Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Escape from Colditz and Fuga de Colditz: new spanish reprint of the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moloch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Traumfabrik – In Memoriam.
Wallenstein and Shogun? Same game, different theme.

Different pages?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
SatanicEssence wrote:
Wallenstein and Shogun? Same game, different theme.

Different pages?

At least those two have a different map, and a few different rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I was disappointed that "Relationship Tightrope" replaced "Drahtseilakt," and that "Geschenkt" was replaced with "No Thanks!" (if only because it screwed up my Gesundheit! geeklist).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is not renaming, which has been the usual practice after a German game is published in English. But when the editions are completely different, even if only visually, they should have separate entries. If for nothing else, at least for the sake of being able to track which version people own! "Traumfabrik" and "Hollywood Blockbuster" even have slightly different themes, as the latter is set in current times and is a parody. Unfortunately, it appears that the policy here is to have only one entry as long as there are no significant rule changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boo that the 6 Nimmt! entry got renamed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still waiting for Winner's Circle to replace Royal Turf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet the PitchCar extension, which is not the same thing as the Carabande Action Set, can not get its own listing (I know - I have asked a couple of times)...

I, for one, think that Traumfabrik should retain its own listing, using the China - Web of Power precedent (or the Wallenstein - Shogun one cited earlier in this thread). Hollywood Blockbuster is not the same game and does not have the appeal that Traumfabrik has - at least it does not in my game group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
TrimChris wrote:

Help me, my world is changing. angry

If only we could tag which name we want to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had made a suggestion previously over in the suggestion forum that folks can each choose their own prefered name, like you can do for representative image (to override the default one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrimChris wrote:

Actually, there are entries for both Winner's Circle and Royal Turf, but the listing for Winner's Circle refers to a different game, even though the photos are for the Face 2 Face edition of Winner's Circle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Oates
United Kingdom
Leeds, West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
[Old thread reference alert] Don’t mention cultural imperialism. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it [/Old thread reference alert]

Does anyone know the actual BGG policy for this. The ‘same game, new theme/name’ seems a bit sketchy if the examples of Busen Memo, Royal Turf, etc are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbabcock wrote:

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
GSReis wrote:
The problem is not renaming, which has been the usual practice after a German game is published in English. But when the editions are completely different, even if only visually, they should have separate entries. If for nothing else, at least for the sake of being able to track which version people own! "Traumfabrik" and "Hollywood Blockbuster" even have slightly different themes, as the latter is set in current times and is a parody. Unfortunately, it appears that the policy here is to have only one entry as long as there are no significant rule changes.

Yes, the theme is somewhat different. It's pretty comparable to Wallenstein vs. Shogun (different places and times). It's set in different a different time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The policy is obviously NOT "no separate listings if the rules are the same" otherwise there wouldn't be 5,000 versions of Monopoly listed. What is the policy??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
rootbeer wrote:
sbabcock wrote:

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

What he said....

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
starspangledgirl wrote:
The policy is obviously NOT "no separate listings if the rules are the same" otherwise there wouldn't be 5,000 versions of Monopoly listed. What is the policy??

Monopoly is kind of a special case (I think). I seem to remember an old GeekSpeak where Aldie said he kinda liked seeing a huge list of all the different Monopolies in the database. Hey, it's his site.

Other than Monopoly, "no separate listings if the rules are the same" seems to fit.

I do like Sterling's idea though. It'd be kinda like how we can choose our own representative image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
TrimChris wrote:

Actually, there are entries for both Winner's Circle and Royal Turf, but the listing for Winner's Circle refers to a different game, even though the photos are for the Face 2 Face edition of Winner's Circle.

Not to mention the reviews and most of the Wiki description (I recently added back the description to the 1984 Winner's Circle game along with a link to BoardGamesRUs.com, which has a copy for sale. I imagine that if I got permission to upload their picture, it would be rejected as the "wrong game".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jtakagi wrote:
TrimChris wrote:

That's due to an uploading error and I've yet to move the images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
IMHO....

If the packaging and art changes they should compile it into the same game (editions should all be one). If there is a significant rule change though they should separate them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
Boo that the 6 Nimmt! entry got renamed

And the funny thing is, it's official English name isn't even on the list!

The boxes from Amigo have four (?) different titles on them, and the English title is 6 Takes!, not Take 6 which is listed.

Don't think it's ever been called Take 6 ...

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Velusion wrote:
IMHO....

If the packaging and art changes they should compile it into the same game (editions should all be one). If there is a significant rule change though they should separate them out.

Exactly. The primary reason for this being the forums - rules questions, revies, sessions, etc would apply to both games if the rules are the same.

Having the most recent edition's name be the main entry makes it easier for people looking for the newly republished game to find it. It's easy enough for someone to specify what edition they have/are interested in by using the comment fields for trades in the collection module.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Good points all. But I'm still a bit confused. When this edition of the classic tanks, and hundreds of copies are thrown into the Tanga dumpster, will the entry go back to it's original name?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.