nicer fit on the die faces.

All in all, I'm really happy with what I've seen. If you own and enjoy the C&C core game, I'd go so far as to call this expansion essential. In fact, I think I'm off to go pre-order the next one right now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
There were many of us who never gave the original dice a second thought, we simply used them to play the game. I haven't had a chance yet to even look inside my copy of this expansion so reading there are 21 NEW scenarios has me planning a sticker evening soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm another who found the original dice adequate, but love the Valley Games wooden dice. I doubt I'll use either set of big plastic dice now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you get the Valley Games dice? Is there a website?

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
http://storesense2.megawebservers.com/stores/h/HS2586/index....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.