BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a Good Board Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] christmas [+] [View All]
Kanalja
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
'In Russia all roads lead to Moscow. One chooses the road one wishes. Charles XII chose the road through Poltava.'
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

I am willing to buy my brother a board game as a Christmas present, but I don’t know which one to get him. Therefore I decided to ask you guys to give me some suggestions.

Here is a list of games I have played with him and he has really enjoyed:
1. Ticket to Ride
2. Samurai
3. El Grande
4. Maharaja
5. High Society
6. Hey! That’s my Fish!
7. Chess

The game I am looking for should have good quality components, engaging theme and rules that are rather easy to learn. Above all the game should make its players to think and the winner should always be the one who made the best decisions.

I know my brother does not like games that contain an enormous amount of components or take longer than two hours to play (he really did not like Caylus, but said he might give it another chance someday).

What do you think I should get him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico seems to fit all your requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe one of these...
Catan
Carcassonne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Maloney
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How old is the brother?

Based on what he seems to enjoy and bearing in mind the 'too many components' restriction, you might try Thurn Und Taxis. Robber Knights by Rudiger Dorn is decent and has the added advantage of being less expensive than some of the mainstream Euros that get a lot of attention.

If you can get him past the 'too many components' thing, the sky's the limit, since what he seems to enjoy places him just a step beyond the 'newbie to Euros' category. Puerto Rico and Leonardo DaVinci come to mind, as does Euphrat & Tigris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kanalja
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
'In Russia all roads lead to Moscow. One chooses the road one wishes. Charles XII chose the road through Poltava.'
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi again and thank you for these quick suggestions!

I totally forgot to mention few things and think I must correct things while I still can. My brother is 27-years-old. The list of games he has played contains games that my friends and I already own, so I am not willing to give him any of them. Otherwise Samurai, for example, would be a good buy. This also goes for Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne, nice games, but ones that our game group already has.

I was actually thinking about Puerto Rico, which I have not played, but was afraid of it being too close to Caylus. Considering Pedro’s comment this is not the case. It is also a game I would very much like to give a try. Thurns und Thaxis is another game I had in mind. The problem with this, however, is that there is going to be a Finnish language release on the markets soon and I have a hunch that at least some of the guys in our group are getting it for Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon City
Amun-Re
Taj Mahal
Puerto Rico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amun-Re
Taj Mahal
Puerto Rico
Euphrates & Tigris
Hermagor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal, Pompeji, VIKTORY II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I second...

Puerto Rico
Tikal
Taj Mahal

(I have been of a bit of a Tajbluetaj: kick lately)

Peace,
Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Alisea
United States
Marquette Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
You may want to give Go a try. It meets pretty much all your requirements except for the time requirement (as it can take a long time to play). It's fun, depends solely on strategy, and is fairly easy to learn (though it takes a long time to master the game). Also, the only components are a game boards and a set of stones.

Edit: It may help for me to mention that Go doesn't always take a long time, and doesn't even usually take a long time, it just has the potential to take a long time depending on how serious the players are about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can only recommend the games that I've played, and of course I'm biased by the ones I enjoy the most. But for my two cents, I'd say:

Aladdin's Dragons
Niagara
Puerto Rico
Ra

Those seem to be my current favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine W
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
BaSL wrote:
Amun-Re
Taj Mahal
Puerto Rico
Euphrates & Tigris
Hermagor

Meh, If you have Amum-Re, there is no need for Hermagor. I thought Hermagor was a bit on the weak side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pompeii

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/13004

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kanalja
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for helping me!

It is quite obvious my brother is going to get Puerto Rico as a Christmas present from me.

I am glad I asked you to help me, as I had a wrong idea of Puerto Rico being too Caylus-like.

I will keep all the suggestions in mind for the future. Maybe I should get Amun-Re for myself…

All the best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you really don't like a game about Denmark I say go with:

Beowulf

Tons of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
How many people does he normally play with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kanalja
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tend to play 3-6 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.