BattleLore» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combat rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Lago
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a wargamer by any stretch, but I am often tempted by Fantasy wargames due to the theme and cool bits that usually come with the game. I had looked at Battleground: Fantasy Warfare since the whole units on cards aspect was (I thought) genius...I can't build or paint figures worth spit and the much reduced price to field an army seemed great.

That being said, the rules for B:FW seemed quite elegant but also realistic and impressive...my question is: how do the BattleLore rules compare? What are the similarities and differences?

Thanks,

DuLac

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
In Battleground, command is taken into account by giving a limited set of orders to your troops, then they execute those orders following set rules for the orders. In Battlelore, you have command cards to choose from that give you a limited set of units to activate (e.g. move 4 guys on the left flank). In Battleground movement is done free-form using rulers. In Battlelore it is on hexes. So the movement is more limited in Battlelore, but at the same time MUCH simpler. In Battlelore units have no facing - they are considered supported (resitant to retreat) if they are adjacent to two other units.

On the whole, Battleground is probably more realistic/detailed, while Battlelore is simpler, and also quicker. It's also minis vs. cards. Battlelore also has the lore system to represents spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.