Subject: Ogre: Ogrethulhu Officially Canceled rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Kowalski

Salisbury
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really news, more like a "No Duh" moment:

Just out of random curiosity I emailed SJG regarding Ogrethulhu - specifically, why wasn't there any progress since 2003? Here's the response I received yesterday.

"Thank your for your question, and for your support of our games. Unfortunately, the Ogrethulhu book was never published and there are no current plans to develop the line any further. Ogrethulhu may be revived in the future, but that would probably not be for a long time as our planning horizon extends quite a ways into 2007."

So it's 99.999% sure this thing is dead. With that in mind, I'm going to try and get permission to post the (broken) playtest rules from SJG's Pyramid service, so perhaps the fans can get more out of these nifty minis. More as I get it.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is only Munchkin and GURPS on the SJGames plate right now it appears. Sad in a way really, that the backbone games of the past don't sell enough to be supported. I would love to see cheaper OGRE minis in plastic pre-painted, and Car Wars stuff to be rekindled but with build your own car rules included again. But then again the gamer mob can be very fickle..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
malfeis wrote:
Not really news, more like a "No Duh" moment:

Just out of random curiosity I emailed SJG regarding Ogrethulhu - specifically, why wasn't there any progress since 2003? Here's the response I received yesterday.

So it's 99.999% sure this thing is dead. With that in mind, I'm going to try and get permission to post the (broken) playtest rules from SJG's Pyramid service, so perhaps the fans can get more out of these nifty minis. More as I get it.

Wow. I received the Ogrethulhu Mark V miniature as a gift when it came out. I always assumed it was nothing more than a gag item. Lovecraft and Big Tanks are just such an improbable marriage that it never even occurred to me that SJ was considering a serious product line.

However, your article prompted me to google Ogrethulhu and having read up on it, it starts to sound like a really interesting army. I mean, if WH40k can have space-orks, why shouldn't there be a Lovecraft army to put the beat down on GEVs. Cool!

Anyway, it's not surprising that Ogrethulhu is dead considering the entire Ogre universe is stagnant and neglected by SJ.

O to SJ: "Daddy, why don't you love me?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's disappointing. I was hoping they would at least post some stats for the models they did. I suppose that's why we have house rules...

And, just so you know, you can play Space Orks vs. Ogrethulhu. Epic and Ogre are both 6mm scale, so let the battle of the greenskins commence! I think Net Epic even has stats for both, although I'm not 100% sure about Ogrethulhu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it wouldn't be hard to publish the rules, so they must have never actually made them, just sold the fig.

Ogre/G.E.V. and Car Wars are 2 of my all time favorites, and Illuminatti is high up on my list too. It's sad that Evil Stevie doesn't think they are profitable any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lilienkamp
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has playtested the Ogrethulhu rules many times, but we've strayed pretty far from the original rules that Steve Jackson posted and never revised. I'd be happy to post them once we get the approval to do so.

Our rules include regenerating destroyed components, eating enemy units and terrain, and creating Spawn of Ogrethulhu in its pods, and spitting them out onto the board like they were missiles.

Yeah, Ogrethulhu is probably my favorite miniature.

Fish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Kowalski

Salisbury
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the official word from the SJG folks on the matter:

malfeis@malfeis.org wrote:
> SJ Games Gurus,
>
> When I was a Pyramid subscriber a couple of years ago, I was able to grab
> a copy of the official Ogrethulhu playtest rules. Now that the line is
> officially kaput (according to the e-mail I received a long time ago), I
> was wondering if it would be permissible to upload these rough guidelines
> on http://www.boardgamegeek.com so that others such as myself would
> finally have some guidance as to how to use those wonderful miniatures...
>
> I do realize that playtest information is not to be distributed while it
> is a currently active product line, but seeing as how there are no current
> plans to revive the official book, I thought I would ask, rather than
> allow the information to pass into obscurity.

Playtest information remains copyrighted, and should not be distributed
publicly. This material has not yet been made commercially available
because it does not meet our high standards; we do not feel that the
material we have at present is ready for release. Were it released, it
would adversely affect our chances to publish a more polished version in
the future (let alone any expansions or updates). Thank you for asking
after our policy in this matter.
--
Fade Manley
Assistant Webmaster
Steve Jackson Games

So it looks as if posting the rules here is a no-go. Sorry to end my hiatus from the site by bringing with me bad news, but I thought this was important to impart to everyone.

That being said, we now need everyone to post their best variants so that, even without the official guidelines, we can use these minis rather than just for spiffy looking ordinary units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
Epic and Ogre are both 6mm scale

Is there any reason why you couldn't use epic minis to play OGRE? If the scale is right and epic has nifty minis, why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.