Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: tanga [+] [View All]
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
Sorry for the cross-post, but with 19 out of the last 30 posts in gaming, I'm starting to feel it's time for a separation of the Tanga Hot Deals from general gaming forum threads. In its own module Aldie could give it a prominent default position, non-US users could just remove it all together, same for US folk who wish to ignore it. And those willing (and able!) to get the deals could stick it anywhere they wanted to.

I respects Aldie's income streams, but also think this is BGG, not a Tanga billboard. If any other outside website would take over the forum threads like this I'm sure admins would take action. In Tanga's case I hope that is a solution that keeps all up us happy.

My BGG suggestion:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1194220#1194220

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well stated. Reasonable suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold out already?

Dang!

I was hoping to buy three; one for me and two as gifts.

Hope they add more BoardGameGeeks soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
it's cyber monday and many of the deals are great games, so I think it's just a temporary thing, but I can certainly put all the consumer related forum posts into a module, and then you are free to ignore it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the problem if it is games that are being posted for sale on Tanga. I would never have heard about the FFG sale if it hadn't been posted on this forum a couple of times. OR sales at Toys R US, etc. Its one of the top things I'm looking for when I check forums.

That said--I do understand your concerns and am not belittling them...but then should there be a whole separate section on deals/sales separate from FORUM?

PLUS--its Christmas right around the corner and people are looking for deals for gifts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
Aldie wrote:
it's cyber monday and many of the deals are great games, so I think it's just a temporary thing, but I can certainly put all the consumer related forum posts into a module, and then you are free to ignore it.

Cheers Aldie, I did realize that today was exceptional, but there has been steady Tanga creep (congratulations), and I thought it would make sense for all concerned.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would hate to see the Hot Deals moved off the front page. I would have missed out on both Fantasy Flight's and Hasbro's recent sales if they hadn't jumped out at me from the front page.

That said, I do think, that if Tanga ever does another Tangathon (and after tonight's they may decide it's too much trouble ), Tanga-ers should not post each individual board game deal. They came and went too fast, almost all the games were sold out in a matter of a few minutes. I can see a general post that there's a Tangathon going on and there will be a lot of games, but each specific one seems excessive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
Denise wrote:
I would hate to see the Hot Deals moved off the front page.

Hi Denise. That's not the suggestion. The suggestion is to keep it on the front page, but in its own module. So no longer as part of the Forum threads, but as Aldie hinted at, a seperate "Hot Deals module".

If you want it on the front page, it will be there, and you can even have it right at the top as an eyecatcher, with all the deals in one neat list.

The added bonus though is that as a separate module, those who wanted to hide it from view also have that option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i concur, i'm all over the tanga deals, have the rss feed, get the emails, have made purchase(s)...but i dont see the need for SOLDOUT posts every 10 minutes...

thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree. It seems like half the posts are about Tanga these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 It's just one day.

#2 A pinned Tangathon [post your tangathon comments here] Thread would solve any future problems WITHOUT having to add a whole new module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that a pinned Tangathon thread makes more sense than a new module. I think too many modules is overkill, and I like to see the other Hot Deals as part of the general Forums thread, it would just be good if all the Tangathon deals were part of a single thread, rather than a different thread for each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. This would also actually promote the "hot deals" section as it would stand out and not get muddled by game discussion. Sometimes you miss good deal just because other discussions clear out the deals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, please, do something with this Tanga! I come back this evening and like, every other post in the general forum is "Tanga this" and "Tanga that"! Please find Tanga a nice home on the front page other than the general gaming forum, PLEASE!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Martin
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is about the best idea I've heard of in a long while!

Although it's true that the recent Tanga activities are higher than normal, even before that there was always at least two, sometimes more posts about what the current Tanga deal is.

I actually haven't been following any forum posts for quite some time now, as it seems like most of the topics that appear on the front page are all related to people who want to browse the web for me. That takes a lot of the fun out of it, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I've got an idea, perhaps those who care about the Tanga deals should browse Tanga and leave BGG for religious microbadge discussions.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to play a game ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've been part of the Tanga buying frenzy and also the posting glut on Hot Deals, but I can't understand why it's an issue from a gaming posting standpoint. Big Woo, you're in Scotland and you can't buy the Tanga stuff, I get that, but how is the Tanga posting making this site cluttered?

On my customized BGG front page I see tons of other stuff that's not Tanga - geeklists, game forums+, trade forums, reviews, etc.

And if I click on the Games Forums section I see a whole series of folders of which the only one with Tanga traffic is the Hot Deals section.

Don't get it. It's a big site. Tanga traffic is small compared to the whole enchilada. Click somewhere else on the menu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
non-US users could just remove it all together

That would be nice. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hot Deals forum is now in its own module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gobbeg wrote:
Don't get it. It's a big site. Tanga traffic is small compared to the whole enchilada. Click somewhere else on the menu.

There's really nothing to get. It's like those folks whom complain about certain threads of lists or posters yet continue to read them on their own free will. I don't get it either, it just is.

As for the module, I like it. It'll make it easier to pinpoint deals when they pop up. Now if we could have one for the wargaming forum...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
Woaw, and implemented within hours. Much appreciated Aldie, on all sorts of levels.

gobbeg wrote:

Andrew, I'm not too bothered if you get "it" or not. Especially if you confuse a complaint about the content of a thread with a request to give a particular type of forum posting header that is commercial in nature, dealing with external sites, and exclusive to only part of the user base its own place, based largely on the proliferation of these headers.

When people who come here and ask a question in General Gaming are getting drowned out, on any day, by people who are starting to give an blow by blow account about what is going on on an external site, than I feel it has gone beyond simply telling people to dive in a bit deeper using the menu tree structure.

And if people, who are keen to point out that users could simply use the Forum menu structure, were equally able to put their own understanding of Forum threads to good use, and contain the postings within a single thread, you might not even have provoked the request.

Maybe it was purely enthusiasm of Tanga groupies to celebrate a particular great day for hot deals on an external site, but the habit of starting a new thread for each item, combined with the CAPITALIZATION of the repetitive "sold out" yell made the entire top layer of the module unreadable. It made non-Tanga posts pretty hard to spot.

I never said the site was cluttered, I did say that the Forum module on the front page was getting cluttered with very prolific Tanga headers. Yesterday two thirds of all new Forum threads were Tanga ones, usually statements that something was sold out. Meaning: no longer available. Making them pointless to just about everyone.

I was aware that yesterday was a special Tangathon, and I am also aware that in the run up to x-mas all Hot Deals are particularly welcome to some users here. Saying that, there has been Tanga creep, and since I am by default excluded from using its services, even if I want to ship to the US, maybe I am just more motivated to find a way to filter it out by default.

But it did make me think how it would be possible to let everyone have their cake and eat it. I thought it was a reasonable and positive suggestion and am glad it got taken up.

I really should know better, but it always amazes me how quick Aldie can reply and implement, and I think a lot of users will be well chuffed with the new solution.

Time for some gaming...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BigWoo wrote:
Denise wrote:
I would hate to see the Hot Deals moved off the front page.

Hi Denise. That's not the suggestion. The suggestion is to keep it on the front page, but in its own module. So no longer as part of the Forum threads, but as Aldie hinted at, a seperate "Hot Deals module".

Ah, see, that's what I get for reading late at night Thanks BigWoo!! I have the HotDeals module on my front page now, and have to say I really like it this way!! Thanks BigWoo for suggesting an elegant solution to the problem!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Leveille
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being from one of those exotic countries that are banned from Tanga deals, i would happily pay GG for a "Tanga Blocker".

I let me buy the crap. That would work too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.