Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie» Forums » General

Subject: Heroscape rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: heroscape [+] [View All]
Pierce Roberts
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
The boss of the house has finally given in! My 6 and 7 year old sons and I have been looking at Heroscape for a couple of years. My question is...In what order should I purchase the starter set and expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
The master set is the only MUST, and I'd get two to start with.

After that everyone has their opinions of what sets are good.

My suggestions are:

Road to Forgotten Forest - Trees and more terrain

Heros of Laur - More big guys
Rankar's Vision - Even more big guys

Then start picking up the smaller expansions. Lava is fun, but it can be annoying as well. Snow/Ice is "meh" to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I only bought 1 Master Set because I did want doubles of the original unique figures but I also bought additional terrain tiles on e-bay.

I also bought 3 Road to the Forgotten Forest sets. Road to the Forgotten Forest adds much more to the terrain and look of the game.

Lava? Ho hum...I bought some and swapped it off almost right away.

Never had the Ice/Tundra or the Castle Set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regai wrote:
The master set is the only MUST, and I'd get two to start with.

After that everyone has their opinions of what sets are good.

My suggestions are:

Road to Forgotten Forest - Trees and more terrain

Heros of Laur - More big guys
Rankar's Vision - Even more big guys

Then start picking up the smaller expansions. Lava is fun, but it can be annoying as well. Snow/Ice is "meh" to me.

I'd say James is right on. Try the base set just to get started, then the Road to Forgotten Forest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
agreed, although i would only start with ONE master set. Just to test the waters and see if you like it. It's not like they are rare or anything. You can always pick up as many as you want later one....

I am a HS fan and even I still only have 1 master set (and 1 of each expansion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the master set and let them have fun! There is so much you can do with one set! If need be (i.e. they both need a gift) get them each one and then they can combine their sets to make a much BIGGER battlefield. I know there are lot of opinions on what sets are best but I haven't been dissapointed by any of it. Being that they're young boys they will most likely be fascinated by ALL of Heroscape.

Good value to be had in the Forgotten Forest and Castle explansions!

Have fun!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend the following GeekList:

The Minimalist's Guide to Heroscape
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/15684

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy.com has a special right now that if you order $50 worth of stuff and pay via Google Pay, you get $20 off. They had Heroscape.

I'd get a Master Set and a Orm's Return. The trees really add some spice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a base set. Can you build some really cool terrain with more than one? Of course. Do you need more than one? No. If your kids really like it, then another won't hurt, though you can also just buy huge sets of terrain off ebay as well.

As for the expansions, well...
Road to the Forgotten Forest is cool for the trees and the bridge. The terrain looks better, and the trees add line of site issues to make things fun. As for the rest, its going to be hit or miss as to what you can find anywhere (including online). It also depends on what you and your kids end up liking in the various units. If certain heros are favored, you might want to try and get the units that will offer linking. If your kids just like some of the "cool looking guys", the new expansion with the dragons might be the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning: I've told this story before......

Pierce, I'm reminded of when I finally bought my son Heroscape. I gave it to him for his birthday. When he opened it, he yelled, "MOM! It's that game you've always wanted!!" He was really happy for me.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.