9 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » General

Subject: Betrayal at House on the Hill - "2nd ed." coming? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Warren

Alabama
msg tools
This game intrigues me, but I'm well aware of some of the gameplay problems inherent in the current ed. that required two official errata sheets as well as a fairly detailed FAQ to make it more playable. Normally, I'd pick it up anyway and just work with the errata, but does anyone know whether it is undergoing an official revision to be released in an updated version anytime soon?

The facts that (1) the game appears to be under the Wizards of the Coast umbrella now (the company that is a master of new, revised editions), (2) official numerous errata have been released, (3) it has been roundly criticized for certain play mechanics, but has gathered a following all the same, and (4) it is available at Toys 'R Us for $19.99 right now make me think that a new edition is in the works. What say you?

I'd hate to pick up the current version (even at $20) and find out a few weeks later that a revised edition is on its way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the version in stores now is an updated version of an earlier release. But anyway, I think the reason it's cheap is that Avalon Hill is liquidating all of their games except for the Axis & Allies series. If you search for "Avalon Hill" in the forums you will see numerous threads devoted to this topic.

So if you're waiting to buy it because of an impending new edition, I don't think there's going to be one, you might as well buy now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be extremely surprised if there is any sort of support or reprint for this game. I love the game as a fun group game and I would love to see it in different settings but Avalon Hill doesn't look to be doing anything other than Axis and Allies for the near future. I can't find the links right now but a month or two ago there were a few threads about AH ditching many of their newer titles, like BaHotH, Nexus Ops, Vegas Showdown, etc and that was the reason for the low price at TRU.

I would grab it while you can because I would bet it will be out of print sooner rather than later and this is the type of game that will be more popular as time goes on and nostalgia helps people forget the need for errata and helps Upstairs Underground Lakes gain an endearing quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I don't think there is going to be a second edition. If I remember correctly, there have been a lot of WoTC/Avon Hill games for sale lately such as Nexus Ops and Vegas Showdown. It more sounds like they are dumping stock or Toy R Us is having a sale than a second edition is immenent.

Personally, I think the question to ask yourself is if you'll be upset paying $20 bucks for this one if a new edition comes out. Then ask yourself the other question of will you be made at yourself for not picking this one up for $20 bucks if a new edition doesn't come out.

I got it for the original MSRP, played it atleast 10 times, I think its worth twenty bucks, but thats just my opinion. Errata and all.

Take care,
Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fitch
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Loc Nar wrote:
This game intrigues me, but I'm well aware of some of the gameplay problems inherent in the current ed. that required two official errata sheets as well as a fairly detailed FAQ to make it more playable. Normally, I'd pick it up anyway and just work with the errata, but does anyone know whether it is undergoing an official revision to be released in an updated version anytime soon?

The facts that (1) the game appears to be under the Wizards of the Coast umbrella now (the company that is a master of new, revised editions), (2) official numerous errata have been released, (3) it has been roundly criticized for certain play mechanics, but has gathered a following all the same, and (4) it is available at Toys 'R Us for $19.99 right now make me think that a new edition is in the works. What say you?

I'd hate to pick up the current version (even at $20) and find out a few weeks later that a revised edition is on its way.

I agree with the others that you should get this game soon rather than waiting for an unlikely re-print.
I also highly recommend the re-formatted and corrected "Traitor's Tome" and "Secrets of Survival Guide" by UniversalHead in the Betrayal at House... Files Section http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=file&gamei...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Warren

Alabama
msg tools
Thanks for the feedback all. I will snag a copy today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Good call. This game is about to be no more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Warren

Alabama
msg tools
Acquired at toysrus.com. I threw in Sword and Skull (also $20) to take advantage of the $10 off $30 Google Checkout deal. That paid for shipping for both and some tax. Not bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a new tome/guide with errata included has been available at the avalon hill web site for some time now.

it seems unlikely that we'll see a second edition, at least under their banner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.