Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Introduction

It had started, of course, with the manuscript. It had told me of an incredible meeting of monks at a remote Italian monastery and the horrific events that led to their slaughter at the hands of the Inquisition and also the claws of a Beast of myth. The author himself claimed to be this Beast.

It was too far-fetched to be true. Surely.

So why was my house ransacked and my translation stolen?

I had looked for more signs that the story was true. I had something in an account of a strange ritual that was enacted by Pope Nicholas, the anti-pope put against the established pope, Pope John, by the Franciscan Order, supported by the secular authority, Emperor Louis. Most accounts give it only a passing mention, but one I found was a good bit more detailed, with the final scene showing a reconciliation of sorts between the Dominican-controlled Inquisition and the Franciscans as they joined forces against more of these Beasts of Satan. It may have had some bearing on anti-pope Nicholas stepping down from his position.

However, the reconciliation was temporary at best and throughout the papacy of John, he pushed for more influence in the secular world, which the spiritual orders resisted.

But I could find no further mention of supernatural forces. Nowhere I looked, though it had been a hobby, an obsession really, for several years.

It receded from my life. The past was too opaque.

But then, I was vacationing in Avignon in rance, the former seat of the popes of that era. I admired the Palace of the Popes there, I sampled the cuisine, I toured around the little shops. And somewhere in one of those little shops, I found an account of the final moments of Pope John XXII...and the conclave that followed it.

Welcome to Avignon for the Papal Conclave.

Rules: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1076920#1076920
Cassie page: http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1373...
Chat: http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1373...

Some notes:
As usual, flavor text is in blue and should not be read into as giving clues. Moderator text is in red.

1. First lynch is tomorrow (11/29/06) at 3pm BGG
2. Please vote and contribute. If a player does not post in the first 24 hours, they will be replaced. If they fail to vote, they will be warned and, if necessary, replaced. This does not include those who have cleared a short absence with me.
3. Note that if you are eliminated from the game, you still have an influence on the outcome. If you are unable to keep up with this, let me know.
3. Role-playing is encouraged but not essential. Speaking Latin is fine (don't worry, I won't be). However, in keeping with the theme, there will be no swearing. If you must express outrage, find another way to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: NotW3: The Papal Conclave - Game Thread
The Cassandra Automatic Vote Tally System

Your Moderator has enabled the Cassandra Automatic Vote Tally system
for this game. In order for it to function correctly, your votes will
need to be formatted correctly. The following rules will explain what
you will need to do:

Players
1. All votes must be bolded

2. The entire vote statement must be bolded and enclosed in bracekts: [vote jmilum]

3. Only one unvote and/or vote per post. You may have both an unvote
and a vote in the same post, but the unvote must come before the vote

4. You may [unvote all] instead of naming the current player
you are voting

5. If you [vote nightfall] your vote will be locked (voting
nightfall is allowed in the same post as a vote for a player, but it
must come after it, this does not violate Rule #3)

6. Vote tallies will be automatically posted to the game thread hourly
if the tally has changed. The Tally and Vote Logs (for each game day)
are also available on the Cassandra game page.

7. If your vote is not counted be sure to check the Vote Log page and
see if it was marked invalid and why.

8. Case does not matter and simple typos will not cause the vote to fail.

9. You may [vote no lynch] if your game allows it.

10. Quotes below the vote/unvote statement may cause the vote to be missed,
especially if they contain bolded sections.

11. Non voting players will be listed in the tallies. This will only be
correct if the Moderator notes which players have been killed (see below)

Moderators
1. The moderator will need to post [Dawn] when the day begins
(after the night results are posted) and [Dusk] when the lynch
deadline has passed and the day is over. Votes will not be counted
after [Dusk] has been posted. They will be registered again
after [Dawn] is next posted.

2. You may include a day number in the dawn and dusk post for
informational purposes, but it will not be used by the system.
Cassandra will increment an internal counter each time it sees
[Dawn] no matter what day is shown in a dawn post (i.e.
[Dawn 3] the three is allowed but ignored)

3. After dusk has been posted, the Moderator may go to the game page
on Cassandra to request a Final Tally to be posted before the normal
scan period has elapsed (i.e. Game Y gets scanned at 45 min. after the
hour, if it lynches at 7pm the moderator may request a tally to be
posted from the game page before 7:45pm. it will also be posted
regardless of whether or not it has been changed since the last
posting) - Do this by clicking on the 'Retrieve Final Lynch Time Vote' link.

