Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I broke out Dungeoneer yesterday to play with my friend. I'd played it with him a week earlier, so we both understood the rules. We both like the game too. I'd just bought the Ice Witch deck and the Call of the Lich Lord deck. Lich Lord is the first Epic deck. You can combine it with the Heroic decks to have bigger threats, allow your heroes to get higher than 4th level, and have a longer game if you like.

Cusomization is easy. We picked out half of the Ice Witch deck and half of the Lich Lord deck, seperated the Glory and Peril cards into two decks. We also "stacked" the decks so these decks were sorted randomly from weak cards to powerful cards. Kind of like a RPG where you start small and work your way up in terms of hero abilities and growing danger. The idea for this game was that we would start per normal Heroic quest, then when we got powerful enough, go after the Lich Lord himself. That didn't happen. My Friend had to leave just as my Demon Slayer reached 4th level. I was declared the winner and we stopped there. Enough setup. Let's get to the game.

To begin with, neither of us had the locations for our quests on the map for the first few turns. We explored to build our Glory. Through the luck of the draw, I didn't have any permanent Boons to play and was getting my butt kicked by a shivering rat. That thing must've chased me halfway across the frozen tundra. While I didn't kill it for a long time, I did manage to hold it off while only getting two wounds. My worthy opponent faced a frozen skeleton repeatedly and repeatedly lost because the skeleton does very well on artic map cards, of which most of the Ice Witch set are. It didn't look very promising for either of us.

Then finally the Cursed Ice Shelf was revealed, and it was the Global Quest. I ran over there as fast as I could, beating my opponent to the punch. Actually, he wasn't even trying. Too busy trying to complete his Find Emmy Seach Quest. Too bad for him because I reached the Shelf, defied the Ice Queen, and rose a level finally. When that shivering rat attacked again, I took him out. Hallelujah!

My opponent was having a harder time of it. He wasn't really focusing on his quests and instead was trying to throw a lot of bad stuff my way because I'd built up a lot of Peril. While it slowed me down, it didn't stop me. I faced a few demons, but my Demon Hunter was able to keep her ground, complete another quest (to transport a frozen knight's body from the Polar Forest to the Glacier Canyon. Bingo, another level. My opponent hadn't even reached second.

I finally got a couple of good permanant Boons. One was the Artic Warrior card, which meant all that running around and fighting on the ice was finally paying off because only the most foolhardy (or magically focused) creature would dare face me on the ice now. I also got a Dark Doggy boon, which upped my Magic, so I was feeling pretty confident. Even after I was buried beneath an avalanche and besieged by demons, I held my ground and won the day.

My opponent finally completed one quest (Read the Ice Shelf) and also Found Emmy, though he didn't complete the quest until he got her home. The game had been tougher on him than me and his hero was down to three Life. Still, he pushed on.

Meanwhile, I faced my final quest (Kill the Frost Demon) and after a bit of a battle, I defeated the monster and reached 4th Level. If we'd continued, I would've unleashed the Lich Lord and set about exploring his dungeon realm. But it was late, and we called it quits.

Dungeoneer is a strange game to get a handle on. I don't know why I like it, but I do. It's certainly not a traditional game because I don't consider its purpose to win, but to have a good time watching a story unfold. It's been ages since I RPGed, and I've really no inclination to get back into that world. But Dungeoneer is a nice RPG-lite experience that actually is a game with a very nice feel.

We both had a fun time, and my friend said he'd probably buy a deck or two of his own. So I guess that's the best endorsement I can give.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Dungeoneer is a strange game to get a handle on. I don't know why I like it, but I do. It's certainly not a traditional game because I don't consider its purpose to win, but to have a good time watching a story unfold. It's been ages since I RPGed, and I've really no inclination to get back into that world. But Dungeoneer is a nice RPG-lite experience that actually is a game with a very nice feel.

I feel the same way about this game. I really do enjoy, but alas only my son will play with me and rarely. I like the dungeon settings but don't have the Ice Witch one yet.

I think im gonna get this back out and have a game of it soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.