Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by the "Things Old School Gamers often did that Nu Skool Gamerz never have" geeklist (http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17869), here's a question that ought to get people reminiscing:

What was the first really long (aka monster) gaming session you had, and how did it turn out?

By "monster", I'm thinking some time over 6-8 hours for a single gaming session; it doesn't have to be for one game (but it can, especially if you played a wargame or Civ), and it doesn't have to involve monsters.

For example, I'll start.

My first monster session was during my sophmore year in college; I'd played Axis and Allies, D&D, Squad Leader, Diplomacy, and some other games for a 5 hour stretch at a time, but I hadn't had a game session that lasted until the sun came up in the morning.

Earlier in the year I'd been introduced to Talisman and Nuclear War, and had a blast playing both. I was so enamored of Talisman that I went out and bought a copy, and was itching for a chance to try it out. Then, one Saturday night in November, a bunch of us were hanging around wondering what to do. I piped up, "how about Talisman?" There were enough assents, so we trooped down the dorm hall to a central room, set up the game, and began to play.

And play.

And play. (This was the basic game, mind you; I hadn't purchased any of the expansions at the time.)

Everytime it seemed that someone would break out of the pack, we beat him back into submission. One player fell asleep at the table, and another friend took over for him. One player managed to reach the Crown of Command about 6 hours into the game, but we pelted him with enough spells that we killed him off before he could kill us off. Since we weren't done, we let the guy start over with a new character and we kept going.

This lasted through the night, and when the sky was starting to turn pink, one person finally won the game. With the sun coming up and the group running on fumes, we packed up the game and headed out to get some breakfast before crashing. This was the first time that I'd been gaming for so long (ended somewhere around 10 hours straight, and I can still remember the rush of adrenaline those last 3-4 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In high school, I used to do all-day Supremacy sessions with my gaming buddies. Sometimes they turned into all-weekend Supremacy sessions. Lots o' fun.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Geeze, if we're talking first EVAR, then I'd have to say the D&D campaigns that I played when I was in middle school. My friends and I would have sleepovers, and just go on a rampage all night long. I think we would average about 2-3 hours of sleep on those nights.

As for board gaming, though, my first Atlanta Game Fest would be my first uber-mega-ultra fest. On Saturday, we started at about 10:00AM, and played until about 3:00AM the next morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if miniatures count. If they do, my first long gaming sessions were in high school. A few of the gamers from my high school and I would run into St. Louis to play armor minis (using a modified Tractics rule set) several times during my senior year.

My first long gaming session involving boardgames? I was a freshman in college, and played multiple games of Kingmaker in one night. I had gotten a chance to play it for the first time, and had to play it again (and again).

My first gaming session of a monster game was my sophomore year in college, when I pulled an all-nighter with three others playing Bloody April. The sad thing was that all-night was not enough, and we had to take notes on the location of everything so we could continue the game later. If memory serves, it never did get finished (we couldn't get everyone back together to resume the game).

I think that Bloody April ranks as the largest game I have ever played. Yes, I own at least one game of a similar (possibly even larger) size (Objective Moscow). Yes, I have played more complex games (Air War, and Harpoon, among others). Yes, I have even had longer gaming sessions (the gaming weekends we hold a couple of times a year are, in essence, continuous gaming for two to six days with only breaks for eating, church services and sleeping). But I can not think of a gaming session that focussed on a single title like that twenty four hour session of Bloody April.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPI's Conquistador.

As I remember, I was English and chose to ignore all the Central and South American gold mines focusing on the cash poor parts of North America (out of some sense of playing to be historically accurate?) I got creamed.

I also played way too much Godsfire and gulp Star Fleet Battles before going off to college and getting exposed to all the SPI monster wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Geeze, if we're talking first EVAR, then I'd have to say the D&D campaigns that I played when I was in middle school. My friends and I would have sleepovers, and just go on a rampage all night long. I think we would average about 2-3 hours of sleep on those nights.

As for board gaming, though, my first Atlanta Game Fest would be my first uber-mega-ultra fest. On Saturday, we started at about 10:00AM, and played until about 3:00AM the next morning.

When I looked back, I expected D&D to be the first monster session I had, and I was surprised when I couldn't remember a big session of D&D. After D&D, I expected my first time to be A&A or Conquest of the Empire, which I played a bit in high school. However, I was under strict rules for being out at night, so there was no way I could have gamed for more than 6 hours unless we started gaming early in the afternoon.

I guess it took being away at college to open up the all-nighter monster sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of a specific session but it would no doubt be a monster sized game of STARFLEET BATTLES sometime in the 80's. I remember one game where we thought it would be really cool to have 30 ships each.

