james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the commonly discussed topics is the optimum # of players for a game. It's a feature i would really like to see, as my group is almost always 5 players and that's pretty much all i know.

I think it would be ideal to let users be able to assign an optimum # of players on the game screen. This would help people decide on buying games as well as when it's best to break them out. I'm in a situation now where i want to introduce some games to new players and we're likely going to be three people...so i dont really know what games i own will play best to use an introduction(especially since i'm hoping it goes over well).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hear, hear!

I would like to see similar functionality as the game weight attribute for optimum number of players. If each user could pick from a list of values to state what they think the best number of players is - that would be cool. The drop-down list could contain the following values: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7+, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6.

Now the average may not be as meaningful as the game weight average, but it would still be handy to see a graph of how many people voted for each of the values.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Warpozio
Belgium
gent
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Please add a recommend # of players field to the games t
two numbers, the official number and one which can be voted in the "My Collection" part. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7+). Only the one with most votes is shown.
So we would have a Blue Moon City (example)
# of Players: 2-4 (4 80%)
The game is playable with 2, 3 or 4 players, but 80% thinks it is ideal to play it with 4.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Please add a recommend # of players field to the games t
I´d rather see a histogram of plays with a given number of players, from the games-played data...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Please add a recommend # of players field to the games t
I'd love to see this -- great suggestion.

I'd also love to get a recommended age range (min / max) to be able to search for age-suitable games. Currently, I need to go to FunAgain for that type of information. Not a big deal, but it'd be nice if it were here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Please add a recommend # of players field to the games t
If anyone cares, I have been collecting the Best # of players in my game comments for several years, including opinions from the current geeklists.

Yes, I would like to see a field we could place this, but it might need to be text, as mine are a range. i.e.: "Best with 4,6 > 5 > 2, not 1", means best with 4 or 6 about equivalent, but better than 5, which is better than 2, but do not play it with 1.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
warpozio wrote:

The game is playable with 2, 3 or 4 players, but 80% thinks it is ideal to play it with 4.


i was thinking something along these lines as well, maybe even simpler with
2-4 players (recommended 4)



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilder
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sbabcock wrote:
I would like to see a field we could place this, but it might need to be text, (snip)


ANY way that gets the data across would be a good way. The simpler it is to understand, the better. It would be VERY useful to have in the database.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Re: Please add a recommend # of players field to the games t
dipdragon wrote:
MontyCircus has been trying to pull this information together in the hopes that the Admins will add it as an option. See the following GeekList: www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17016

MontyCircus's survey isn't useful in my opinion. The report Darlok (and many of us) really want is:

Show me a list of the best games for n players.

What MontyCirus's survey reports is:

Show me how many friends I should invite to play GAME-X

MonyCirus's list doesn't take into account the relative fun-factor of each game for each number-of-players value. For example, if you are visiting your brother this X-Mas, and you find Puerto Rico and Chutes and Ladders in his closet, MontyCircus's research might easily suggest you crack open Chutes and Ladders because Chutes and Ladders is best with 2 players and Puerto Rico is best with 4.
HOT DAMN! SLIDE ON DOWN THAT LADDER, BEEOCH!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Re: Please add a recommend # of players field to the games t
GoPanthers wrote:
I disagree. MonyCirus's list is predicated on the idea that we know the games listed. And most of us do.

My argument still stands. Suppose my brother and I are going to play a 2 player game of either Puerto Rico or Risk. I know Risk inside and out and have played Puerto Rico with 4 players. I am of the opinion that 4-player Puerto Rico is better than 4-player Risk. MC's list still doesn't help us decided what to play. It says thumbsup for 4-players and thumbsdown for 2-player Puerto Rico. It doesn't tell us if 2-player Puerto Rico sucks or is simply compares unfavorably to 4-player. It certainly doesn't give us a clue how 2-player Puerto Rico compares to 2-player Risk. Every game in his list is relative only to itself, and the data is of little use outside of the game, and limited use even within the context of the game (it tells us 4-player PR is better than 2-player, but not how much).

I am of the opinion that the massive effort put into his list could be a lot more useful if he had changed his data collection methodology. It would have been no more work to ask people, "On the scale of 1-10, rate each game for player-counts for which you have experience". In fact, I think his list would have been less work, more understandable, less ambiguous, and far more useful.

GoPanthers wrote:
I'm really reticent to knock MonyCirus's list. It's the best way of gauging number-of-players value we have right now. A lot of work went into it, by a good number of people ...

I applaud all the effort everybody, especially MontyCirus, put into the list. I don't mean to be unappreciative. I just think all of that effort could have been leveraged better.

GoPanthers wrote:
and it serves the right purpose: to demonstrate to admin the usefulness of such a category.

