Subject: Game for up to 8-9 Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Pieter-Jan Delaruelle
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're going to rent a mansion in the Ardennes in Belgium with a group of friends for a weekend of gaming. Unfortunately I don't own games for up to 8-9 players. I don't suspect we'll be playing as one big group all the time, but I'd like to bring one game we could all play together that takes
between 90-360 min to play. If possible, a game like aGoT, SoE, Caylus or
Railroad Tycoon. If possible, I'd also like recommendations for shorter, lighter games for this group, provided the don't cost too much as we will seldom be that big of a group for our regular game gatherings.

Thanks in advance,

Pieter-Jan Delaruelle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't know about a large game for such a large number of people. I would guess that the downtime on such a thing would kill all the fun. I recommend lighter stuff, and then if you want to play heavier stuff, break into two groups.

For light stuff that can accomodate 8 or 9 players, my first recommendation is 6 Nimmt! which is a great game, but when you get up to 8 or 9 players, it will be quite chaotic and become more a game of luck than strategy. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it. If you want a game that gets better with the more people that play, I recommend Diamant. The only downside is I believe the maximum number of players is 8. A good cheap classic party game that I would recommend is Spoons. All you need is a deck of standard cards and some spoons. It's easy, fast, cheap, and people will be on the edge of their seats the whole time. I hope this helped out a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Fall
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great weekend! We enjoy Saboteur (up to 10 players) and Great Dalmuti (up to 8). I´m also considering Terra, which seems to be different and interesting if not a perfect game, and it accomodates 10 players I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Corthout
Belgium
Lille
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur plays pretty good for 6-10 people, ok, one game will only last 15 minutes and it's a very light game but my non-gamer friends can play it for a ehole evening without getting sick of it.
Citadels/Machiavelli + dark lands expension also plays up till 8.
Can't think of anything else...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fazekas Tibor
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a shorter one I would suggest 6 nimmt!. Our group also likes heavier games, but if we play it, it's a blast. It's playable with up to 10 people.
In the same category I would also suggest Bang!. It's also a cardgame, and with it's expansion it's playable with up to 8 people, too.

For meatier games, sadly I have no recommendation for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mitchell
United States
Elk Grove
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have two sets of Fische Fluppen Frikadellen you can play a meaty game with up to 10 (or 15 with 3 sets). Of course with 8 you finally have enough people to play Campaign for North Africa.

David
"Spooooon"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
"The World Cup" game is good for up to 16. For quicker game, use the 1930 board. For a battle royale use the 2002 board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter-Jan Delaruelle
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input so far! I think I'll definately get Saboteur, Great Dalmuti, 6 Nimmt and Bang. Too bad nobody knows of a meatier diplomacy-like game or empire building game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werewolf
Die Kutschfahrt zur Teufelsburg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I spent a weekend with a group of friends in a rented cottage recently (some of them with very little gaming experience). Because I had the same problem, I designed a Civ game for large groups (I knew half a year in advance, so had the time). We played it with 9 players and everyone liked it a lot. It took us close to 7 hours to play, so it might be a little bit too long.

The obnoxious guy pointing at something while no-one pays any attention is me.

I you're interested, I could send you the files. Making all the components will cost approx 20 euros and 3 or 4 hours of work.

-edit-

Quote:
Thanks for the input so far! I think I'll definately get Saboteur, Great Dalmuti, 6 Nimmt and Bang. Too bad nobody knows of a meatier diplomacy-like game or empire building game.

This would qualify. It was designed to be a empire building game with lots of diplomacy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Singleton
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help you with a "meatier" game suggestion, but Pit can play up to 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Pieter,
If you like AGOT, you could download our 9-player expansion here: http://www.west2productions.com/Gamers/AGOT9/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the recommendation for Werewolf (it's also very cheap)

I you like something meatier, think the theme might be right, and can find it (no idea whether it's in print) you might look for Junta. Note that the base game only supports 7 players, but there's a free expansion explained online (see links section), though you need to make a few cards and chits. It supports up to 10 players then, and, with the right group, is great fun.

It also matches your request for something diplomacy-like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, and good ole' Civilization + Western Expansion map supports 8. Takes ages, though (just like civilization, in fact)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are frequently 8 people during "family game night" and two lighter games (both play up to 8) that everyone has enjoyed are Smarty Party and Imaginiff. You could easily modify the games to play 9 if you wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Oriente

It's for up to 12 people. The rules can seem a bit confusing on the first read through, but really the overall idea and flow of gameplay is simple. It's a negotiation game with variable player powers that change throughout the game. It's not a civ-building game, but it's definitely different from anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not so meaty, but RoboRally is always good for some large group (up to 8 players) fun and chaos. Hope you enjoy your weekend away, sounds like great fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I second Werewolf/Mafia. Not exactly heavy but works well for large groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
RoboRally is indeed a fantastic game! (I much prefer the original version to the new plastic one, though.)
It's better if everyone has played it before, as it can be lengthy. Use an egg timer if some players take forever.

Carabandeis also great, as you can play in teams or individually.

Give Me The Brain is one of my favourites, though it's a bit random, but that's because the pictures on the cards make me laugh... ("I can hear the sea"...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.