BattleLore» Forums » General

Subject: Battle Lore Quality Issue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: battleLoreQualityIssue [+] [View All]
Richard Rutten
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
the spunk plus the bomb plus the pump plus the torture instrument times frankie equalling the bang is an exclusive piece of ZTT exploitation
badge
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. (mj)
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my copy of BattleLore yesterday and when opening it was a bit dissapointed with the contents.

The problem is, however unlikely it seems, that there is just too much in the box. The miniatures are cramped into a tray in such a way that a lot of them (25%) are warped and bend. A smaller percentage, I would say 10 to 15% are so bad that I wouldn't even want to play with them! Esspecially the human cavalry and regular infantry seem to be damaged.

Has anybody else received their miniatures in a similar state or is this just bad luck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the plastic soft enough to bend them back to shape or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rutten
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
the spunk plus the bomb plus the pump plus the torture instrument times frankie equalling the bang is an exclusive piece of ZTT exploitation
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this but they just spring right back into their warped state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Häggkvist
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
badge
Had to do SOMETHING with all that GeekGold...
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to heat the figures with hot water before you reshape them, this will stop them from bending back. I did this successfully with a number of War of the Ring pieces. sauron

Can't remember how hot the water should be though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rutten
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steuz5050 wrote:
You have to heat the figures with hot water before you reshape them, this will stop them from bending back. I did this successfully with a number of War of the Ring pieces. sauron

Can't remember how hot the water should be though...

Sounds like something worth trying. Anybody can tell me how to exactly go about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aljoscha S. Nett
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairly hot, and it works best if you dip the Minis in Ice-Cold-Water after you heat them, so they will stay the way you want them.

I was also very disapointed, because it will take me several hours to bend all the minis in the right shape.

Cheers,
Aljoscha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini c/o SELED
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I didnt have time to make it to my cavalry mini yet, but you can try with the hairdryer trick:

1) warm them with a hairdryer
2) bend to the right position
3) immediately cool them with cold water

It worked with Doom warped miniatures, maybe can work also for BL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard Boom
Netherlands
Waardenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also received my game yesterday and have the same problems with the miniatures.
As an experienced scenery maker that works with resin, I agree on the heating up issue.
Use a water boiler or cook water on the furnace and throw the minis in the pan with hot water and get them out one by one and frighten them in the desired position in cold water.

I now have to work wit an additional box where I can store my minis in.

Looking forward playing the game.

Gerard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Price
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Glos
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mine too were bent. It seems odd that they'd go to so much effort to carefully layout some of the figure with flags and then just throw the rest in a tray. They did bend back to a degree but I might just try the water trick.

First thing I did (ok, second after playing) was to dispose of the trays and sort the figures into clear re-sealable bags.

Steve P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Domick
Germany
Duesseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´ve also read about bend figures in this (german) review:

http://www.fantasyguide.de/3075.0.html

Quote:
Allerdings hatte das beim Testexemplar den Nachteil, dass einige Figuren, insbesondere die Reitereinheiten, deutlich verbogen waren. Man muss jedoch dazu sagen, dass unser Testexemplar aus der extra für die Messe in Essen produzierten Vorserie stammte. Nach Aussage von Days of Wonder soll dies bei den an die Spieler auszuliefernden Exemplaren nicht mehr vorkommen. Ansonsten hilft hier etwas heißes Wasser.

Roughly translated they are saying, that they had a pre-production copy of BattleLore in which some of the cavalry-units were warped and bend. Days of Wonder (DOW) told them that this issue would be fixed in the production-run.

The reviewing guy had a quality-issue with the dices too. The problem was that the color of some of them wore out quickly. Maybe you should check the dices in your copy. Here is the correspndong quote from the review:

Quote:
Ein weiteres Manko unseres Vorserienspiels sind allerdings die Würfel. Hier handelt es sich um spezielle 6-seitige Holzwürfel mit farblichem Aufdruck. Leider ist die Farbe nicht besonders abriebfest, so dass insbesondere die glänzenden Magiesymbole schon nach kurzem Einsatz verblassten. Auch der Rest war nicht wasserfest und so hatte manch ein Testspieler bunte Finger nach dem Würfeln. Auch hierzu hat Days of Wonder bereits Stellung bezogen und verspricht sofortigen Austausch, wenn dies auch bei den Serienspielen der Fall sein sollte.

Maybe you should contact DOW and ask them if they can send you some new miniatures to replace the bend ones.

