Popular Tags: [View All]
~Ryan McSwain
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this on the cheap (<$7) at Tuesday Morning on 11-24-07, and liking Gigamic I thought I'd give it a try.

Players: 2
Game length: Very quick (Less than 10 minutes)

Contents:
2 Red Cups
2 Red Saucers
2 Yellow Cups
2 Yellow Saucers
"Board" (Nine coasters strung together)

The game has one of those nice wooden boxes and is very outwardly attractive. It looks great if you have a bunch of those wooden-boxed games in your closet! The rules are found on the underside of the lid, and are pretty easy to explain (there was a problem or two, whitch I'll discuss later).

The pieces themselves are of very high quality--the four cups and four saucers are about the size from a kid's teaparty set, are made of metal and have a nice finish. The coasters say little coffee-shop type things around the edges like "mocha" and "latte."

I played this game with three "non-gamer" people--my wife, brother, and my brother's girlfriend. All three enjoyed playing the game.

I myself found it to be a fun distraction, although strategy seemed pretty simple. You're both trying to get your two cups and two saucers to the opposite side of the board. The mechanics are pretty simple--you slide or jump one of your cups or saucers to the next available space. Cups can be stacked on your own saucers. You can jump over other cups/saucers, but not empty spaces. You can't move backwards or pass if a move is possible.

Strategy seems to consist of holding back and taking advantage of jumping several pieces at once. My brother and I actually played so similarly that the first player seemed to have an advantage, and the second player could sometimes win with one more move. I would need some math to see if the first player has a real advantage.

*Major Rule Dilemma*
My brother's girlfriend moved her cup to the last winning space. Here's the problem: 1) Cups stack on saucers and presumably not the other way around, 2) you have to have both cups and both saucers on the two spaces to win and 3) you can't move backwards, it seemed to make the game unwinnable for her. The rules were no help, so we decided to just make that an illegal move.

She was very proud of herself for "breaking" the game.

All in all:
PROS: Attractive, great bits, simple to learn, plays quickly, can be found cheap.
CONS: Too short for real strategy, rule problem, too much advantage in going first.

*You might consider making your own set with cool coasters and garage-sale china.*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine today at Tuesday Morning for $6! I love abstract strategy games and I love coffee. That has to be worth $6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.