Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Wood
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love to play M vs S. We're still only finding our feet though, and the last game we played proved how tight this one can be.

Claire is much more of a from-the-gut player while I tend towards looking at numbers and values - as it turns out, Claire's method seems to have been working a little better of late.

Round one passed fairly quickly with me seemingly either underpricing (with Claire taking the goods) or overpricing (with me having to foot the bill). This led to about a 50 lead for Claire with some tasty leads on the monopoly tracks (myself only having a monopoly in 1 good).

Round two had me deciding to try and claw back the monopolies I had lost out on in round one. I managed to claw back a couple into the neutral spots but I probably overspent (yet again) doing that - and also managed to lessen the gap a bit on the other two or so that Claire was monopolising. Having concentrated too much on that, I completely neglected to watch the value amounts in each port and only managed a slim points victory in one of them with Claire taking the other two - twenty more points down! The gap had now widened to almost 100 points the difference between us!

Round three was a bit of a blur. I had decided to scrap the numbers game in favour of a play-it-as-it-lies strategy. After declining a couple of Claire's 3-tile sets (I do buy the tiles she draws far too regularly) and cheaply pricing some 1-tile sets that would be bad for her so I could have them for next to nothing, I realised I was somehow back in the running! The game played out with me filling my boats and Claire having just one space left. At the count-up it was a win for me by just 3 points ninja

Now, I know neither of us have yet found the optimum level of playing the game, but we both enjoy sitting down and playing none-the-less. And at least, for all our mistakes, we're both making those same sub-optimal plays - so it kinda evens out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of getting this for my wife for Christmas (I'm all heart, me, totally selfless and always thinking of others). She really likes Medici (we haven't got it but her mum has) and we like a good 2-player battle.

Sounds like you'd recommend it, is that right?

Eddy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wood
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do indeed heartily recommend this one - especially if you like a good 2-player rumble every now and then! And if you are already a fan of Medici then you can't go wrong.

A very nice buy for you, I mean the wife, for Xmas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have occasionally bought her a game as a gift and such presents have invariably been greeted by great cynicism all round. Comments hinting that I may have had myself in mind have always been totally unfounded. I ask you, do I complain when she buys me a new scented candle?*

Eddy (buying early and often for Christmas)

* yes, I do actually. This possibly ruins the argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.