West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Rules/Updates: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/118483

Indiana Jones and the Will of the Immortal
Reporter 1 Thread

“Okay, what did I do – what did I touch!?” Indy thought.

But there was not much time for thinking. There was a sound of violently rushing water in the tunnel. Indy secured his hat on his head and sprinted back from where he came. As he got to the iron ladder he looked back – the water was crashing though just where had been. He still had nearly a hundred yards to climb and the water would soon be on top of him. He scraped up the vertical tunnel as fast as he could, skipping rungs at a time. But he wasn’t fast enough. The water swallowed him up only halfway up the ladder and he lost control. Holding his breath he just hoped he had enough. Seconds later the water spit him up on the sand next to a man holding a cane.

“Indiana, what happened?” asked the man.

“Another trap. How man….my hat. Where’s my hat!? It must have gotten snagged”

“Indiana, wait!”

A worthless request. Indy had already dove back into what was now a bubbling pool. The force of the water’s push was still strong, but fortunately his hat was only a few yards down, stuffed between two rungs of the ladder and caught on a jutting piece of wood. He found enough strength to overcome the water and grab it, before returning to the surface.

He shook his head. “At least I found something”.

As it always did, normal life returned in a few months after his escapade on Oak Island. It was a calm Monday after a day full of teaching classes. This was his most busy day. Dr. Henry Jones, Sr. was querying him on his botched expedition to Oak Island at Indy’s house.

“Junior, have you become just another historian turned pirate like the rest of them? Why were you so interested in the resting place of gold. There are far more important things in this world.”

“Dad, don’t call me that. There could be important artifacts in that hole – not just a pirate’s stash. And don’t you tell me about…”

There was a knock on the door.

Indy pulled the door open. A proud looking man was standing there, and seemed in no rush to reveal his business.

“Yes?” said Indy.

“I need to talk to you Dr. Jones – alone”

“Sure” said Dr. Henry Jones. “Indiana, leave the room, please.”

“No,” said the man. “I need to talk to Dr. Indiana Jones – alone.”

“Well what am I? Chopped liver?” Dr. Henry Jones mumbled and shuffled out of the room.

Indiana turned to the man, half smiling and half sneering.

“Oh do come in and have a seat...and what branch of the government are you from? I know your type. You all the wear the same crooked frown.”

The man strode in and sat in a large armchair, and set a briefcase aside. Indiana remained standing, directly across from him a few yards away. His eyebrows were raised, awaiting an answer. The man didn’t rush, but was rushed.

“I am from the Operation of Strategic Services, Dr. Jones. You can call me Cunningham. I have come to ask you for your assistance. I’ve come to ask you to serve your country. But that’s not all. There will be plenty of reward for you – from us, from your mission, and from civilization as a whole.”

“Whoa whoa whoa…hold on a minute. I am not on any mission right now. Serve my country? Isn’t that about done right now. The Russians are closing in on Berlin. Shouldn’t you be in Washington patting Patton on the back about now?”

The man shifted in his seat, gazed for a moment down, and then looked up.

“Something has come up, Dr. Jones”

“Oh something has come up has it. Of course….Why should I even listen to you? Last time I did, I swam through snakes and cozied up to the Nazis for nothing. Tell me what you did with the Ark and I’ll keep listening.”

“That I cannot do. I….”

“Then get out”

“Dr. Jones, this is very important. It involves the greatest historical discovery that ever can be. I have already notified Mr. Marcus Brody. The wheels are already in motion.”

Indy’s face clenched and he gritted his teeth.

“What!? You slime, you….”

“Listen. We have won the war, but something has happened. A discovery has been made.”

Indy took a step back. If there was something to stop him and make him consider it was a discovery of something historically important that had long been lost.

“A discovery? The lance?”

“No, not by us. Another one by them. It is the manuscript.”

“The Voynich?”

“Yes, with Hitler’s hope all but gone he has been feverishly attempting to decode it. He has had his officials and codebreakers working on it day and night in shifts. And they have had a breakthrough. As far as I know it involved one of their children playing with Lincoln Logs. Think of it…Lincoln now destroying the country, instead of putting it back together.”