Works for me. I'd like to see number-of-player ratings in the BGG database too. You and I just disagree on how useful MC's list is.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jimu wrote:
MC's list still doesn't help us decided what to play. It says thumbsup for 4-players and thumbsdown for 2-player Puerto Rico. It doesn't tell us if 2-player Puerto Rico sucks or is simply compares unfavorably to 4-player.

It does, at least kind of.
2 player Puerto Rico is rated 48% thumbsdown
2 player Power Grid (as a contrary example) is rated 17% thumbsdown.

So, you can assume that Puerto Rico is ok, but not great, with 2 players, while Power Grid probably sucks with 2 players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Re: Please add a recommend # of players field to the games t
Werbaer wrote:
jimu wrote:
MC's list still doesn't help us decided what to play. It says thumbsup for 4-players and thumbsdown for 2-player Puerto Rico. It doesn't tell us if 2-player Puerto Rico sucks or is simply compares unfavorably to 4-player.

It does, at least kind of.
2 player Puerto Rico is rated 48% thumbsdown
2 player Power Grid (as a contrary example) is rated 17% thumbsdown.

So, you can assume that Puerto Rico is ok, but not great, with 2 players, while Power Grid probably sucks with 2 players.

I can assume no such thing.

The statistics you've cited tells me there is a high degree of consistency among the voters that PG is "less suitable" for 2-player. It doesn't tell me how less suitable it is. Nor does it tell me which 2-player game will is more fun.

When people love or hate a polar issue, they will rate it either 1 or 10, but the average can be middle of the road. I've thought up a stupid example to illustrate my point.

Most everybody agrees that Cold Toilet Seats are bad. thumbsdown 99%

A lot of people are both for and against Capital Punishment. thumbsdown 49%

Your logic says we can assume any given person believes Capital Punishment to be "okay, but not great" while Cold Toilet Seats totally "suck"!

We seriously need to throw more resources into solving this Cold Toilet Seat problem!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jimu wrote:
...

Most everybody agrees that Cold Toilet Seats are bad. thumbsdown 99%

A lot of people are both for and against Capital Punishment. thumbsdown 49%

Your logic says we can assume any given person believes Capital Punishment to be "okay, but not great" while Cold Toilet Seats totally "suck"!

We seriously need to throw more resources into solving this Cold Toilet Seat problem!!!

But doesn't the 49% mean that 51% give Captial Punishment thumbs up?

If so, it tells me that Cold Toilet Seats is universally regarded as bad but whether Capital Punishment is bad is a matter of some controversy and I will have to look into it to decide for myself.

Back to game terms, if those were the percentages for games of with those names for two players, I wouldn't even bother trying 2 player Cold Toilet Seats since it is so overwhelmingly give a thumbs down.

However, because its pretty evenly split on whether people like Capital Punishment with 2 players, I might try it to decide for myself.

But if the 49% thumbs down does NOT mean that 51% gave it thumbs up, then yeah, the information is not very useful.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Re: Please add a recommend # of players field to the games t
EvanMinn wrote:
But doesn't the 49% mean that 51% give Captial Punishment thumbs up?


Ack. I used a stupid example. Here's another stupid example that might be clearer:

A hundred random people off the street are surveyed two questions:
Is finding a nickel on the ground a good thing? thumbsup 99%
Is spending an hour playing Puerto Rico a good thing? thumbsup 51%

Note: People surveyed either love or hate playing Puerto Rico.

1 person out of a hundred is unhappy with the free nickel for some reason. 49 people out of a hundred are unhappy (bored) playing Puerto Rico.

Illogical conclusion: Given the choice between the nickel and playing Puerto Rico, without a doubt, you should go for the nickel.

My point is that a high degree of consistency does not imply something is much, much better. Just because you are 49 times more likely to be happy with the nickel doesn't mean you will probably be 49 times more happy with the nickel. MC's percentages reflect consistency, not relative enjoyment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
:bump:


just to give my 2cents regarding some of the later threads, i do agree with Jim that the weigh system would be imperfect, but i still think it would help the user.

i think if we can agree that the issue is we have a lot of users on the site, coming to the site that would like to know how a x game plays with y # of players. i would think that no matter who 'decides' that it, it's going 2 be an opinion. personally i would rather take the advice of many people who have potentially experienced the game with y # of people than to make an assumption or post in the forum and wait of the response of 3 or 4 users who may have had an extreme scenario. i think that letting users cast a vote would be a good start.

i think u can look at the bgg rating system as being very flawed in that many people visit the site, vote once on a game and never return, or never update their ranking. YET, i've had a lot of good experience by following the ranking system, in both avoiding some stinkers and acquiring a solid library.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bass
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at the geek lists about this, and wished that information was attached to the game entries somehow... Then I found this thread. Just wanted to say this would be a really nice feature to see.

There is most likely many different ways to structure it in the system, but the information in the geeklist was very useful the way it was laid out. (Thumbs up or down for number of player) But anything along these lines would be good.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.