4. You will need to note which players were killed via the lynch or at night by
either posting [killed jmilum] in the thread, or by going to the game
page and editing the player list. When posting in the thread, be sure to post
[dusk] before posting the lynch kill, and post [dawn] before
posting the night kill.
Example:
A. lynch time has passed so post [dusk]
B. goto the game page and select a final tally to be posted
C. check the final tally and post [killed melsana]
D. after the night deadline has passed post [dawn]
E. post the night kill with [killed kima]

Your Moderator has chosen to use the Longest Held Last Vote method for a tiebreaker - This is just for Cassandra system, and there may be a different tiebreaker specified by your Moderator in the ruleset.

Vote Log Page: http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1373...
Vote Tally Page: http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1373...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
Spread the conFUDsion wherever you can...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My brothers.
I wish it were not for so sad a reason that we should all meet together. That our holy father should have been received into the almighty's loving embrace is a source of joy, but we that are left on earth can only feel bereft at the loss of his wisdom and clarity.
I pray that among us we may find solace and guidance. Let us pray...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I had put all the Orders in the Comment field...but you can only read that after the game is done, so I have gone back and added it to your role name, if you missed it first time around.

And just to clarify: there will be an in-thread vote to eliminate one candidate per day (as per a standard Werewolf lynch) and a secret using of Influence by the eliminated members. Still active players are "voting for themselves" until they are out of the running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Payne
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
ninja So... Evil wins if they get a wolf elected? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said, Brother Javal.

In this dark moment, I am afraid that darker times are yet ahead. But with power and wisdom from him who banishes all darkness, let us rejoice in the light and push onwards toward our worthy goal. The church must have a leader who will walk the narrow path, and we must meditate and ask God to show us his will. Let us put aside our differences and petty squabbles, and together be unified in Christ as one body and mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardinalī, amicī meī, Popus Nicolas mortuus est. En caelum ascendit. Salve, Nicolas!

V. Oremus pro Pontifice nostro N.

R. Dominus conservet eum, et vivificet eum, et beatum faciat eum in terra, et non tradat eum in animam inimicorum eius.

Deus, omnium fidelium pastor et rector, famulum tuum N., quem pastorem Ecclesiae tuae praeesse voluisti, propitius respice: da ei, quaesumus, verbo et exemplo, quibus praeest, proficere: ut ad vitam, una cum grege sibi credito, perveniat sempiternam. Per Christum, Dominum nostrum. Amen.

PATER noster, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

*arkibet starts waving the incense in the Church, to prepare for the Messe.*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Lardarse wrote:
ninja So... Evil wins if they get a wolf elected? ninja

Evil wins if evil is elected, whatever face it wears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax et bonum, friends.

Brother Rukasu speaks truly; we must put our own petty squabbles aside, and open our hearts and minds to His will, that we might usher in a new dawn.

Would it be prudent to discuss our orders at this juncture, our would the ideological differences between the Dominicans and Fransiscans put our Inquisitor in too much danger if this were the case?

Have I correctly understood the rules that neither the cultists nor the wolves knows the other group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
He was dying, he knew it. So much left he wanted to achieve...

But had he not achieved much already? Yes, brought greater influence to the Church, where it can guide the masses to fruitful endeavors and not led astray by the corrupt. Not to mention the order he had brought to the Church.

But now, still so much to do and he was slipping away and he would need another to take up his reins.

He had wanted a little longer. Though they did not wield their influence agressively, those that did not share his vision for the Church still possessed it. A say in his successor. Even if he had blessed one cardinal over another, there was no guarantee that his wishes would be followed in the Conclave.

He thought back to his own ascension to the papacy. After the interregnum before Gregory XI, the Conclaves had been strictly ordered and the cardnals were pushed to make a quick decision. Forced seculsion, with their basic needs only met and their tithes and monies from their sees withheld until a new pope was elected. His own charisma and vision had swayed many quickly. Some had hesitated, true, but not enough to stop him. And with the pressure to elect a new pope intense, it was a relatively straightforward election.

This one would not be so straightforward, as the different factions within the church bickered.

He coughed, interrupting his reverie. He lack back on the bed, exhausted. The time would be soon, he knew.

Only too soon. He saw a light, blinding white. But he did not turn away, for it was warm and welcoming. His soul rejoiced.

Cardinal Shugyosha walked solemnly into the chamber and no one needed to ask the news. It was etched in his elderly features.

"Pope John is passed on to the Kingdom of our Lord." He turned and produced a large ornate key. He locked the double doors behind him.

"It is time, my brothers, to find his replacement. We shall remain here in seclusion cum clave until that is achieved."

