Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Christmas around the corner, I was wondering what any other gamers had tried making involving gaming other than games themselves. I know we have some amazing woodworkers on the cite like those in this geeklist: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/10893.

I like doing crafts and I'm looking for and curious about other ideas.

For example, last year Melissa made a meeple cookie cutter (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/734200#734200).

Another person made a meeple pillow

And we mustn't forget Cornjob's geeklist about his wife's game bags: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/13348

If anyone has done any craft items that don't necessarily have to be meeples please post them; I am really interested in all the different ideas.

Also, if anyone has a cross stitch pattern of a meeple, it would please me greatly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any pics, but my girlfriend has made me cloth game bags and painted wooden coins (for game with crappy ones). Also I have made new inserts for games. Of course, all of this work was to PLAY games and not so much for craft's sake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Killoran
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have an old wood burning kit, you can use the iron to burn gameboards or game related images onto leather. For example, burn a morris board onto coaster sized chunk of tanned hide...play a game on it, or put a beer on it. Larger sheets of leather are great for public domain classics, since you can roll them up Pente-style and store the pieces in a bag.

I am not very crafty and therefore limit myself to straight lines, but even so these crafty little leather games have been hit gifts among my friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife likes to make jewelry. She's always on the look out for interesting beads and such. She picked up some dice beads a while back and made a bunch of dice earrings.

We like to play Queen's Necklace and always commented on how the necklace doesn't look at all like the one on the card, so one day she made a replacement for it that does look more like the card. It's pretty cool. We use it when playing now. It looks small in the photo, but it's actually bigger than the one with the game (the cards are big).

Shameless spouse-promotion: I'm sure she would be happy to make more for anyone interested for pretty cheap; just drop me a Geekmail and I'll let her know. If there was enough interest, I'd be tempted to just list them in the Marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike,

I love the earrings and necklace. I've been trying to get my husband to figure out a way to drill a hole into my yellow sparkly D20 so I can make a necklace. I may borrow some of your girlfriends ideas. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Oh golly, looking over this and all the links has inspired me. Well, no no, I've got no talents, so instead it wells up a seathing hatred and jealousy from deep in the bowels of my soul. (Wrath isn't a a sin is it?)

But seriously, all of this stuff is sounding really cool. Do ya think that 26 is too old to learn a new talent/craft/skill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:

But seriously, all of this stuff is sounding really cool. Do ya think that 26 is too old to learn a new talent/craft/skill?

It is never too late to learn something new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dipdragon wrote:
You can get software - I have a copy myself - that will turn any image into a cross-stitch pattern with matches to the threads you're going to use - DMC etc.

Sad, but true. I used it to create a tapestry pattern for a wall hanging - not gaming related. But you could use any image - so a wall-hung map/board is easily done, and more durable.

I've looked at those a few times but I worried whether they were all that good or if they just put pictures on grids. Good to know they have some quality. I'll may have to get that. I keep saying to myself, if I do get a the program, I shouldn't buy any more patterns other than the ones I make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:

26 is old? I know ancient people then. LOTS of them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.