Subject: Pay for your power rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Casey
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
In the ten or so times I've played this game, I've NEVER made it to turn 12. Usually somebody rockets up 30-60k in one turn by turn 10, and that's that.

I was trying to come up with a variant that might let the game breathe a little more.

The idea is simple: pay for your influence.

Each influence that you have on the board costs you $1000 per turn when you pay for your muscle card and trucks.

In-game logic: These people are controlling bars for you. Truck drivers aren't the only ones that need to get paid to stay in line.

Benefits: Players will have to be more careful about placement. One influence placed on the first turn that never earns money will cost you $11,000. This also makes hits slightly more interesting as it may occasionally be in your best interest to hit your own man.

Drawbacks: More book-keeping. I already have a sticky time remembering to pay for my trucks. Also, it may create a runaway situation where the leading player can't be beaten, but won't win for another turn or two.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like it. The problem I see is that you could get a runaway leader quite easily if someone is able to get controlling intrest, with not many options for someone else to stop them, since it would get pretty expensive without much profit.

Personally, I think the game is long enough as is.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an alternative I would offer the following:

1. Play with open holdings so everyone is aware of everyone else's cash position.

2. Learn to do a good job of judging when someone is going to do a large cash in. Don't expect the game to compensate for a lack of superior play on the part of the players.

3. Beat the crap out of the leader once you have achieved step 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cooper anderson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Has anyone played it with where everyone know how much money everyone else has at all times? Sounds interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rather prefer it the way it is, with the reveals at the end of round 4 and 8. I think knowing at all times what people have can cause more AP, and I think the game is long enough as is.

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played it once only, all information was open. I didn't even know it was not supposed to be that way... But it doesn't change much. What happens when you play closed is that the person with the best memory has an advantage. I say: always play games open as much as possible.

Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:

2. Learn to do a good job of judging when someone is going to do a large cash in. Don't expect the game to compensate for a lack of superior play on the part of the players.

3. Beat the crap out of the leader once you have achieved step 2.

Something EURO players are lax in doing...

GANG UP ON THE LEADER AND BEAT HIM TO A PULP. DON"T SELL IN HIS SE.

JOIN FORCES AND OPEN A BIGGER ONE

Don't be afraid to hurt feelings Uhh ITS A GAME

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.