Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just been granted permission by the MWR (Morale, Welfare, and Recreation) department here in Korea to run a monthly board game event on bases here. This is a huge thing for us, and we will be able to promote it amongst many bored soldiers. I have my personal game collection, and perhaps we can wrangle some other copies of games - but right now I'm trying to set up advertising for the program on base.

What I'm looking for are good ideas for game names and pictures to use in the advertising. Things that will make soldiers stop and be interested in trying some of these games out.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try and ask my base friends here in the Air Force what they are interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, you might want to start out emphasizing card games. I'm in the Air Force and every base I've been stationed at had plenty of card players; most played either Spades, Hearts, or Rummy, while a few played Euchre or Pinochle. When I discovered German games a few years back, I was able to get my co-workers to play card games such as Wizard, 6 Nimmt, Wyatt Earp, and Lost Cities during lunch. From there, I was better able to get 'em interested in the bigger board games.

Most of the bases have an annual chess championship, so abstract games along the lines of Ingenious and Blokus might work as well.

Thanks for starting this up and good luck. I wish there'd been something like this at my previous duty stations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahem.

No, that would be tacky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Mitch's point is an excellent one, Tom. Certainly most ex-soldiers I've met were experienced card players. The Mystery Rummy games, avoidance games like Sticheln (similar to Hearts), and some of the many trick-taking games are ideas.

I bet a lot of the soldiers have experience with Magic and other CCGs, so you might want to think about Blue Moon, Scarab Lords, and other CCG-like games. Some have probably dabbled in roleplaying, so fantasy-based games (practically anything from FFG) might be popular as well.

And when my nephew was enlisted, he and his buddies played lots of wargames. You should probably stay away from the more complicated fare, but titles like Vinci or maybe even Wallenstein might work.

Good luck with this, my friend. It sounds like a great opportunity to spread the word, while bringing some pleasure to our boys overseas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
caesarmom wrote:
Ahem.

No, that would be tacky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
TOM VASEL is asking for game suggestions??? wow

Imagine the conversation:

How about...
NAH
what about...
nope
did you think of...
didn't like it
maybe this...
not quite what I'm looking for
There's this new game, have you heard of...
Yes... and still no

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Todd
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking league games might work such as Kosmos' Finale or White Winds' Phantoms of the Ice.

The Great Dalmuti might be interesting using rank insignia rather than hats.

Werewolf seems like a natural if you get the turnout

Not to blow sunshine where there is usually none but after reading many of your offerings here on the geek I'm sure with you in the lead whatever you decide on will be a great success.

Good luck sir and if ever you need any help... Just ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone loves trains. I've never found a better "gateway" game than Ticket to Ride. Plus, the US geography might be fun for the guys overseas.

By the way Tom, thanks for all your reviews! Yours is the first one I read when I'm contemplating a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the card game line the Mystery Rummy is great fun. I would also recommed Battleline, Formula Motor Racing, Werewolf(for the number that can play) and Killer Bunnies. I would suggest Tsuro because up to eight players can play. I like Settlers of Cattan, Carcassonne, Blokus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
caesarmom wrote:
Ahem.

No, that would be tacky.

First game I thought of when I read this article!

What about Crokinole / Carrom / PitchCar - manly dexterity games?

I don't know many soldiers, but I think it might take a little while to convince the guys that Real Men Play Board Games, but if you can get them in with something not too intimidating (e.g. don't start with Mermaid Rain) they'll be able to see that it's fun.

I can imagine soldiers really getting into a game of Memoir '44 Overlord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What I'm looking for are good ideas for game names and pictures to use in the advertising. Things that will make soldiers stop and be interested in trying some of these games out.

what type of base is it? (having done some time at the usafa, i know we played a lot of different games during our very limited downtime)

My suggestion would be some pictures of some of the better looking games, such as War of Right, RailRoad Tycoon, Shogun, BattleLore.

As for what games to play...u would b better at that than I. Depends on # of players, type of players, time, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave and Gwen Fogel
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- I am a former soldier and I VERY much agree that card games are a good catch for advertising

- Just a comment about ACTUAL playing. Two things to consider: Learning time and table space. Once they learn a game, I am betting they won't want to learn a new game each time, they'll want to get good at THAT game. So these joes will want to play games on their own - and that will require games that do NOT need a large table (or at least a single large flat service).

- I played a bunch of Caracassonne because we didn't need a consistant large table space. I never carried a box: I put everything in a bag, we played on the floor, and we kept score with scraps of paper.

- I also agree with Werewolf. I ran a few games and the joes had a great time.

LASTLY, thank you for supporting the soldiers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crocodile Pool Party!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom... When will these events take place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hill
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest sports games, all GI's like sports. I remember being stationed in Germany and staying up till 3AM to watch American football. I would suggest Pizza box football or if you want cards break out Harry's grand slam baseball and give that a try. Being a GI I like war games but I find alot of my friends don't like the time it takes to learn and play them. Maybe A House Divided would be a good choice at a lite type wargame that is easy to teach and has the conflict that military folks like. Nexus Opps would probably be another game that might gain interest. Just a few ideas...

I think that you have a good open at getting MWR to allow you in. I hope that it opens up the hobby to people that can deploy and find gamers the world over.

Good luck,

Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You must teach them Liar's Dice. You can gamble with it, and you don't need much in the way of space or components. Plus it's flexible with the number of players and it's dead simple to teach. But of course you know all that already.

*start edit 1*
I'd use the name Liar's Dice in the advertising. Call My Bluff would be the second choice because it does not mention dice but does make the game sound interesting. Perudo and Bluff are dull names.

My choice for picture ID to use would be 74781 because the cupped hands and the tilted cup suggest hidden information, like a hand of cards. A picture of a game box or some cups with dice or some people sitting around with some upside-down cups in front of them does not convey the game's essence as well as picture ID 74781.
*end edit 1*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on, nobody has yet mentioned Bang! ?...

This is a great game for a group and has a theme anyone can get into.

Besides those Spagetti Western pictures on the cards that look like wanted posters are great. Blow up some of those pictures and really make them into players wanted posters as advertising.

-Helen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent Railroad Tycoon, Bohnanza, Coloretto and Bang! to some soldiers in Iraq and I know all of those games got a lot of use.

-Helen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
*shameless plug*

I would hope that Heroes Incorporated would go over well with them. The box art and logo are attractive and it's easy for new players to immediately grasp the purpose of the game. Plus, it's got enough luck in it that new players have just as much chance at winning as experienced ones, but experience still pays off when you make better choices in the game and plan ahead a bit.

Tom, if you need any graphics, the Heroes Inc logo, etc., just let me know and I would be happy to supply them. I can even send another copy of the game if you need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Heckathorn
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
devil I can't believe nobody mentioned:

Just kidding! Though I have no doubt that would get the men to take notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.