Indy took a moment to consider all this. He had clearly not been expecting this. No one had. The Voynich had never been even close to being deciphered, even by the brightest men. And to have it happen now, just now, at the end of war, by a child, was for a moment, too much for Indy to put together. Then, his thinking returned.

“Hold on. How do you know all this?”

“We have a man inside. But of course no man can get that deep. It was by great fortune that he stumbled upon the news and was able to even copy a portion of the translation. Do you believe in myths, Dr. Jones”

“No, why do you think it’s called myth?”

Indy, shifted uncomfortably. He didn’t like where this was headed.

“Well what if instead of some or none of myths and beliefs were true – what if they were nearly all true?”

“What to you mean? Get to the point. What did the Voynich say? Better yet, let me see it.”

“The Voynich talks about the Garden, Dr. Jones. The author writes that he has seen it. All those pictures of foliage in the manuscript? Most are about alchemy, but there is a small section devoted to the Garden. Even more, he – or she – mentions the Tree. The Tree, Dr. Jones. And the author found something called ‘The Will of the Immortal’. The author says that many of the myths about Immortals are true.”

Indy strode forward.

”Oh, why didn’t you say so earlier?” he sarcastically boomed, “I’ll start right now! When should I expect the Star to appear to lead me? Look, if you need something of historical importance – meaning IT EXISTS, come back. But if you want to go find Jack and his beanstalk, go ahead. But don’t come looking for me.”

“Dr. Jones…”

“And the ‘The Will of the Immortal’? That makes no sense. If you are immortal why do you need a will? No, sir, what you have here is another fine collection of nursery rhymes. No reason to fear the Nazis. The war is over. Now, leave if you please.”

Cunningham didn’t flinch. He had plenty more info to deliver to Indy.

“The manuscript has already proven to be an honest illuminator. It contains the secret composition of Greek fire. And already we have authenticated that. In addition, its secrets have led our researchers already to discover the first steps of purified penicillin. No, this document isn’t the words of a person’s imagination. It holds secrets to the earth’s mysteries.”

Suddenly the door to the kitchen burst open. It was Indiana’s father.

“J-J-Junior, do you hear that? What is your problem? Do you not remember the Ark and the Grail? Some things that seem beyond fact are in fact true. What this man has given us is magnificent. A chance to discover the secret of beginnings. Of, of everything.”

“Dad, hold on, we’re not going. Besides, I’ve had enough run-ins with the Nazis. Surely this man has someone else to help, even if a small part of this scribbling is true.”

The man stepped in between them.

“Actually we do not. Our resources are incredibly low with the war going on, and we cannot afford to make a scene with a public contingent to stop the Nazis and recover what is there. And we can’t forget about the Russians.”

‘The Russians? I thought they were on our side.”

“Yes, we have a common enemy, but word is that already the Nazi force that Hitler has sent to investigate the secret of the manuscript has already run into Russian forces. It got messy, but most of the elite Gestapo escaped with the Russians not far behind. However, we believe that they also got a copy of the manuscript. We’re not sure how they’ll react, in terms of motive – whether they want elimination of the religious, erm, possibilities or secretly desiring to acquire the power it holds. Nonetheless, the agents who followed the Nazis, have not turned back. They are joining in on the chase.”

Indy shook his head and pounded the table with his fist.

“Hmmm, I’ve never trusted those Communists. Just something about them…still I don’t like the situation I’m getting into.”

“Neither do we, but something must be done.”

There was a pause. Cunningham continued.

“Yes, even more, there are some things we can’t share to the public as the war is drawing to close. But if war isn’t bad enough, we know discovered that Stalin is capable of terrible atrocities. I cannot tell you what he’s beginning to do to his people. And we’ve started to discover spies in our diplomatic network. Dr. Jones, you must stop them both, and recover what is there. Or at least stop what is evil from procuring it. The Nazis will be desperate. You have done this before, and while our agents are good men, they are not archaeologists or treasure hunters. Even if what the Manuscript describes is not fully true, surely there are things of historical significance in its path.”

Indy replied quickly.

“I’m not a treasure hunter. I’m an archaeologist. I was not searching for money in Oak Island, and I’ve had plenty of other significant discoveries.”

Cunningham nodded in quiet assurance. Then there was a pause for at least 5 minutes. Indiana and his father were pacing in the room. Cunningham now stood silently. Then Indy broke the silence.

