Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard of people playing Descent with negative conquest tokens; that is, the game isn't instantly over when the heroes run out of conquest.

One way is to allow them to go into conquest 'debt' and let them recover it along the way, winning if they finish at a positive score.

Another I heard of is that when the heroes lose conquest, the overlord actually takes the tokens from them and keeps them for himself; in this way they represent a 'teeter-totter' or balancing scale. The scale starts on the heroes side, and they try to keep it there. Maybe the overlord wins if they finish in the negatives OR if he reaches say, their starting conquest value from the begginning of the quest?

This might also explain why the heroes gain conquest after a quest is completed. Why else would they write that in the scenario book, if it has no bearing on any other rules? I know there's the 'competitive' thing, but it doesn't specifically say that the hero who deals the killing blow gets the conquest.

I'm just wondering if anyone uses these variants reguarly, and any pros/cons. We're looking to make it harder on our regular overlord (me)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like a very interesting idea to try. although, our group usually plays with 5, so with 4 heroes the OL is already at a bit of a disadvantage. therefore, giving the heroes more of a chance is not a good idea right now for us. [caveat] we are currently playing w/o expansions. [/caveat]

once I get the expansions and see how play balance works out, this may change my view. again, great idea so the heroes have a chance to "dig themselves out of the hole"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We typically play with the negative conquest variant. I know it is a competitive game but at the same time many of my hero players don't find it all that much fun to be 3 hours at 90% of the way done only to get killed off. Letting the heroes go negative gives them that last chance to try and pull off a victory. I think it really works well; it lets the heroes finish off the quest but success is ultimately decided by how well they performed throughout. It's also a great rule when you have new people playing at it is much more forgiving and playing through an entire scenario will help them learn and become better players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play slightly different. We don't allow negative conquest, we just don't let a hero revive unless they can "pay" that hero's Conquest Value. When the heroes get more tokens, they can revive any heroes waiting to be revived.

But then, I only play this way with my wife, when she controls all 4 heroes. If I were to use this variant witha group where each player controls only one hero, I'd not want to have a player sit out for a time waiting for more Conquest to be found. Negative tokens would be used, whether just kept track of, or actually given to the OL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.