Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacek Nowak
Poland
Warsaw
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that all the armies that are not yet on the board are considered to stay in the castle area. Does that mean that they can attack from that field if any enemy army comes close enough? Can they advance after such an attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ja_n wrote:
The rules say that all the armies that are not yet on the board are considered to stay in the castle area. Does that mean that they can attack from that field if any enemy army comes close enough? Can they advance after such an attack?

*****No, they can't. Basically if the unit is not on the board it cannot act. Saying the unit is "within its castle" is a nice way of saying it is out of play.

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.
www.zmangames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Nowak
Poland
Warsaw
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this might create a big problem for some players. If two players put their castles close to the same corner, and the third player puts his castle close to them - there might be a situation where one player is attacked from both sides and eventually completely blocked - just by putting enemy armies on all exits from the castle - no more units may be introduced on the board. In a 3-4 hours game this might be a real problem. (I played a game where one player was quite close to this, but we allowed attacks directly from the castle)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ja_n wrote:
Well, this might create a big problem for some players. If two players put their castles close to the same corner, and the third player puts his castle close to them - there might be a situation where one player is attacked from both sides and eventually completely blocked - just by putting enemy armies on all exits from the castle - no more units may be introduced on the board. In a 3-4 hours game this might be a real problem. (I played a game where one player was quite close to this, but we allowed attacks directly from the castle)

****Hi, Jacek:

Hmmm, well, firstly, the castles are placed one player at a time, so you see where the previous castle goes and therefore can place yours far away. Also, I believe there can only be one castle per board - and if you didn't do that that should be the answer to the closeness problem.

Secondly, no one can occupy your castle space so you could still bring out 1-2 tiles. If somehow your opponents are blocking you, you could probably bring out enough force to break through one space (and if you already have guys outside the castle, bring them in for a combined attack).

Also, if the players are blocking you you have the freedom to use your outside guys to take towns and villages and gain VP.

Finally, if it is at a point where they are blocking you, then I'm wondering if you are already losing so really they are fighting amongst themselves for victory.

The above two answers are situational - I don't know what was going on in your game and am attempting to figure out what would happen if you were somehow completely blocked. But I think the first response I had is what is causing the issue: that you guys are placing your castles incorrectly.

But let me know where the castles have been placed and I'll see if I can narrow down an answer (if none of the above has answered your concern).

Z-Man Games, Inc.
www.zmangames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Nowak
Poland
Warsaw
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zman wrote:
Hmmm, well, firstly, the castles are placed one player at a time, so you see where the previous castle goes and therefore can place yours far away. Also, I believe there can only be one castle per board - and if you didn't do that that should be the answer to the closeness problem.

Well, as I understood the rules, there can be only one castle per board EDGE, not per BOARD. I'll check it again at home. Looks reasonable, but what about spaces that span across two boards (in the middle of the edge where two small boards touch)? When I am placing my castle as the first player, I have no control over how close my opponents put their castles.

Zman wrote:
Secondly, no one can occupy your castle space so you could still bring out 1-2 tiles. If somehow your opponents are blocking you, you could probably bring out enough force to break through one space (and if you already have guys outside the castle, bring them in for a combined attack).

Well as I understood the rules, they are quite clear that I don't count the castle space as a movement point. All my armies are already there right from the game start. They are not stacked on that tiny space just for convenience. But when I move my Baron out of the castle (4 spaces), the first space to count is one of the spaces next to my castle, and NOT the castle space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ja_n wrote:

Well as I understood the rules, they are quite clear that I don't count the castle space as a movement point. All my armies are already there right from the game start. They are not stacked on that tiny space just for convenience. But when I move my Baron out of the castle (4 spaces), the first space to count is one of the spaces next to my castle, and NOT the castle space.

***Actually you do count the castle space as a movement. So when a unit enters the board it enters in the castle space and that counts as 1 movement.

Regarding placement - even if somehow the next player put a castle next to your edge (but on another board), there is no way a third player could block you on the other side. So you always have room to maneuver (unless you are doing very, very poorly and your opponent is really, really out to get you - and even then you can get your Baron and one other unit into your castle place and bust through).

Believe me this is hard to explain without having the boards in front and showing it.

Z-Man Games, Inc.
www.zmangames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario papini
Italy
bologna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Regarding this rule I specify:
1) The castle is the starting point of the movement. This means that you don't count the castle as the first movement point. The first territory you enter is the first movement point of your movement.
2) The board has 4 edges, and the rule says that you cannot place your castle in the 4 corners. So, for example, it could happen that you (player A) place your castle in the second territory, starting from right, in the upper edge. Another player (B) places his castle in the second upper territory of the right edge. In this situation, there will be 2 castles near to each other.
Player B has placed the castle as last, so decides the order of movement.
If the first to move is A, he must place a unit in the first territory next to his castle, to avoid to be blocked. In the attack phase A will attack first and can eliminate any blocking unit.
If the first to move is B, if he wants to block he must move a unit next to the player A's castle, but player A sees this movement and he will have always a free territory to enter the board.
As his second movement, the player A can bring another unit into the board, crossing his first unit, and this second unit can be a problem for the player B...
I've played Feudo many times and I can say that the strategy of blocking the enter from an enemy castle has never been a good choice.
Of course, if a player wants to avoid this problem, he must choose to place his castle in the center of one of the 4 edges (more or less), not near its corner.

Have fun with Feudo.

Mario Papini
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.