“I will go, but dad, you must stay here. It’s too dangerous. Who else have you told of this Cunningham? And we have to go over the manuscript. Where does it suggest we begin?”

“Just Brody, I’ve told. You have made an excellent decision. We have made arrangements to have you taken to Samsun, Turkey, since the manuscript has the location of the Will and Garden somewhere in the Georgian region of Southern Russia. In Samsun you will find transport into Georgia, but it must be with hired guns. Anything with national ties will raise unwanted attention. I will have a couple of men over there to help, but I’m not sure where they will be at, and they don’t know you. But look out for them. In addition, many of the locals there despise the Nazis and are resisting the Communists in the struggle for independence. They will be on your side.”

“Fair enough” said Indy, “I will contact my people to meet me there….let’s take a look at that document.”

“Hold on Junior – I will not stay here and wonder about you. I may be no adventurer and swashbuckler, but I think I can at least be of help. I will not take no for an answer. If this is the end for me, it is the way I want it to end. A perfect ending to an age-old mystery. I will not expire by sitting here and decaying.”

“Fine, Dad, let’s look at the document and get going then.”

They went over the manuscript copy for the next many hours. Scribbling notes at different times in between looking at it. They were pulling books on the shelf and debating certain points. At the very end, they began preparations to leave, and Indy gave his summation:

“Well, the only thing it says the author actually found was ‘The Will of the Immortal’ and an immortal or immortality. Something like that I can’t be sure – it’s fuzzy which exactly. And whatever it was, it was left there. But it has to be referring to the sephiroth, the Tree of Life in some way. And then there’s the rest of the analysis…mythology from all strains. Very syncretic. We have the Book of Enoch, the nephilim and lots of notes about the angels, the ygraddisil, Arrata, Genesis, a third tree from the Chinese mythology, some sacred geometry, description of plant life, and a section that echoes Gilgamesh. Akkadian. Sumerian. Even Aztec mythology. We have it all here, but I’m not sure what it all means. What is fact and what is hypothesis? And besides clearly referring to the location as the present region of Georgia, Russia, around the Caucasus Mountains it doesn’t say exactly how we begin to find the Will of the Immortal. It doesn’t list a specific place.”

Indy paused, and his father quietly nodded, sitting down.

“Pack the copy away in a safe place, and I guess we just begin looking for anything we can find that has any relevance to what we’ve read.”

They then prepared to leave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re: Will of the Immortal: Reporter 1.
World Map

Area/Main Map

----------------------

Day 1

A bar in Samsun Turkey. It is crowded. Very crowded – and you had a good idea why. And since bars don’t usually have a lot of space anyway for people, you found yourself getting to know the person next to you especially well. Large wooden chairs were all around and drinks were being slid on large wooden tables. The crowd made it very hard to have confidential conversation and finding the transport you came here for became difficult with the barricades of stories and questions all around you.

Still, if there was any information to find, it was here. With these people, who heard the whispers and drunken indiscretions of those who shouldn’t be giving them. You found a good deal many people here who had the same look on their face as you. Perhaps the same purpose and suspicion. And there was also the smell of death in the air – both of past, future, and present. For now, however, you had to find transport into Georgia.

Sub-Areas:
None – there will be no searching.

Adjacent Areas:
None- you must find transport to Georgia (main map), by three possible night orders:

(ship) Gagra Area – A6
(car) Base Camp – C6
(plane) Pshku – D3

Players Here:
Anonymouse512
Belash
buffalospynovel
digs
freyja
Genghis
Gregarius
GrimJester
Ithicks
jaredh
jmilum
melsana
pbwedz
ptper
rasattack
royalflush
seppi
scotty_bomb
wiz8mom

-----------------------

It is now Day 1. Please vote for a lynch candidate, or for no-lynch.
Lynch will be at 6:00 PM on Monday (and no posting/messaging until 8:00). For night actions please pick one of the three areas to travel to (ship, car, plane) in addition to any other night actions you may have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re: Will of the Immortal: Reporter 1.
A couple of notes:

1. Flavor in the role write-ups (you received 2 in addition to your own) may indicate where a person will be. However, I will tell you that won’t be an easy indicator, since a specific location was never given.

