Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Immediately after our game of In Tuefels Kuche I asked the same group if they would like to play Hase und Igel. My opponents had not played before so they all agreed. I explained the rules as well as some basic strategies and we got started.

Hase und Igel was the first authentic German game I bought over 5 years ago. Yes, I already owned English versions of Settlers, Adel, and Modern Art, but this was the real deal. The cards and crib sheet were a language I could not speak, read or write. The game felt almost exotic. I think I might be extra fond of this game for that reason alone.

We determined a random start player and I managed to get lucky. I went straight for the first lettuce space. Joel jumped out to a quick lead spending quite a few carrots in the process. The beginning of this game always seems to be a bit slow. Once someone hits the top row the game seems to switch gears somewhat. I managed to eat all three lettuce heads before I hit the top row. I didn't receive a lot of extra energy for eating them, but at least they were out of my way. I spent the rest of the game slowly trudging along with my meagre reserves and began closing in on the finish. Then I noticed I was over by around 20+ carrots. I landed on the last carrot space and started discarding. Meanwhile Joel was lagging behind by quite a margin but then he made a massive jump move spending well over 150 carrots in the process. Two turns later I hopped over the finish line a few turns ahead of my opponents. James managed to finish second, followed by Joel and then Kent.

I think the group enjoyed their inaugural experience of this game. I think James really liked it because of the mathematical element. I am sure next game will be much different.

My usual strategy in Hase und Igel is to get rid of my lettuce cards as quickly as possible. This strategy has served me well as I have a very good win ratio in this game. I also like it when my right hand opponent eats a lettuce as I can enter the lettuce space the turn after he/she leaves. I also avoid the Hare cards as I prefer to avoid the "luck" aspect of the game. Missing a turn in this game is a bid deal. It can mean the difference between first and last place.

Side note: club attendance 12 people - how can you tell it is summertime??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.