Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really only for those of us compulsive enough to track our games played, generate Nickel and Dime lists every year, etc. If that's not you, please ignore the rest of this.

So, do you log face-to-face only, or any games played? How do you log your games played - after every game, or every week or two, or just when you remember? Do you track the games in a log book, also? What kind of information, other than game name, are you interested in?

You may be wondering why I ask. Well, I'm OCD enough to want to track a fair bit of information. But I've never taken the time to enter that information into BGG - just too labor-intensive, especially because of the backlog of thousands of games played. I have, however, been tracking games on my Palm. Every year, I'd export the data to Excel, create pivot tables to come up with the 5 & 10 lists, and put the summaries up as forum entries. Last week, I recreated the spreadsheet but added a macro to record the games played to BGG automatically. It's pretty freakin' cool, if I do say so myself! In fact, it's one of the few things of my own that I've gone ahead and given a thumbsup!

In addition to recording games to BGG, the spreadsheet macro updates the pivot tables to give me information broken down by year, by type (FTF=face to face, BSW=brettspielwelt.de, etc.), and even game length (incomplete data since I added that feature to my PDA application relatively recently). So my real questions are these:
- Is this useful to anyone else?
- Do people track other types of information?
- Should I add anything to the PDA applet?
- Should I make any changes or additions to the Excel spreadsheet?

You can find the files (GameLog.zip) under Miscellaneous Game Accessory, or you can just go here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=20239. Note that you don't actually need to use HanDBase, although there are versions available for PDAs, smartphones, and desktop PCs. That is, you can simply use the Excel spreadsheet by itself.

I'd appreciate any constructive comments.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, do you log face-to-face only, or any games played?

I really only play games face to face. I would not log any online games played though, and that includes BSW or Vassal.

How do you log your games played - after every game, or every week or two, or just when you remember?

Generally that evening, when I get home.

Do you track the games in a log book, also?

No. If I'm in a prolonged session, like an evening in Grand Rapids where I'm likely to play 5 or more games, then I will generally keep a little note sheet of my games played and my preliminary ranking (subject to change as soon as I get home and think about it), but after I have logged the games into the database I have no other log of them.

What kind of information, other than game name, are you interested in?

I'm not sure quite what you're asking here. If you mean, do I track extra stuff: like the number of players, how long the game takes, or who won, then the answer is no.

I log games because I find it fun to see what I've been spending my time with, and, from a practical standpoint, it helps me to see games that I should think about punting out of my collection, and sometimes reminds me that I need to pull a certain title off the shelf again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I record FTF and PBEM games.

Whenever I can remember to do it.

No log book.

I track date, game name, number of players, whether I won, wheter it is a new game for me, the winner, my rating for that play, and text comments. Also whether it is a partnership game or an unbalanced team game, and where it was played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I log all my games against humans. My games against monkeys or turtles? Not recorded. Nor are my games against AI opponents. So Face to Face, BSW, SpielbyWeb, Mabiweb, etc are all recorded here.

For my face2face games, I have a log book that I record my games played in, but I don't remember to take it to all game sessions, so not everything is in there. I do not keep an excel spread, so I don't have an easy way to identify f2f vs online play.

I record games played as played on the day they happened (for RL) or the day they ended for online. In the rare case of F2F games played past midnight, I record it for the day it started on. So a game that started at 12:30 am, will be recorded for the actual date, not with the others from the night before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamburg
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally only play games face-to-face, but when I play online I don't log those.

How do you log your games played - after every game, or every week or two, or just when you remember?
Every evening, unless I'm away from home for a few days. Then, when I get back home.

Nope; I do write them on a sheet of paper when I know I'll be away from the internet for a few days, just so I can record them properly, but I toss the paper after I log them.

I don't feel the need to record any additional information- I don't care who I played the game with or who won or lost.

I log my games for several reasons. First, I do it as a bit of a competition against myself- to see how many games I can play. That's probably the primary motivator for me, but it's a silly one.

The second, more useful reason, is to see what parts of my collection are getting played and which aren't. It helps me know what to keep and what to purge. It also reminds me if I let some really good games go without getting table time because I'm trying too many new games. It helps me put the brakes on game buying if I see that too much of my collection is unplayed. Finally, it helps me keep my ratings honest. If I notice that I'm playing a particular game a lot, I might bump my rating up a point or two, as it obviously sees table time for some reason. OTOH, if I see that something never hits the table, even though it has had ample opportunity to do so, then maybe I should lower my rating.