2. Take the extended Day 1 to look over the rules again and ask questions, publicly or via PM. I will try to answer them quickly. The bark is worse than the bite. There may be a lot going on, but the formula isn't that difficult (ie how they connect).

-------------

With that, voting and posting may begin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Will of the Immortal: Reporter 1. Day 1.
A couple questions:

1 - The local map doesn't look like a coastal area to me?

2 - Do we have to move, or is this locale a place you can stay if you choose? I guess the quesiton is are the starting areas real locations post day 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jaredh wrote:
A couple questions:

1 - The local map doesn't look like a coastal area to me?

The southwestern corner shows water and that is the edge of the Black Sea.

jaredh wrote:

2 - Do we have to move, or is this locale a place you can stay if you choose? I guess the quesiton is are the starting areas real locations post day 1.

You must move from the present locale in Turkey. Once you get to A6, C6, or D3 (boat, road, air respectively) on the main/local map tomorrow, you'll be able to go to "sub-areas" in the current zone, which is basically searching and remaining in your same zone (eg A6, etc). Or you may move from zone to zone - A6 to A4, etc. (which doesn't search). Searching gets you items, secrets, etc.

But you'll never be able to return to Turkey. Think of this as a launching point. After today all action will reside on the local/main map...unless something suddenly comes up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you said this place was busy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy da Mom
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sitting over here ....

Looking around in a daze not sure exactly what is going on....

Care to join me for a drink?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An open-eyed man falling into the well
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
"I don’t believe in magic that works whether or not you believe in it!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm here.

Wondering if we should spill info on the roles we know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy da Mom
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anonymouse512 wrote:
I'm here.

I was also wondering if we should vote "no lynch" ... I have never played in a game where this was an option so I would like to here others thoughts on this???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've decided to post a response to a PM I received to help clarify tonight's basic move action for all:

"Turkey is the launching point for many people. Tonight's action will determine which hex you begin at on the local map. So you are in no hex right now - you exist outside the local map (that's sort of what the world map is trying to convey). For your basic "move" action tonight you will choose to go by sea, ground, or air - meaning you can pick which hex on the local map to begin tomorrow at (and subsequent adjacent-hex-moving). These 3 are A6 (sea), D6 (ground), or D3 (air)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Anonymouse512 wrote:
I'm here.

that might be a good idea, i got 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Freyja wrote:
I was also wondering if we should vote "no lynch"

nah, let's just lynch someone that doesn't post. we got lots of people in this game, and non-posters may easily skate by to the end, especially if they are evil. let's not let that happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Freyja wrote:

nah, let's just lynch someone that doesn't post. we got lots of people in this game, and non-posters may easily skate by to the end, especially if they are evil. let's not let that happen.

I agree we lynch somebody who doesn't post. but if nobody qualifies, I'm inclined to go no-lynch.

As for the map, I'm still confused. If everyone starts off the map, why isn't everyone in the same place to begin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy da Mom
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaredh wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Freyja wrote:

I agree we lynch somebody who doesn't post. but if nobody qualifies, I'm inclined to go no-lynch.

As for the map, I'm still confused. If everyone starts off the map, why isn't everyone in the same place to begin?

I am guessing we are at different places off the map....

I suppose he has a reason for putting us in 4 different threads to begin with ... not sure exactly yet but I am guessing it has something to do with how big this game is.....

Since there is 4 different threads all voting to lynch or no lynch we could have 4 people leave the game tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rasmussen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Kisu~
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm here. I have to say that I love the opening flavor text.

I agree that we should lynch someone who's quiet. As for revealing roles, I really have no idea how helpful this would be. It would give any killers a good idea of characters they should try and target, and the good guys will have a decent idea as to how the bad guys are operating. I could see myself going either way on the choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
rasattack wrote:
It would give any killers a good idea of characters they should try and target, and the good guys will have a decent idea as to how the bad guys are operating. I could see myself going either way on the choice.

at a minimum we should tell all the info we have on any not-good guys (evils and neutrals). so to start here is what i know:

1. short round is in the game and has some secret documents
2. Zung Hi is a Communist that wants to get said documents from short round
3. Zung will now if short round is in his area
4. Zung may have a one-shot kill ability, the role info was fuzzy on that. it says that Zung will appear as a Tinker to all of the seers IF he kills someone other than short round. from this I assume he has a kill power, but it was not listed, so I am not sure about that. perhaps it has to do with an item as I did not get a list of any items he may have.
5. zung's win condition is to kill short round or get the will of the immortal (so perhaps the documents don't really matter to him)

It would probably be a good idea for short round to not reveal given the above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seppi
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off... drinks for all my friends!

