Subject: Gift ideas for myself... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] christmas [+] [View All]
Calvin Bulthuis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I am new to the hobby and only have a few games. My favorite game is probably Traders of Genoa and my game group has played countless games of settlers. I bought Caylus a while back, but it was too deep for some of the people in the group. Any suggestions for games I should ask for Christmas? I have been considering Ticket to Ride Europe because I have heard it is more complex than the original, but is it still a good gateway game for those unfamiliar with European map? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nobody doesnt like puerto rico.

as for ticket 2 ride, Marklin is supposedly the gamers edition, on that same front, maybe thurn & taxis instead if u only have 4 regulars. it's always a good idea to look for games that will fit the size of ur normal group.

samurai is a good game that is simple to play, but is really a true gameres game.

also, maybe an auction game, those tend 2 keep everyone's attention. modern art is my personal favorite, but there are nay sayers, so maybe something like Ra might be a little more approachable to the everyman.

at the end of the day, going through the top 15-20 games on the geek, it's hard to go wrong.

some great fillers and ligher games are for sale, Bohnanz and Bang! are easy to grasp, and typically quick to play.

welcome aboard and enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McF
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darlok wrote:

Further proof that I'm just nobody.

I have played Ticket to Ride Europe with people who are not geographically inclined in the least and they did just fine. There is a little bit of slow down on occasion trying to find the cities on the destination cards but the cards show the relative position of the cities to help find them easier. I have never played Marklin so I can't comment on it. However, one can not use the additions in Europe and play the game using the same rules as the original Ticket to Ride.

As James said, though, go through the top games here on BGG and you will find some that your group should like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
darlok wrote:

Incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've said it before but RA is just the amount of weight to be strategic with enough luck to make it fun!

This game always goes over well for people new to the hobby.

Other's which may peak your interest:

Tikal
Amun-Re
Mykerinos (perfect little gem of a game)
Hollywood Blockbuster

What do you like about the games you've played so far? What are you NOT looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.