Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ramon Zarate
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
I'll be brief, because I'm feeling lazy: The game is not simple, if miniature/wargaming is not your trade. For me, miniature games are way to fiddly, and this is no exception, the price, though, makes it a great option to see if it's your cup of tea, but if you play with "memoirs" I wouldn't expect them to have much fun, unless they haven't discovered their internal miniature gamer so far.

For a friendlier aproximation to miniature gamming, I would recommend Wreckage or Wings of War, if you can stand them and have fun with them (which I do, as an example) then MAYBE you can have fun with Battleground (I do, sometimes), else, just move along. Besides those are great games!

The dice combat, also, is not quite simple, there's a lot of die rolling and it's easy to forget modifiers on your first games, it can get tiresome to be adding/substracting numbers, depends on the players.

So, as miniature games go, I think battleground is great for "the rest of us" but it's still miniature gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleground Fantasy Warfare has all the flavor and the usual mechanics of mass battle miniature games like a lot of dice, modifiers, formations and stuff.

What you actually get is a miniature game MUCH MORE BALANCED than others and of course much cheaper.

If you have never tried miniatures before and depending on how much you will pay for a pack of battleground cards (+ postage), just pick a pack, and make two armies out of it just to try the game.

There are 2 problems with this approach.

a) You will probably like the game and then spend more money on shipping to get the rest of the decks.
b) You will not get the full flavor of the game by playing only one faction.

Anyway, the game is really good and you really get the feeling of armies clashing on your tabletop, without too much control by you after the initial commands, like a "Rome:total war" thing.

The pincer and flanking attacks modifiers seem logical. After all you attack their sides, not their front.

Yes, i would recommend the protectors.

And be ready to read some rules... The advanced rules offer a lot more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I'm the publisher, and thus inherently biased. With that out of the way, here are my views:

Roberto999 wrote:
The combat system with dice seems easy enough,

As was noted previously, combat can be a bit complex the first time you play because there are a lot of modifiers to the dice. Once you've played a game or two you tend to remember automatically that charging is +1 power, spearmen get +1 skill vs. Large, etc. The actual resolution of combat is pretty straightforward.

Quote:
the only sticking point I see is the movement, so I was wondering how complicated that is for not-so-heavy-and-non-gamer's-game players .

I think basic movement is quite simple. Just aim an appropriate card where you want to go and slide the unit along. If terrain or a maneuver causes a unit to gain or (more commonly) lose speed, a simple table (included on one of the quick-reference cards) tells you what the new movement is. For example, my Swordsmen move 3.5" which is one long side of a card. If they are moving uphill or sideways they lose one movement category, which means they only move 2.5" or a short side.

When units look like they're close enough to fight, you check to see whether the unit's front center point (the little red dashes are center points on each card side) is within range of any center point of the enemy unit. If it is, they fight!

Quote:
Any other input on the complexity of this game is greatly appreciated as well. I've read most of the rules, and was a bit confused by movement personally, but with the game in hand shouldn't have too much trouble.

IMO Battleground creates complex decisions more often than complex rules situations. Most players simply agree on a common sense solution if they aren't sure how the rules work, and you can also get very fast feedback on rules questions by posting here or (faster still) our Yahoo Group.

Quote:
I'm also wondering about the measurement aspects - again since none of us come from a mini's background. I know most of the measurements are done using the card lengths/sides, but for turns and such, don't you run into instances where you get fractions and smaller denominations when checking distances and movement totals etc?

The way the progression of movement classes works is "can't move," 1/2S, 1/2L, S, L, SS, LS, LL, etc. Since 1/2S and 1/2L are easily measured using a card (because the mid-points are right there), it isn't awkward at all. Similarly, if a unit that moves L wants to advance part of its movement and then turn for the rest, just note how much of the card is left and use that for your turn.

Quote:
Edit: I'm also wondering about the card-protectors. Are they needed? Required? Recommended? Thanks guys!

We recommend them because eventually you'll see wear on your cards if you don't, but you can certainly play enough to decide whether you like Battleground enough to protect the cards in the first place. It's also not as big a pain as with a CCG since you're sleeving six to ten units in most cases rather than an entire deck.

Quote:
Edit #2: Sigh. One last question! Die modifiers for flanking, pinching, charging, etc, are those logical? Obviously yes, but do they apply in common sense areas. E.g. If I were to tell someone that attacking on the flanks, or attempting a pincer movement will make their units more efficient, is this basically true? Or are there weird cases where the effect is illogical or does not follow from 'real' (ancient) warfare.

The exact translations may not be perfect, but I think they make sense. (Of course, if I didn't we probably would have done them differently.) If you hit one of my units on the flank, for example, my guys are likely to be disoriented and may have trouble presenting you with a solid defensive line; hence you get +1 to offensive skill. Being pinched is a big deal, so both units get +1 to offensive skill and power. Charging give you +1 power, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Zarate
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
I was thinking, if you are around Vancouver, we might get together one day and play my decks of Battleground, I brought them with me (I moved from Mexico, recently). Let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to check out the Yahoo Group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.