Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some weeks ago I've received my first wargames which have countersheets: Paths of Glory and Target Arnhem. After pushing out all of the counters I had to conclude that unfortunately I haven't done that the right way: most counters have some pieces of paper sticking out and some are quite damaged because the front and/or back is a bit loose from the carton.

So, while I'm expecting more games coming in next weeks (EE/TS/RtL), what's the proper way to do it without damaging the counters? Knife? Scissors? Pulling softly in both directions until they fall off the sheet (tried that)?

Advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
X-Acto knife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anoni mouse
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Firestone IV wrote:
X-Acto knife.
agreed just watch the fingers and take your time no need to rush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Bee
United States
Marin County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Firestone IV wrote:
X-Acto knife.

Ditto that. That's the way to do it.

Hopefully, someday all game publishers will produce counter sheets like those found in Carcassonne and a few other games, where the counters effortlessly fall out of their frames, and there are no "nubs" or imperfections. Fantasy Flight is one company that actually improved their countersheets considerably over the last couple of years, but they're still not entirely up to Carcassonne standards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice!
Tomorrow I'm off to the shop and get one of those wargameknives

And about Carcassonne: I wish the counters fell out of the frames that easy. Good example for wargamecounters: anything Phalanx. well, didn't want to raise the umpteenth discussion about the quality of components by traditional wargamepublishers...

Happy to know what to do with the next countersheet!

Note to myself: don't forget to put something underneath the countersheet while cutting, to avoid serious damage to table...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I use a scaper tool, which I suppose is *also* used to scrape off paint, price tags or other sticky things. In the business end is a good old fashioned razor blade. I simply push hard in the gooves between the rows of counters and typically get nice clean & square counters. Some game companies' counters are harder to separate than others (Critical Hit's are very easy, Decision's are sometimes difficult) and may require some careful slicing or scoring to make the final cuts a bit easier.

Bought this tool at Wal-Mart for about $3. It feels safer than a hobby knife to me, but others may disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I soak my new counters in water. It lifts them clean off the cardboard and with little bit of glue can be made to stick almost anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
Personally, I soak my new counters in water. It lifts them clean off the cardboard and with little bit of glue can be made to stick almost anywhere.

I'll have to try that. It seems that battery acid damaged the artwork somwhat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Wilkinson

Colorado
msg tools
mb
Perhaps this is obvious, but be careful with razor blades and xacto knives--they're so sharp that it's easy to make little slices along the edges of counters.

Depending on the countersheet, sometimes I'll use a relatively dull penknife (dull relative to an xacto) to separate the counters, then I'll corner-clip em with a nail clipper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jiminy wrote:
Perhaps this is obvious, but be careful with razor blades and xacto knives--they're so sharp that it's easy to make little slices along the edges of counters.

Depending on the countersheet, sometimes I'll use a relatively dull penknife (dull relative to an xacto) to separate the counters, then I'll corner-clip em with a nail clipper.

What (s?)he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jiminy wrote:
then I'll corner-clip em with a nail clipper.

An art in itself.

You really want to make sure you preserve at least a vestige of the counter's original rectangularity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jiminy wrote:
(...) then I'll corner-clip em with a nail clipper.

Actually not a bad idea.
Thanks once again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the first time I tried to use a brand new super sharp exacto knife to cut out my Beyond Valor counters I sliced off a good part of two Russian 6-2-8s I quickly switched to a duller utility knife that had a razor that hadn't been changed in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thrasymachus wrote:
Yeah, the first time I tried to use a brand new super sharp exacto knife to cut out my Beyond Valor counters I sliced off a good part of two Russian 6-2-8s I quickly switched to a duller utility knife that had a razor that hadn't been changed in a while.

Ouch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently started using an exacto knife. I think that in most cases this actually eliminates the need for counter-clipping, which is great. Clipping counters takes forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and x-acto knife will cleanly separate your counters. But, as this blade is finer than the blades on the die initially used by the printer, you will find a little bit of extra cardboard at each corner.

Some people then go through a second round with a razor blade to square of the corners. I, of course, would NEVER do something as anal (ahem).

Or, some people use some device such as nail clippers to round off the corners. Very square counters tend to snag one another in counter-dense environments and mess up the map. This can be quite annoying. Rounding the corners solves this problem. Also, some, as do I, find rounded counters more attractive.

Note that unless you have some kind of jig it is hard to make each corner equally rounded by eyeballing. There is some guy who sells dice towers who also sells a counter jig, but it is very hard to get him to reply to email. I have tried repeatedly. Otherwise, devising a counter jig is an ongoing discussion on a couple of wargaming boards.

The absolute last thing you want to do is just pop them out as you have found out for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Dokter
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I bought my copy of WW2:Barbarossa to Berlin, I removed one counter with a little bit too much enthusiasm. I rip of a little piece of the counter :-(.

For me this works best: Push them gently out of the frame with your fingers, these are the best tools anyway and a lot of patience.

After removing the counters, I used a little knife to cut off the corners, so they really look nice.

Ron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Iverson
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

For continuous wargame counter sheets, an Olfa rotary cutter and board are fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have those little bits of paper sticking up from a counter where the picture has begun to seperate from the cardboard, I've found a glue stick is the best adhesive to reattach them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
I just push them through with my fingers then clip the corners with a nail clipper. A knife seems like overkill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads to Leningrad was delivered last week, and I have bought a X-Acto knife. I won't start cutting this year (off for holidays after this weekend) but I'll let you know about my experiences.

Once again thanks for all advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.