Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » General

Subject: Similar Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Tamayo
United States
California
flag msg tools
Since an expansion will never happen, does anyone know of any similar games? I enjoy the game despite it's flaws becausse of it's speed, simplicity, and variability. The entire premise is perfect for what my friends and I look for in a board game.

Specifically:
1. We enjoy the role-playing aspect of a selection of characters and finding items along the way.

2. The speed that the game can be completed (even if it is completely one-sided most of the time).

3. Having a changing objective and cooperative gameplay.

I enjoy Talisman, but don't want to shell out the $400+ for the 2nd Ed and expansions. Also, I think Talisman takes too long.

Arkham Horror looks interesting but it says it takes 2-4 hours, if the whole 2 hours is exciting I wouldn't mind.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Ulrich
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Chill: Black Morn Manor. It has a lot in common with Betrayal. You built a mansion and garden with tiles, some players are investgators trying to stop the evil of the mansion, a single player is the henchman of the evil. There are possibilities to change sides during the game. And, of course, there are different evil overlords to defeat. There is also a special event deck, which uses different cards, corresponding to the evil overlord used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it yet but When Darkness Comes looks to be a similar game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still get Chill: Black Morn Manor new (though over 20 years old) from the publisher's unsold stock:

http://www.orphyte.com/catalog/chill.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis Anderson wrote:
You can still get Chill: Black Morn Manor new (though over 20 years old) from the publisher's unsold stock:

http://www.orphyte.com/catalog/chill.html

I wouldn't be so sure in saying that unless you've actually been in contact with the company. That site hasn't been updated in years - it still links to the old Mayfair site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay T Leone
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with When Darkness Comes. It's a highly customizable game and has a better RPG element to the game. The only drawback is probably the pieces since the miniatures come unpainted.

I've played Arkham Horror. I really don't like it because it is slow. Sometimes it's way too easy, sometimes way too hard. The only fun thing to do is read the text on the card and resolve it. Collecting weapons can be fun, but the cooperative aspect takes away from individual player goals. You feel more like a pawn than a chessmaster.

If you give up on Betrayal, the next logical step for me would be When Darkness Comes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rogers
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Quest (sometimes spelt Dungeonquest) is a fun, short, somewhat silly game that I think has a similar feel to betrayal (without the cooperative aspect). You can usually pick it up on eBay for less than $50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure in saying that unless you've actually been in contact with the company. That site hasn't been updated in years - it still links to the old Mayfair site.

Brand new copies of the game are certainly around. I got one shipped from the US from some retailer, I forget the name, for such a bargain price it made the exhorbitant shipping seem worthwhile. And shamelessly for an old, rare game I managed to scuff the box corners almost the minute I broke the shrinkwrap.

Anyway, the original poster might be interested to know that Chill: Black Morn Manor is actually the inspiration behind BaHotH. The games have very similar themes, but they play quite differently. Whilst it is fairly simple and very variable BMM isn't fast - like many older games it's core system is good fun but it sometimes drags on past its welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also "Shadows over Camelot".

It fits the bill regarding:

- role playing - players are different knights of Arthur's Round Table
- cooperative game play
- takes about 90 to 120 mins - so comparitively short
- knights go on various quests
- similar to 'Betrayal', there are changing allegiances, i.e. a traitor that's only discovered at later stages in the game

It's slightly different, in terms of:

- doesn't have the discovery component of "Betrayal"
- different theme, non-Horror

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Murphy
United States
California
flag msg tools
Can we all pester Bruce Glassco to offer, say, FFG his new game, 'Hetrayal at Bouse on the Bill'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hélio Andrade
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definetly get Shadows Over Camelot. A must among my gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tamayo
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clue Mysteries is a great mix of Betrayal and Clue. The board doesnt change, but it does have 50 mysteries and some neat clue mechanics. It is a bit lighter than Betrayal (both in setting and strategy) so it is a great choice for younger gamers. But I have played a few times and enjoy it alot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
my votes on when darkness comes - great co-op game, little more complicated but nothing too much, cheap and lots of expansions with differing themes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game that definitely has a couple of similarities is:
Last night On Earth: the zombie game

It has co-op, senarios and a similar level of complexity / simplicity.

My copy is comming in the mail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nolan
United States
Fort Scott
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Panic Station? It has that "betrayer" aspect to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.