I checked out your Excel spreadsheet- nice work! I'm not sure if I'll use it (I don't have a PDA, and logging directly into BGG meets my needs), but it is really quite nice. If I did have a PDA, I probably would use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:

FTF only.

snoozefest wrote:

After every session

snoozefest wrote:

No

snoozefest wrote:

Level of substance consumption vs. win/loss ratio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:

I generally only record face to face games... If I play on BSW (been quite a while), I don't log them... If I play a computer version against humans where the game does not keep track of games played, then I log it... Such as Iron Dragon vs. the hubby... Computer version against AI's do not get logged... Solo games do not get logged...

Quote:

I track games played in a Memo on my Palm then enter them whenever I have the chance AND remember to... Usually about once a month...

Quote:

On a permanent basis, I maintain an Excel spreadsheet of games played, at least I do since the crash this summer that almost wiped out the games played info...

Quote:

None... I don't usually worry about number of players or who won... In the long run, that info doesn't really matter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments, all! My files will be of no use to any of you (except possibly Amy), but you've given me some direction ... I think I will (eventually) add:
- an option to choose which types of game plays do or do not get logged to BGG
- some simple way to see which games have not been played recently

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
Face to face only. No BSW, no PB(e)M, no BGG T&E
snoozefest wrote:
Try to do it daily on BGG or the next time I log on.
snoozefest wrote:
I would if I could find my log book
snoozefest wrote:
In terms of BGG logging, not much. Although I like Morgan's idea, although the type of beverage, quantity consumed and ratings would need to be recorded meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Wai-kit FUNG
Hong Kong
Mongkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I log Face-to-Face games played only.

I recently started to use log sheets. I record games played, with who, which team, end game scores, their comments, and suitability of current number of players in game. There are some interesting facts can be dug out. And help generate better advice to other new gamers to my group. Occasionally also log funny dialogs or funny gaming situations for after game laughters and analysis.

PS: I designed my own log sheet to fit all my needs. Also plan to design/use a quick-log sheet, to be used in large event probably.

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So, do you log face-to-face only, or any games played? How do you log your games played - after every game, or every week or two, or just when you remember? Do you track the games in a log book, also? What kind of information, other than game name, are you interested in?

Mostly face to face only, but some online games have crept in. I dont bother logging the correspondence chess games I play, even though they can take some serious time.

I dont keep a log book. In fact, im questioning why I log games at all now...who really cares (besides myself) what I am playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
I log first few online games, so you can see if my rating comes from 1 play, or more than that. Never more than 5/game. I log all my online Go games however - each one is way more intense gaming experience than any euro f2f, even more than casual f2f go games. They belong in the 'games played' more than 5 minute simpei/hey!that's my fish...

(i usually also log games that are: bought by me, but played not by me on gaming nights I am organizing (the idea being I want to see how many times I had some use out of my purchase, even if it was only 'getting people to come to my house', and not 'playing it')

snoozefest wrote:

next time i log on
snoozefest wrote:
no
snoozefest wrote:
i'd like to be able to say if this was f2f or internet, other than that what bgg offers is enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio De Leo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I log all the games I play, both face to face and online.

I log them as soon as I connect to internet.

I only log the game played, no other information.

I log the games in order to see which ones I play more, how much time I have for gaming month by month, what game I should take out of the drawer, and so on.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
Face-to-face only. But I don't play These Games Of Ours online/multiplayer, and I'd probably include them if I did.
snoozefest wrote:
As soon as possible, else I'd forget
snoozefest wrote:
Spreadsheet. I don't trust anyone else's backup policy. And on BGG I can't easily answer the query 'when did I play game X'
snoozefest wrote:
I record date, place, win/loss and sometimes a comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only record F2F games. I have a simple Excel spreadsheet that lists the name of the game and the designer and then I just plug in a date next to it when it's played. I don't keep track of any other info like who played, who won, or anything like that.

I mostly do it just because it's fun to look back and see what I've been playing, what I maybe haven't played in awhile and should get to the table again, what I haven't played in awhile and can be traded, and I write up a forum entry at the end of every year talking about each game I've played. I'll probably do it as a Geeklist this year. Can you write a program that downloads my games played into a Geeklist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I log both face to face (the vast majority) and PBEM games. I don't play any real-time online games (like BSW) and I'm not sure if I'd log those. Probably.

I don't record any other information, although I wish I'd kept track of peoples' names at cons and things like that.

I log after each session.

Extra information? Can't think of anything important offhand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Favre4MVP wrote:
I'll probably do it as a Geeklist this year. Can you write a program that downloads my games played into a Geeklist?

Having done annotated games played lists for the last two years http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/12555 (2005) and http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/5808 (2004) that would potentially save me almost a day's effort. Although the annotations take quite a bit of time too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:

Both, but only the ones that I start and finish in the same session or day. PBEM stretch on for too many days to be recorded in the 'Geek's day-based log.

snoozefest wrote:

Usually that evening or the next day.

snoozefest wrote:

Nope, just on the 'Geek.

snoozefest wrote:

Nothing else.