Since I ordered a copy of BattleLore, I'm interested in how you and DOW dealt with this problem. Just in case there`s something wrong with my copy too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the comments on the Spielbox forum, the german edition has the miniatures issue, too. Plus there seem to be two cards with a wrong body text (referring to forest instead of hills/river).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not recieved my copy of Battlelore yet but looking at the game box and all that's in it and thinking about what is to come in terms of more armies and creatures (Where is the Hill Giant and all the other future expansion creatures like him suppose to go?) , I decided a while back I was going to have to think long term about storage for the game.

What I have decided to do is what I've already done with Memoir '44. The problem with Memoir '44 is their expansions come in pretty poor containers for long term storage practicality. Especially as I have 3 full sets of German and American units. So what I did was I used the Memoir '44 box for storage of the mapboards, rules, cards, small counters and alike. Then all terrain tiles and armies are stored in heavy ziplock bags in a small Rubbermaid storage tub. You can find a large variety of different sizes in these tubs at places like Wal-Mart or Target so you don't have to get the big huge ones. They make storing and hauling around your Memoir '44 game much easier.

I expect I will do something similar with Battlelore rather than try and cram everything back into the Battlelore box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geboom wrote:
Use a water boiler or cook water on the furnace and throw the minis in the pan with hot water and get them out one by one and frighten them in the desired position in cold water.

I snuck up on them and yelled "Boo!" and that seemed to work!!laugh

I am not sure what if that is the right English term (temper?) but whatever the proper term is, I am going to start using 'frighten' because I just like the way it sounds!

Just like when I heard someone Swedish say, "When the cats away, the mice will dance on the table" I have used that ever since instead of 'the mice will play'. Sure, you lose the rhyme but the visual image of mice dancing is so much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone here get their copy yet that ordered from Thoughthammer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Dasler
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
geboom wrote:

I snuck up on them and yelled "Boo!" and that seemed to work!!laugh

I am not sure what if that is the right English term (temper?) but whatever the proper term is, I am going to start using 'frighten' because I just like the way it sounds!

Just like when I heard someone Swedish say, "When the cats away, the mice will dance on the table" I have used that ever since instead of 'the mice will play'. Sure, you lose the rhyme but the visual image of mice dancing is so much better.

I believe the english term is "shocking" them. At least that's the cooking term for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jetzm wrote:

I believe the english term is "shocking" them. At least that's the cooking term for it.

That makes sense but I still like 'frighten'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini c/o SELED
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:

1) warm them with a hairdryer -added: about 5 seconds each miniature-
2) bend to the right position
3) immediately cool them with cold water

Just tried the hairdryer trick, it worked well and now cavalry miniatures are no longer warped. I had to do the job for 9 miniatures and it took more or less 5 minutes, not really a big issue in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's wait and see if the second print run will be any better (as was the case with the Memoire artillery).

No way i am spending 70 euros and then spend a day to fix the miniatures... zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Didn't Rollo just say it tok him only 5 minutes to fix all 9 of his deformed minis?

Suddenly that's "a day"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blind Reality wrote:
The miniatures are cramped into a tray in such a way that a lot of them (25%) are warped and bend. A smaller percentage, I would say 10 to 15% are so bad that I wouldn't even want to play with them!

25% warped will not take 5 minutes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rutten
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
Blind Reality wrote:
The miniatures are cramped into a tray in such a way that a lot of them (25%) are warped and bend. A smaller percentage, I would say 10 to 15% are so bad that I wouldn't even want to play with them!

25% warped will not take 5 minutes...

Geo it's not too bad. I fixed about 35 of them in half an hour. The hot/cold water treatment works very well. Thanks to all who suggested it.

I also contacted DOW about the warped miniatures and got a very prompt reply in which they apologize for the less than optimal tray. They would look into how to improve the packaging in the future. They also suggested the water treatment.

So in the end it's not such a big problem as it seemed at first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blind Reality wrote:
They would look into how to improve the packaging in the future.

That's what i am saying: i'll wait for the second edition (which i am sure will be out very soon) to get any improvements they make!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Talbert
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't get it now you won't get your bent Hill giant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
inttruder wrote:
If you don't get it now you won't get your bent Hill giant.

laugh That is the funniest thing I've read all day. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
and of course you will miss all the fun of the numerous pages written about the Hill giant!

And you cannot reply to the next 20+ pages about the packaging........

You miss half the fun of the game actually

(BTW still no Battlelore in Greece...... shake)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.