Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manowarplayer's THIRD ANNUAL Christmas Game Give-away Contest

A Magical Christmas Story....

Once upon a time (before people had thumbs), there was a simple idea for a Christmas Contest:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/411826#411826

There were many wonderful geeks that played, but only one lucky geek guessed correctly and he recieved some holiday cheer under his Christmas Tree. The following year, there was another Christmas Contest, along the lines of the first...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/724799#724799

Now our winner from the previous year nearly missed out on this year's contest but he made it at the last minute and then he had to share with BGG, the Magic that had happened the year before. This special story had been unknown to all but those involved to that point...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/728454#728454

A very well known geek here at the Geek read about the events of that first Christmas Contest and got the idea to start the Secret Santa Exchange(s) here on BGG:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/729007#729007
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1180984#1180984

Although this year's Secret Santa looks to be a huge success (go sign up if you haven't already!), I don't want to stop my own contest as I really do have a lot of fun with it. SO, without further ado...

Welcome to the Manowarplayer's THIRD Annual Christmas Contest!!!

I'm giving away a game in my collection as a Christmas present to whoever first correctly guesses which game it is. Really! That's right, a game, not geek gold. It's the Holiday season and I wanted to do something appropriate and what could be more appropriate than a gamer getting a game for a Christmas contest? I can't tell you which game, because that is for you to figure out. I’m not going to say whether it is a brand new shrink wrapped game, or an opened game from my collection. I’m not going to give you an idea of the dollar value of the game. I’m not going to say if it is a boardgame or a CCG. You’ll just have to wait until I announce the winner!

I use this contest to find a few new Geekbuddies and keep in touch with my old ones. The idea is that maybe you'll look through my list of games, see that we are Geekbuddy compatible and let me know! Of course, you may just get a great game out of it too!

Don't think we are a good Geekbuddy match? SO? I want you to make a guess anyway! This is the best time of the year and I want to spread some Christmas Cheer! So check out my collection and let's see if I have the perfect Christmas Present for YOU.

Here's how you play:

Go to my profile and on my Rating Distribution Chart click on either the games I've rated as an "8" (currently 75 of them), games I've rated as a "7" (currently 109 of them) or games I've rated as a "6" (currently 95 of them). Of these 3 ratings groups look through the lists and try and figure out which game I'm going to give away. You only get one shot at it so make it a good guess. People who make more than ONE guess will get COAL in there stocking! Make a reply to this post stating which game you think it is - hopefully you'll also get a chance to compare some of the games that I like and see how we match up as Geekbuddies. If you think we should be Geekbuddies, let me know! I really enjoy reading all the comments about how people came up with their guesses, so feel free to elaborate a bit on your guess when you make your post.

I'll cover any shipping costs to those here is the US, but if you live outside the USA and want to play too, feel free to guess as long as you are willing to pay the shipping costs to get the game to you.

By the way, EVERYONE is entitled to play, BGG Admins and sponsers are more than welcome to make a guess.

Previous Christmas Game Giveaway Winners:

2004 Dane Peacock (Sky Knight X)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Sky%20Knight%20X
Dane found a copy of Galaxy: The Dark Ages under his Christmas Tree!

Winner's announcement:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/412199#412199

2005 Jeff Adair (adonismayhem)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/adonismayhem
Jeff found a copy of Blokus waiting for him under his Christmas Tree

Winner's announcement:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/734587#734587

2006?? YOUR NAME HERE!

[b]Please be kind with your thumbsup so this thread can stay active and more people can participate![b]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollywood Blockbuster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simplified Rules for those that don't want to read all the above...

1. Go to my profile and look at my game collection.
2. Of the games rated 8, 7 or 6, pick the one you think I've selected to give to some lucky Geek!
3. Make your post.
4. Give this thread a thumbsup to keep it active and hot!
5. Await my Winner's announcement where I tell you you were correct!

Merry[/BGCOLOR] [COLOR=#009900]Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tutankhamen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Torres.

It's no longer available (I think) and you clearly think it's a good game, but it's not quite your thing.

