Michel Boucher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff and I played a game nearly to completion. We would have finished but for a small glitch which will be explained below.

After set-up, I as the caudillo, moved my Africanos to Andalucia and began the long task of giving los rojos a good thumping (to use current parlance). Throughout the game, the battles moved back and forth over the same areas, a few proddings in the east from both sides, a rather nasty set of exchanges in the northwest which was basically inconclusive. By the end, I was back at my starting point and Geoff was a few points ahead.

And so on the final turn, I moved forward to attack Madrid with a large force. Geoff countered by moving his troops in as reinforcements. By the time we were looking at the end of the battle, we realized that we had not applied the Madrid specific rule for defender +1 to die roll. We could not go back (too much had already passed), we estimated it would have been a very close call, and the time was just about right to quit.

Had I thought about it at the time, I would have pinned his forces outside Madrid, to prevent reinforcements from moving in. But then again, hindsight is 20-20 :-)

Evaluation: We both enjoyed the chit pull which we felt helped to balance the chances of weaker forces. The cards, although not numerous, were certainly appropriate for a game of this scope. The fact that the game went right to the end meant that it was well balanced.

We were somewhat uncertain as to the function of HQs. It appears they are used in exploitation and reinforcements but not otherwise. Also, there was some uncertainty as to where units from the pool should appear on the map, so we ended up placing them anywhere where we already had units.

All in all, a fun game. We're looking forward to hacking away at each other over the Iberian peninsula some time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
alsandor wrote:
We were somewhat uncertain as to the function of HQs. It appears they are used in exploitation and reinforcements but not otherwise.

They let you draw a combat chit (use the chit rules).

Exploitation is a big deal, anyhow.
alsandor wrote:
Also, there was some uncertainty as to were units from the pool should appear on the map, so we ended up placing them anywhere were we already had units.

In production cities that you control, IIRC. (Only if you control the complete area?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Boucher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
Exploitation is a big deal, anyhow.

Sorry, but this is a bit ambiguous. Do you mean "is a big deal" or "is not a big deal"?

We didn't find it all that useful if you require HQs to perform it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.