United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I am a fairly avid Crokinole player, and i thought i had known all the 'official' rules, but while perusing the internet earlier today, i heard of one rule that is considered standard, that i had never heard of.

Going for 20

At ANY time, a player, before shooting, can declare he is "going for 20". He can then bypass attempting to hit any opponents pieces on the board, but he MUST on this turn then get one of his teams pieces (not necesarrily the one he is shooting with) into the 20 point center on that shot. If he fails to do so, the puck he shot with is removed from play.

Anyone else play/heard of this rule? I am now considering playing with it in my weekly crokinole games....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bowsher
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
We play with that rule all the time - I thought it was an 'official' rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never heard of that rule. It would certainly change the game a lot. If all of the opponents discs are away from the center, then why not just shoot for the 20? If their disc is only worth 5, then it's not a big deal to leave it there and go for 20. I'm not sure if I like it or not...I suppose it's worth a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly haven't seen that rule in the rules they use in the world championships or whatever, but there are supposed to be tons of variants for crokinole, right? Seems fair enough to me. Getting a 20 seems very very difficult to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That rule is from timewellspent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
TheKeck wrote:
I certainly haven't seen that rule in the rules they use in the world championships or whatever, but there are supposed to be tons of variants for crokinole, right? Seems fair enough to me. Getting a 20 seems very very difficult to me.

With a bit of practice getting a 20 is fairly easy. What this rule does however is to remove all the challenge of having to (in)directly hit an opponent's piece if one is present on the board, and that removes a great deal of the tension and difficulty from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Borden
United States
Somerset
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a pretty good percent of hitting the 20 in my group too (a recent hit of MESPI brings it over 50% for a couple of us). Part of the game then becomes trying to not only knock off your opponent's pieces, but to leave it in a tough spot for your opponent too. Even if they do hit the piece you left directly across the board behind a peg, you know you will likely be able to set up another difficult shot for them again (keeping you in the driver's seat for several shots in a row).

It may be a rule we could add to help even out the teams though, just let the less experienced players "call 20". I'll give it a try the next time we have unbalanced teams, but I think it would take too much away from the strategy to play with it during a fair matchup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slyde wrote:
Going for 20

At ANY time, a player, before shooting, can declare he is "going for 20". He can then bypass attempting to hit any opponents pieces on the board, but he MUST on this turn then get one of his teams pieces (not necesarrily the one he is shooting with) into the 20 point center on that shot. If he fails to do so, the puck he shot with is removed from play.

Anyone else play/heard of this rule?

Yes, you'll find mention of this rule in the Lagasse Bros version of the rules. However, these rules begin by stating:
Quote:
In every area or region where Pichenotte or Crokinole is played, the rules are slightly different. We have created a set of rules that we think makes for an interesting and challenging game.

Source: http://www.aarongooding.com/games/Crokinole.htm
The "Going for 20" rule is described under section 6. It is, however, an unofficial variant.

Because it is an unofficial variant, it is not present in the official rules used at the world crokinole championships. So if you want to play by the official tournament rules, you won't play with the "Going for 20" rule.
Here's a quote from the rules for the World Crokinole Championship (June 3, 2006):
Quote:
8. a.) As long as there are opponent discs on the playing surface, the contestant must shoot for and hit at least one. For the purpose of this tournament combination shots will be allowed. It is acceptable for the shooting disc to strike another disc (or discs) of the same colour, which then makes contact with an opposing disc.

b.) However, if during the contestant's shot an opposing disc is NOT struck, either directly or indirectly, the shooting disc is removed from the board. IN ADDITION TO THIS, ALL OTHER DISCS OF THE SHOOTING CONTESTANT WHICH HAVE BEEN TOUCHED IN ATTEMPT TO REMOVE AN OPPOSING DISC, ARE ALSO REMOVED FROM THE BOARD.

Source: http://ca.geocities.com/worldcrokinole@rogers.com/rules.html
As you can see, there's no mention is made of the "Going for 20" rule.

Here's another unrelated official rule that is worth knowing about, because several people I've played with were not familiar with it:
Quote:
If there are no opposing discs on the board, a contestant may shoot for the centre hole. The shooting disc must remain in the 15 circle or at least touching the 15 circle line. This stipulation forces the play to the centre of the board and removes the potential of hiding such shots in protected areas (such as behind pegs). Failure to satisfy this stipulation will result in the disc being removed from play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
TheKeck wrote:

With a bit of practice getting a 20 is fairly easy. What this rule does however is to remove all the challenge of having to (in)directly hit an opponent's piece if one is present on the board, and that removes a great deal of the tension and difficulty from the game.

Well, I've only been playing for a few days now. If it really can become easy to get a 20, I would not be in favor of this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
/Agree

...with everything in Ender's post above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all the replies guys (especially Ender),

that finally settles the matter for me. I will NOT be using that variant, as i feel it can break the game. I'm glad it wasnt an official variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule sounds pretty boring.

I think I'd rather take that kind of game and just play quarters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.