That sounds like the sort of game you would give away in this contest - I know you aren't trying to rid yourself of junk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aerodrome ....ah....its worth a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's (1+7), 7, and 6. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this again Scott, I've been looking forward to it all year! A chance for redemption, after last year's failed guess of Evo. I am tempted to guess Evo again because that would be so sad if I changed games this year and it turned out to be Evo. But I've actually had a chance to play Evo and didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped/expected, so I'm going to go ahead and change guesses. If my chances are 0.3% (1 out of 278) then I might as well pick something I want just in case I win. Now I won't go so far as to pick something I really, really want like La Citta, Stephenson's Rocket, or Mississippi Queen: Black Rose because they're out-of-print, but if it turns out you do give away an OOP game, I'll be very sad indeed. So what does that leave me with? I've narrowed it down to three choices, and I have a good feeling about these. My choices are Cartagena, Tongiaki, and ZERTZ. It's got to be one of those. Well, at least there's about a 1% chance that it's one of those, and that's without subtracting out all the OOP games. First, I like playing Cartagena on BrettpsielWelt, but not quite enough to buy it because other people in my group already don't enjoy Clans as much as me. Second, I've been meaning to play Tongiaki on BSW for a while now but just haven't gotten around to it because it's tough learning a new game online for me, it's easier to learn it in person and then play online. Third, I want to try more Project GIPF games, especially ZERTZ, since I've only played YINSH and DVONN so far. I'm going to start by eliminating ZERTZ because you gave away a pure abstract game last year, and I need arbitrary ways to eliminate choices. It's down to Cartagena and Tongiaki, both games that I want, but have never quite made the cut when whittling down my list. The runner-up will have to be Cartagena because I think it's out-of-print and the impending reprint may be slightly different than the original, so we'll assume you're less likely to want to part with that. This leaves me with Tongiaki as my guess, I guess I'll put it in bold now, so you don't have to read all this. Merry Christmas!

Tongiaki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea for a contest. I'll guess Power Grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's Nautilus. It looks to me like you think it might be a good game, but your comments make it seem like you aren't going to get it back on the table anytime soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hurlburt
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go with Battle Line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Reeves
United States
Akron
Oh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula De?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Nexus Ops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general I think from this excercise you could indeed be geekbuddy material...but then I happened upon your thoughts about Arkham Horror and had to take pause

My guess...I was sure it would be an 8 game...but then you think most good geeks have most of those covered and they ARE 8s.

6 would be nice for some (Arkham Horror?) but may seem a bit out of the spirit you have created.

So I look thru the 7s...many good choices here, and also the biggest number that may need a "cull". So while it may seem obvious due to its name...my official guess is

Chez Geek

Thanks for the fun and Happy Holidays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Badinelli
Italy
Lonato
Brescia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Hanse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hor
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'll go with Thurn and Taxis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been waiting for this, thanks a lot for doing it again this year Scott.

What to go for? I think I went for Queen's Necklace or Neuen Entdecker last year but doubt you'll part with any of those. Evo and Taj Mahal are out of the question as well I guess which leaves *drumroll*

Fearsome Floors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess History of the World because...well...I love that game. ;-)

--Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthan Heiselt
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Let me look into my crystal ball.....

I am seeing a boxed game. Looks like grain, no wait... sand. I am seeing lots of pastel...

Through the Desert!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I shall leap in as the first UK entrant and see if I get lucky this year.... I think I guessed Serenissima last year, so just to be consistent for once I shall say the same again.

Thanks once again for a fun and generous contest!

Eddy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janna Nelson
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great contest! And I don't even have to google anything to play.

I'm choosing Die Neuen Entdecker because:

1. I've tried Oceania, and while it failed to satisfy, I think its big brother has enough meat on its bones to be tastier.

2. I dig games with tiles.

3. I like the word "Neuen" even though I don't know how to say it.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Heckathorn
United States
Winter Garden
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing Heroscape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! It's back again!

We've gone up on BGG rating correlation over the last year! Last year 0.62, this year we're 0.66. But you're on the GeekBuddyList already.

OK, for a game... it's been quite a Gipf-ey year, so I'll guess ZÈRTZ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monte Lewis
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta say Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel, since that's what I desperately want it to be.

If only you were giving away Man O' War, (hahaha, oh that's funny). My group has been dying to get into that but there's no one local with a set and we haven't been able to track down a reasonably priced one on ebay yet. Oh well, patience wins the day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.