We played the game over 3-4 days and decided we were tired of filling out Allocation Sheets. Game over... but many good memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently played a game of Advanced Civilization with 13 people that lasted about 12 hours. (with an hour break for lunch in there)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents bought me Risk for Christmas when I was 12 and the second game we played lasted 11 hours. Six the first night and five the next day. I know we were playing the rules wrong somehow, but I remember having a blast. Seeing 50-100 armies on each front country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris reichl

Appleton
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was Frank Chadwick's Third World War from GDW. We set up the entire series - Central Front, Arctic Front, Southern Front and Persian Gulf.

It was a reoccuring game we would play. I think my friend and gaming mentor would use it to gauge me on how much I learned from him as his opponent. I always played NATO and my friend played the Soviets/Warsaw Pact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium 2 with boss and coworkers. Went from after work to "Oh god, it's midnight, wife will kill me. No, I'm not leaving Metacol, boss, just saying why I won't be in tomorrow." Now we get together for TI3 once a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
SPI's "Freedom in the Galaxy" – the full campaign game.

I played this with a friend, maybe 15 to 20 years ago.

We started Wednesday night after work... and continued Thursday night after work... and Friday night after work... and all day Saturday... and finally finished up on Sunday afternoon.

We felt that the projected 20-hour playing time (as stated in the rules) was way too optimistic!

It was an incredible game, and an unmatched gaming experience. I would love to do it again someday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I'm not completely sure, but I think it was Diplomacy in about 1982.

If I'm wrong, it was Civilization in 1982.

You'll just have to trust me on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Third World War

Is that worth playing? I remember trying to set it up and putting it away in disgust...

Re: Original Question

Monster sessions.. hmm... probably around age 14, 1988, playing my brother's highly modded version of Grand Imperialism. Those games took a minimum of eight hours.

Most wargames that I like are all day/two-day affairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:
SPI's "Freedom in the Galaxy" – the full campaign game.

I played this with a friend, maybe 15 to 20 years ago.

We started Wednesday night after work... and continued Thursday night after work... and Friday night after work... and all day Saturday... and finally finished up on Sunday afternoon.

We felt that the projected 20-hour playing time (as stated in the rules) was way too optimistic!

It was an incredible game, and an unmatched gaming experience. I would love to do it again someday.

Fly out to San Diego. I'll take you up on it... I've never been able to get anyone to play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Sparks
United States
Christiansburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Junior in high-school... long series of games starting with Axis and Allies and finishing with History of the World. I think it went something like 30 total gaming hours over a snowy weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Champion Eternal
Malaysia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We once did a 24-hour gaming session at university after Friday lectures.

But now, we have at least one 8-10 hour gaming session with an hour break for dinner every week, usually on a Sat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Donnell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More than a few years ago when I was heavily into the Battletech boardgame me and some friends talked the owner of the LFGS into letting us use his rather huge storage/stock room for a four day weekend game of Battletech in exchange for us cleaning out and helping him redo his inventory. Took less than forty-eight hours to clean and redo the inventory and we got ninety-six hours of straight gaming goodness. We actually had broken down the game into four sides of six players each and played in shifts where necessary so people could eat/sleep/whatever. We'd worked out rules for reinforcements, phased deployments, drop zones, etc ahead of time. It was awesome.

Chaz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
well lets see for boardgames it was the battle of moscow from marshall enterprises when i was 12, we played 12 hrs one saturday i was the russian militia on the far right boy i got killed.
as to minatures my favorite was the 72hrs of battltech on 2 4 by 8 boards covered with maps and something on the order of 200 mechs

skinsfan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't at one sitting but mine would be Drach Nach Osten. We had it pinned up one a piece of building sheets and it went on for months. The last was a ten year game of Fire in the East. No, not at one setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in high school in El Paso, TX (late 80's) there was this really weird winter storm that covered the city in a record 12 or some inches within hours. My brothers, friends, and cousins were all snowed in at my house so we had and all night to all day session of Battletech, Risk, and Starfleet Battles. That was a blast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Roleplaying session, mostly D&D. There were the all day Saturday sessions, usually 12-14 hours. There were the Friday night until 7:00 am Saturday morning sessions, but that was probably a couple of years later. Around the same time there were the seven player Diplomacy sessions too. The D&D sessions were probably the first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a weekend D&D session during school holidays back in the early 80s. Interestingly, I suspect it was one of these that turned me from being a dungeon-crawler into being much more of a story-teller since you just couldn't sustain quite that much monster-bashing without doing something else as well.

My fondest monster game memory is of the non-stop table of The Great Dalmuti we kept going at an SF convention once. People came and went (from a high of 13 to a low of 3 in the middle of the night.) I am now very, very good at the game but probably never want to play it ever again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Kegley
United States
Pulaski
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In high school in 1981 I recall one of my cousins and my two best friends and I spent a week gaming Traveller and Squad Leader... odd mix, but boy howdy: that was fun. We took breaks to clean up, eat and sleep (fewer sleep breaks, but nobody would tolerate stinky people but the gaming was pretty much non-stop. I do remember my Mom and Dad commenting afterwards that the food bill was enormous.

But, then again, so was the gaming fun! Oh, for the days when....

Neal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.