Popular Tags: [View All]
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased a German version of SoC because I liked the artwork better. It looks something like this:

Notice that it has 'solid' water pieces. They form a frame around the hexes, and lock like puzzle pieces.

A friend is putting together a game order from a German company, and I want to get some expansions. I'd like to get the 5 & 6 player expansion, Seafarers, and Knights.

Here's the thing, I use the American development cards and wooden pieces, everything else I use the German version. The wooden pieces won't effect which expansion I get, but I wouldn't want to buy a German expansion that included cards that were heavy in German text. I use the German version resource cards.

If someone could tell me what German versions to buy I'd really appreciate it. My friend is ordering off of Playme. http://www.playme.de/ If you could give me links right to PlayMe, wow, that'd be fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I'm not the No. 1 Settlers expert around here, but since no-one replied, I'll attempt an answer.

I didn't quite understand how you are using the American development cards, does that mean you own both an American and a German version?

In general, I would go for the editions of the same publisher, so there won't be much choice. I don't believe that the Seafarers has too many cards, but the Knights expansion replaces all the developments with new cards, some with quite a long text.
The resource cards should not be a problem (no text) - Knights adds three kinds of resources to the game. I assume that the 5 & 6 player expansion adds some development cards as well, same probably goes for the 5 & 6 player Knights expansion.

BTW, you are aware that, for the complete set of Settlers+Seafarers+Knights for 5-6 players you need:
Base game
5+6 player expansion
Seafarers
Seafarers 5+6 player expansion
Knights
Knights 5+6 player expansion

A cash cow if I ever saw one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 9 additional Development cards in the 5-6 Player expansion.

There are no cards in the Seafahrer expansions (3-4 or 5-6 players) except for the player aids. But the shipsa will of course be made of plastic instead of wood.

There are 3 new sets of Development cards in City & Knights plus a personal Building Almanach for each player. Not much text, but a lot of building names in German. And you will get new game material in plastic: knights, city walls, Metropoles plus a trader and a Barbarian ship.

- and I don't agree with Robert that it is a cash cow.
It would have been far worse if the original plan of selling everything in one package had gone through. That would have made a lot of people buying pieces for a 5th or 6th player that they would have never use. And additonal material for scenarios they wouldn't be interested in. Now everybody can buy exactly the amount of stuff they are interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.