Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My second game of manilla played very differently from the first and it was equally enjoyable. I started well becoming the habour master in the first turn at a reduced price and purchased a third type of share since 3 gingers were already out there. Three goods, three shares, so I won across the board and picked up some cash from the boat placements aswell. Everything was going very sweetly.

Third round and again I picked up the habourmaster (which was now going for 20-25 a turn) and added a duplicate share for four total. All going was going nicely and I was content to sit back again and watch the bidding. Then it all went to custard, though not as yellow and slimey as I thought.

It started with a pirate. One little pirate jumping on my boat (with two of my passengers)and wizz bang just like that I was almost penniless (diversity, how rich it is). This would not have been so bad, had any boats came in on the next turn. but they didn't and suddenly everyone was starting to cry foul and I was tapping shares. The enxt turn, an almost identical situation and lots of people were tapping shares. I was tapping more.

Cut a long story short and you will hear that I rapidly felt desperate. Desperate enough to be jumping on the pirate, even twice in one turn to try and get back in a game I was convinced I was out of. 6 times the pirate, 13 times with a chance for the big cash in, but just no luck. unfortunately what I failed to realise was that everyone else was doing as poorly as I was. I was probably second in raw share value as it happens and in the end I lost by maybe ten. How stupid was that, had I not thrown away my money for a good five turns trying to get back in the game, I may well have won. Still the winning total of 85 was completely disparate to the total of 115 that I won with in the first game, hence my delima. 100+ to win I told myself, I must get back in the game.

In the end Matt, playing for the first time was the winner, by one from jason and frank a further 1 behind. Who could believe it. I was shocked I was even in teh ballpark and realised my error far too late.

The game played very differently a second time round and I the random factor provided a lot of character. I well enjoyed the game and look forward to another some time down the track. Having played this twice it is not a game I feel compelled to play again and again but I would play it any time and will suggest it in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report, Andy. Keep up the good work... and soon that avatar will be yours If you're lucky you might find some donations coming your way!
Manila was good fun and I'm keen to play it again in the near future with the same 5 players; I think it would be pretty intense second time around! I think one of the things that stood out to me about Manila was how much everyone got into the Harbourmaster's dice rolling. Similar to Winner's Circle, everyone would stand up when it came to the boats moving... it is good to have such a socially engaging game.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.