I'm inclined to think that we should lynch someone rather than a no-lynch as lynching is generally a good "tool" of the village and some vote record is better than none.

As for where we are... my guess, like Freyja's, is that everyone starts off the map, in four different groups because of size, and that choosing where we go from there allows us some control of our destiny.

I'm not sure yet as to whether it's a good thing or not to share the info that we got about others as I'm unsure as to whom it would benefit most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
seppi wrote:
I'm not sure yet as to whether it's a good thing or not to share the info that we got about others as I'm unsure as to whom it would benefit most.

sharing info about neutral or evil players can only help the good guys. everyone should be doing that. everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rasmussen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Kisu~
mbmbmbmbmb
I have info on an evil killer. Tepes gets an automatic kill each night that cannot be prevented by things like bodyguard or med kit. His night kill will be revealed as the target being impaled, so I imagine we'll be able to narrow down who he is after receiving enough info on night kills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy da Mom
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have info on two evils...

1. Ludwig Arnold-a Nazi Gestapo Officer

Victory Conditon - His team to Get the Will of the Immortal

Ability - Each night check a player in your area and learn what items that player has

2. Ivan Korets - NKGB Officer

Victory Conditon - His team to Get the Will of the Immortal

Ability - Each night check a player and learn what items that player has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaulW
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All, I'm checking in.

Based on the opening text there is likely more good guys here then bad. Both Jones' are likely here too, so I think the more info we can give them the better.

I'm willing to bet there are a few spies (or the like), but I think it is worth the risk.

I'm just a simple villager who hates the evil Nazis and Commies.

Roles I know:

Fjodor Makarei

You are a member of the White Russians who has infiltrated the NKGB of Communist Russia. As a junior member, you do not know the identity of those elite officers that Stalin has sent, but they will know that you are one of them. You have learned where they are going, however…

Special Abilities:
3. Undercover: When checked by an NKGB Agent, you show up as Communist. You will show up as good to all other alignment seer(s).
4. Follow: You can choose a player in your area each night to follow. You go to the location they went to, search what they searched. You also get a random 1 sentence portion of a PM they send the next day (you will get it the next night).

Alignment:
Good

Victory Condition:
For Good to obtain Will of the Immortal.

------

Detective Nottingham

You are just here to do your job. And that is to catch the thief, Ra, which has been plaguing London by stealing valuable gems and artifacts. However, the talk of the larger quest that you hear is interesting.

Special Abilities:
13. Search for Ra: Each night you will know if Ra was in your area.
14. Lawful: If you kill an innocent you automatically lose.

Alignment:
Neutral

Victory Condition:
Kill Ra (you will know if you enter his location with his body), or Obtain the Will of the Immortal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle Anner
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
“A sense of humor...is superior to any religion so far devised.” ― Tom Robbins
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing the suggestion, "let's lynch someone who doesnt post," I'm posting..

And now that I've posted, it's a good plan. Otherwise, I'm good with no lynch.

Timewarping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle Anner
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of two bad guys:

Xavier Segur

- Officer
- Can carry 3 items (not 2)
- Knows the ID of 4 other officers

Monkey Man

- Gestapo agent sees Nazi
- All other seers see Good Alignment
- Target a player. If the player is ANY kind of seer, the view is clouded.

As for my character, I remain nameless for the moment.. trying to think of a name.. Dee sounds like a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle Anner
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you're a Good Seer, there is a chance that you are looking at an aux evil that is coming up good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An open-eyed man falling into the well
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
"I don’t believe in magic that works whether or not you believe in it!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we may want to be more tight lipped on the good guys abilities.

Here's the role info I have:

Ustin Samarok

NKGB Officer. (Communist-aligned)

-learns role of anyone he kills
-knows fellow officers

The other one is Dr. Jones, Senior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.