He looked around the room at the 15 cardinals who held the most influence within the church. "As I am too elderly to be a candidate, I shall adjudicate. When a brother has achieved the necessary quorum of votes, our work here is complete."

[dawn]

First lynch is Wednsday at 3pm BGG. Good luck, my brothers and sisters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DISCLAIMER:

Firstly, we are living in an alternate universe here where men and women can become pope in the 14th century. Hey, if werewolves can exist, why not?

Secondly, since religion is sometimes a sensitive subject, I mean no disrespect to Christianity or any other religion for that matter in presenting an election in which Evil Men could win and become the next pope. This is purely a work of fiction. I hope no offence will be taken by anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
le_cygne wrote:
Have I correctly understood the rules that neither the cultists nor the wolves knows the other group?

You speak wisely brother, for while one group knows of each of its own members, they know not the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings Brothers and Sisters. It is with a heavy heart that I am here today, but a decision must be made. There are dark times ahead and we must shepherd our flocks to protect them from those who would turn their backs on the Light of the Lord.

I don't think discussion of our Orders at this time woudl benefit anyone. When we have more information, perhaps it will be for the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings brothers.

I am certain we will choose wisely in our elections. It has been ordained by the most Holy of Holies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes me sad that people are already discussing who the successor will be, when we haven't had proper time to grieve for the loss of someone most Holy.

Pope Nicolas, you have served the Church very well, and I am honored to have served underneath you. May you be seated at God's table and share in his Divinity. Glory to You, O Lord, and may You shine blessings upon our Most Loved Son of Man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings brothers and sister...

I wouldst that we not be here at all, but since every person must perish, we must follow the paths that our Lord guideth us in, though the path we follow is a sad one indeed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Greetings, brethren. And sistren as well, of course.
There is no way evil will win this, as The Lord would not allow it to be otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esuh wrote:
There is no way evil will win this, as The Lord would not allow it to be otherwise.

Agreed, Cardinal Esuh, but do remember the great Schism between 1378-1417 Anno Domine. We must take care to not let our petty squabbles divide us. We must work together for those that are best.

But still, Cardinal Esuh, show a bit of respect for Pope Nicholas and offer him a prayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
arkibet wrote:
Esuh wrote:

Agreed, Cardinal Esuh, but do remember the great Schism between 1378-1417 Anno Domine. We must take care to not let our petty squabbles divide us. We must work together for those that are best.

But still, Cardinal Esuh, show a bit of respect for Pope Nicholas and offer him a prayer.

I already have. Some of us prefer not to flaunt our faith like a Farisee, and instead have bid our farewell to Nicholas in private earlier, instead of giving him but a brief spoken prayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not flaunting my faith, I'm just concerned that people are not paying their proper respects. Yes, it is important to decide whom among us should lead the next generation. But I fear those that are too hasty to speed that process along.

[vote kimapesan]

for the time being, as he seems eager to elect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player - # - Voted by
kimapesan - 1 - arkibet(1)

Not Voting: Belash, CapAp, Esuh, greek2me, Janiera, Javal, kimapesan, le_cygne, Pharaz, RoyalFlush, Rukasu, Stuey, Vidarrr, Xandryyte

Nightfall votes are denoted by an '*' after the player's name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Likens
United States
Cornelius
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine Brothers and Sisters, I bid you a hearty welcome. I have complete faith that we will conclude our events here successfully. For why would God want it any other way?

arkibet wrote:
I'm not flaunting my faith, I'm just concerned that people are not paying their proper respects. Yes, it is important to decide whom among us should lead the next generation. But I fear those that are too hasty to speed that process along.

[vote kimapesan]

for the time being, as he seems eager to elect.

Brother Arkibet, I think thou doth protest too much. I think we should all be aware that one who works too hard to make others believe he is good is trying to compensate for something he is lacking.

[vote Arkibet]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player - # - Voted by
kimapesan - 1 - arkibet(1)
arkibet - 1 - RoyalFlush(2)

Not Voting: Belash, CapAp, Esuh, greek2me, Janiera, Javal, kimapesan, le_cygne, Pharaz, Rukasu, Stuey, Vidarrr, Xandryyte

Nightfall votes are denoted by an '*' after the player's name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings, brothers. It seems the good Lord has brought many of his trusted servants together again. A miracle indeed, for I could have sworn that many of us met the sharp end of a wolf's paw last time...

Anyways, that poor old pope had to go and croak. Who's a good replacement?

*acts pious*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Just a note - the current month and year in-game is December 1334.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.