my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just went through the core scenarios and put together a spreadsheet of the units used according to battle and army. I'll update it to include the bonus scenarios when they arrive. If you see any errors or omissions, let me know. (Note that a corrected file, CCAEX1unitsR1.pdf, with a corrected count for MC and Leaders for Himera is now up.) If anyone is interested in the Excel doc, let me know and I'll post it also.

All in all, there seems to be some interesting match ups and mix of units in these battles. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing how Jaxartes River plays out.

Couple of random notes and observations:

Looks like we finally get to use those Roman Elephants (Magnesia) and War Machines (Beneventum).

For Antigonus, the Eastern Army blocks are used for the battles of Paraitacene and Gabiene but then the Greek Army blocks are used to represent Antigonus at Ipsus.

For the battle of Ipsus you must use a couple of Roman or Carthaginian elephants as the fourth elephant unit of the Seleucid (Eastern) army.

For the battle of Asculum, both sides get to place their two generals with any unit of choice AFTER reviewing their command cards.

In Heraclea, the Romans cannot ignore flags rolled by enemy elephant.

When Alexander is attached to a unit, the unit battles with one additional dice.

Enemy cavalry disguised as reinforcements at Himera.

Lots of good stuff here.

edit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good info and great icon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, good observations. These scenarios look like they will be a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I really like the Special Scenario chrome rules. A few scenarios have elephants on both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, there is a lot here. While there are some special "chrome" additions, I think what makes a bigger (tho harder to see) difference is combinations of "the same old units" in new ways.. Elephant v Elephant gets not new chrome, but sure changes the look of the battlefield. We also see more terrain involved in more battles too. That isn't new chrome so much as pushing us to work with terrain rules we haven't used a lot of (and to see how that changes battle flow).

I particularly appreciate how they've woven the two core game armies into scenarios with the two new armies.

I'm a little surprised how many people have complained that "there isn't enough different" when it looks like they haven't played the first scenario or grasped the details you mention here.

I guess there is still an expectation that the game will be broken down with ASL type lists of DRMs that people can manipulate to see that the game really captures specific differentiation-- like a "medium infantry" unit from each nationality should have distinctly different capabilities (which might mutate according to the period and the general leading the army!--- Yikes!)

For me, I see plenty of good time coming up playing with what comes in the box (boxes, actually).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.