Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game of Caylus and I am hooked. Ain't no doubt I will enjoy exploring this one in the future. Many people have commented on all the moving parts and array of difference the buildings provide. I look forward to exploring the paths to power as I did with Puerto Rico. In fact Puerto Rico in a very good analagy with it's various paths of victory and specific action pieces. It jumped out at me as the same.

In truth I made two mistakes. Firstly I didn't invest in buildings and hence reap the reward later down the track for doing so. I only woke up to the rule about plaing for 1 on your on building later. I thik I needed at least some building investment. I also didn't handle the favour tracks well. I got lots of favours aok, but I didn't use them to their fullest and wastest a couple of favours because I was short on cash. Such is life. I would play infinitely better a second time round.

The game was won by Jacob who just built all day. Because there were so many rules and implications of rules I spent all day waeving the threads to thier appropriate conclusions without actually playing the game. I was somewhat obsessed my the castle and miscalcualted several times.

The experts amoung us had a gentlemans agreement to be kind with the probiscus?? which I think is useful for a first game. Certainly on a second game that will be retified and it is an essential elemnt of the game that must be balanced. I look forward to cutting a few throats, but ratehr expect that I will play conservatively with my placements early in the game.

Just one question. Where was the catchup mechanism? Still that is little fault for a game of a million plays. I look forward to making my way towards a million.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In truth I made two mistakes. Firstly I didn't invest in buildings and hence reap the reward later down the track for doing so. I only woke up to the rule about plaing for 1 on your on building later. I thik I needed at least some building investment. I also didn't handle the favour tracks well. I got lots of favours aok, but I didn't use them to their fullest and wastest a couple of favours because I was short on cash. Such is life. I would play infinitely better a second time round.

Good luck for your next game! In fact, using favours for cash isn't all that bad a strategy. In 2-3 player games, the building track is dominant, but the money track comes close to 2nd - especially when the bank comes out and you can convert money to gold.

Quote:
The game was won by Jacob who just built all day. Because there were so many rules and implications of rules I spent all day waeving the threads to thier appropriate conclusions without actually playing the game. I was somewhat obsessed my the castle and miscalcualted several times.

Ah yes - the joy of miscalculating. Been there. Done that. Lost the games to prove it.

Quote:
The experts amoung us had a gentlemans agreement to be kind with the probiscus?? which I think is useful for a first game.

Provost. Definitely a good idea when you're learning.

Quote:
Just one question. Where was the catchup mechanism?

There isn't really a catch-up mechanism. However, even with average plays, you'll generally be in touch with the leader. It's hard to make a runaway win until the endgame.

I've noticed that even in games when I've taken the early lead in points (and production buildings), the result has been quite close - this is because I've been depleting my stock of cubes.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.