Subject: First strategy article rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
What, no strategy articles yet? Ok.

1. In all the images, players are using their index fingers. Predominantly they are using the index finger of their right hand. That's fine for casual gamers, but if you're going to use this device frequently over many years to determine the start player for games, I recommend using your pinky. I'm not sure what the long term effects of this device are. I consider it an outside chance that it could kill all the nerve endings in whatever you stick in it over time. If I lose all feeling in one of my fingertips, I would prefer it to be the pinky.

2. Most people don't consider this a bluffing game, but try this strategy sometime. When you get shocked, leave your finger in there and pretend you didn't. The lights and the beeping stop, but nobody yanks their hand out. People will be like, "What? Is it broken?" This would be most effective when used to determine the start player in a game where going first is a disadvantage, such as Hacienda. Be warned, however. If you've been playing by the standard strategy up until now, you might think the device gives a quick shock, and that's it. Nope. It goes on for quite a bit if you leave your finger on there. I haven't tried to see how long it will go. Obviously I have yet to master this strategy. The one time I tried it, I did fool one or two of the other players, but one caught me flinch.

However, my group has a house rule that whoever gets shocked gets to choose their starting position, so that obviates the use of this technique as a strategy per se. However, it's still fun just to mess with people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When you get shocked, leave your finger in there and pretend you didn't. The lights and the beeping stop, but nobody yanks their hand out. People will be like, "What? Is it broken?"

Experienced players will also notice that light near the "winner's" finger will stay lit along with the shock, so the bluffing strategy will only work amongst extremely inexperienced or unobservant players. I would not attempt this strategy with a table full of seasoned SR players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Those with quick enough reflexes can get away with failing to make contact with their fingertip and relying on the light on whether or not to act as if one was shocked. An advanced technique, of sorts, but hardly cricket.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shocking Roulette, a definite Gamer's Game. I would be interested to hear what your opening strategy would be. What do you do in the mid game to shore up your position in the end game? Is it okay to lick your finger before you put it in there? Is it okay to lick the finger of a competitor prior to his/her putting it in there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've completely neglected the best strategic use of Shocking Roulette.

If it's to your advantage to go first, and you know at least one of your opponents has a fear of being shocked, recommend Shocking Roulette.

They'll sit out, therefore increasing your chances of going first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
queequeg wrote:
Is it okay to lick your finger before you put it in there? Is it okay to lick the finger of a competitor prior to his/her putting it in there?

Can I quote this out of context?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="morningstar"]1. In all the images, players are using their index fingers. Predominantly they are using the index finger of their right hand. That's fine for casual gamers, but if you're going to use this device frequently over many years to determine the start player for games, I recommend using your pinky. I'm not sure what the long term effects of this device are. I consider it an outside chance that it could kill all the nerve endings in whatever you stick in it over time. If I lose all feeling in one of my fingertips, I would prefer it to be the pinky.[q]

Or, if you want to throw down the glove, use your middle finger. Show your opponents that you can brazenly flick them off while risking life and limb. Ballsy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.