My games played in last 30 days - http://boardgamegeek.com/profile.php?username=blindspot&acti...

My games played in November - http://boardgamegeek.com/profile.php?action=gamesplayed&user...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm forgetful and I enjoy knowing how many times I've played a game, so I do log plays. Usually I'll log them on BGG that night or the day after. For games that I own, I also keep track of the number of plays in a spreadsheet.

I also have a word processor doc where I log game-group sessions (as opposed to casual gaming with the family) by writing down who I played what game with and who won. I don't do this because I care about win-loss statistics or anything like that, it's more that I often find myself asking "who was in on that game of...?" I've gotten more lazy with this list as time has gone on, though, and so there are a fair number of holes in it nowadays.

I only log face-to-face games, because for me playing online or via e-mail isn't the same experience; it's sort of like "practice." The one exception is two-player abstracts; I get a fair amount of satisfaction out of playing these by e-mail, though I still don't log them as official "plays" (don't ask me why; it's a gray area, I just made a snap decision).

Just for laughs I started back-filling some of the games that I played into the BGG DB (using approximate dates) but haven't finished the project. Is that weird? Probably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
do you log face-to-face only, or any games played?

Only play games face-2-face, but if I played on-line I'd probably log those too.

Quote:

Every few days

Quote:
Do you track the games in a log book, also? What kind of information, other than game name, are you interested in?

No, just record what I played & when on scrap paper, then when I'm on BGG I log the games and then dispose of the paper.

Quote:
So my real questions are these:
- Is this useful to anyone else?
- Do people track other types of information?
- Should I add anything to the PDA applet?
- Should I make any changes or additions to the Excel spreadsheet?

Not really that useful to me as I don't currently capture that level of detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Jesper Edmark
Sweden
Hässleholm
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only log F2F-games. I play a fair amount of Boardgames online, mainly in BSW but have chosen not to log those games here on BGG.

I log games played at the earliest convinient opportunity, which most often means later that night or the day after.

Aside game name I log which expansions that were used, but that is about it. It would have been nice to log details, like opponents and placement, but I havn't spent the time or energy to fix one. If I had a PDA though...

The Excel-file looks really nice, I didn't try the "log to BGG" function, but I'm sure it is excellent. The only addition I can think of right now is who the opponents were. That would be the additional info I would log if I had the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:

I generally only play FTF. I only log games against humans, otherwise I'd have a bazillion games of chess logged as my Palm beats me senseless time and again.

snoozefest wrote:

After every session. The BGG interface is really fast and easy to use, so I just take care of it when we wrap up for the night.

snoozefest wrote:

No

snoozefest wrote:

Core game and expansions handled in a more sensible fashion on the yearly reports. For example, my AoS games are spread out over several different titles. I don't want to double-log a game played with the expansion + core, because what if I then really do play the core game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only log FTF games. I think games via PC playing are meh. I don't log anything except games played. At first I tried logging players, scores, etc. then realized how all that was pretty useless. I just want to play games and have fun.

So I only log games played via BGG db. My wife helps me if I've forgotten anything played if I'm not near my PC for a few days.

Sometimes I logged my games via my wireless (EVDO) PDA straight to BGG's db.

~Allen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all! I'll be sure to try to incorporate some of these ideas in future versions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:

I log 'em if I'm against a human being. Only exception were the 5-6 Ticket to ride games I've played against 'bots, but I don't log em anymore.

snoozefest wrote:

Usually, after everygame, but sometimes, I'll do it at the end of the evening

snoozefest wrote:
Do you track the games in a log book, also? What kind of information, other than game name, are you interested in?

Sometimes, I log them in a log book, mainly if I found something interresting that I think I could re-use for my own designs. I log the scores, who were the players and the date. I don't care how long the game took or many of the other details. I'd like a note section, just in case, but nothing too much.

I've downloaded and installed your app on my PALM M515. The main negative point to it would be the speed, it seems that it's very slow on my Palm. Especially the Games Played section. This is where you need to get the best response. Faster is always better! I'd love a slimmer game entry. Either by allowing a second page for players 7 and up or putting less information on the game. I felt it took a long time just to record a game. However, most information, I don't think I'd be using (like the number of minutes)

I also had some problems trying to view my collection after importing it from BGG, but like any guy, I didn't read the manual! I had problem scrolling through the games to update those that are expansions or not.

Another comment, is there a way to import the games we already have recorded on BGG into the database, so that the pivot tables means something for us?

I was looking for something like that, so I'm happy to have read your post!

Now, if we could get a portable BGG on our Palms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.