Gone Fishing
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I'd hate for this spicy meatball to be buried in the "hot deals" thread so I decided to give it a proper home.

Allow me to let you all in on the true secret behind what is happening at Tanga from my general sense of the gaming field and detective work.

Be careful to not blame publishers for the low pricepoints of some of these games. Whereas the makers of cluzzle were in on the tanga deal for their game, many publishers are not in on it.

Why you ask? Well the well kept secret can be found by looking at the origins of a generally dead online retailer site known as Gamefest.com

Keep in mind that this was a retailer which shared office space with Uberplay in Isaaquah Washington. Also keep in mind that Uberplay is the force behind Tanga.

Uberplay bankrolled gamefest, but gamefest generally died as an active site after Rick Thornquist took his gone cardboard game column from there to boardgamenews.

Whereas the gamefest site is still up, it is woefully outdated and hasn't had new game additions for some time.

My belief is that either Uberplay collected on gamefest and received its assets, being all the remaining unsold games, or they worked out some sort of deal to get rid of their stock of games.

Tanga obviously would be one of the best avenues to clear out those games, and this theory also explains why there are so few copies of each game offered.

Tanga is clearing out Gamefest's stock.

They have no care if it effects the values of games or gaming whatsoever, they are simply clearing out the remains of a once great internet retailer.

In fact DW, this plays more into that eventual collapse of internet retailing you had mentioned many times in the past.

And for those wanting a link on the Gamefest/Uberplay connection, check it out here in the Seattle Times:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/200...

P.S. Now looking at Gamefest's site, they are showing some signs of activity, so maybe not an internet retailer death after all. This is the message from their homepage which wasn't there a week ago:

"Important Notice

We are currently moving our website to another hosting company. During this time, you will not be able to place any orders. Please try again in a couple of days. Once we are back online, we will have over 1000 new products available and at LOWER prices! Thanks for your patience."

Looks like Tanga might be helping them make space for those new products.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't doubt that much of this is true. But Tanga has had a fair number of non-game items for sale too, so I don't think that Tanga was all some grand scheme to dump gamefest's old stuff.

My guess is that a conversation like this, maybe in somebody's head, maybe between two or more people, happened:

A: "Man, we got all these games collecting dust. Wouldn't it be great if we could dump it on woot and at least get a few dollars? But they don't want board games. Dangit!"
B: "Well gee, how hard could it be to run a site like woot? We could do our own, only we'll have lots of board games!"
A: "Yeah but it would run out too fast. We'll need other stuff too."
B: "How hard can it be? I'll call a bunch of wholesalers and retailers, take whatever cool stuff they can't sell otherwise (and their refurbs too while we're at it). Then we can get rid of our game stock, and make some money on the non-game stuff too!"
A: "Sounds great! I'll start working on the web site!"
C: "And maybe I can make some puzzles to put there too. I always wanted a place to put my puzzles."
A&B: "OK, fine, you can put up your puzzles. Can't hurt. Let's get to work."

There you go. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stockdale
United States
Auburn
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I was reading the last couple pages of a detective novel there for a bit. An interesting post. Could just be that the Tanga site was going to go up anyway and the Uberplay-Tanga connection helped them get a hold of a bunch of games and let them market their site here on BBG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Crunchy Goat wrote:
Uberplay bankrolled gamefest, but gamefest generally died as an active site after Rick Thornquist took his gone cardboard game column from there to boardgamenews.

Gamefest was pretty much dead before Rick moved to his own site. It also didn't help that I believe the owner and/or president Adam Hill had a health issue (from what I was told, possibly a heart attack?). Adam was pretty hands on, and those that took over for him were either unprepared, or didn't have the same drive.

I stopped buying from Gamefest when I found BoardGameGeek and pointers to better online retailers who were offering lower prices and free shipping.

On top of that, Adam Hill admitted to me that he was computing shipping based on having weighed each game on his bathroom scale... I found actual package weights were off by a lot compared to what I was charged for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gone Fishing
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Jeremy Young, owner of Uberplay and Tanga has posted this reply to me in another forum:

"Also, the detective in the group – I haven't spoken to Adam at Gamefest for almost 2 years, not because of a falling out as we are great friends, just because we live so far apart (I live in southern Utah by Vegas). I helped him get Gamefest going with some cash and he leased a duplex that I owned behind my office for a couple of years. Unfortunately, that investment hasn't paid off and never will ;-) And no, we don't have any games from Gamefest..."

The mystery deepens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I got involved in the discussion about the future of Eagle Games and regretted it. Not because I said anything bad, but because I commented without knowing my knee from my elbow about the situation

Conjecture about what is going on can affect people and businesses in ways that are not always anticipable. In addition, rumors can quickly be repeated as truths, leading to future ill will.

These are real people with personal lives and business relationships. What we each post should be responsible and based in fact/personal knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gone Fishing
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
grandslam wrote:
I got involved in the discussion about the future of Eagle Games and regretted it. Not because I said anything bad, but because I commented without knowing my knee from my elbow about the situation

Conjecture about what is going on can affect people and businesses in ways that are not always anticipable. In addition, rumors can quickly be repeated as truths, leading to future ill will.

These are real people with personal lives and business relationships. What we each post should be responsible and based in fact/personal knowledge.

I have absolutely no problem with what I wrote here, or in the Eagle thread. The original point of this post was for people to consider that it might not be publishers causing this practice that Tanga engages in, which some, myself included, consider detrimental to brick and mortar game stores.

Of course, there are so many connections in the Uberplay - Simplyfun - Tanga and Gamefest web to make that there is not anything destructive by attempting to guess what those connections might be and talk about them with gaming compatriots.

In this case, I knew a little more than "my knee from my elbow". I had a definitive source (a newspaper column) and an actual connection, which Jeremy himself confirmed.

Also, it was quite fun too see where this rumor would land. If you think that's irresponsible, that's your own business. Life is short, though, and rumors and gossip make it more enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I knew there was a connection...regardless, Uberplay/Gamefest/whoever has a toilet to flush away all of their crap. And snowglobes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crunchy Goat wrote:
P.S. Now looking at Gamefest's site, they are showing some signs of activity, so maybe not an internet retailer death after all. This is the message from their homepage which wasn't there a week ago:

"Important Notice

We are currently moving our website to another hosting company. During this time, you will not be able to place any orders. Please try again in a couple of days. Once we are back online, we will have over 1000 new products available and at LOWER prices! Thanks for your patience."

Looks like Tanga might be helping them make space for those new products.

More than a couple of days have passed...still says the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.