BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Tactical Ancient or Fantasy or Non WW Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Go to the GMT Games website (www.gmtgames.com . . . i think) and look for the games in The Great Battles of History series. You wil lsee you have stumbled into the motherlode of ancient (and not so ancient) tactical games.

As a sample, you can try searching hereabouts for "Great Battles of Alexander", SPQR, "The Devil's horsemen", "Cataphjract", "Caesr in Gaul", etc etc etc . . .

Enjoy

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For grand tactical, you could also look at the Prussia's Glory I & II games, Mark Miklos's American Revolution series (Guilford, Saratoga, etc.), and Ben Hull's Musket and Pike series (This Accursed Civil War, Sweden Fights On, etc.). All of these are GMT games, and along with the bounty of games found in the GBoH series mentioned above by Richard, constitute a wealth of great games.

You might want to also look at some miniatures systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with tactical games is that tactical didn't really exist before the end of WWI. Not the way we think of it now and what you are looking for.

Tactical implies using the smallest maneuver elements to fight the battle. Before the end of WWI, that was the company, at the absolute smallest, but usually the battalion. Things like squads and platoons were for administrative purposes, for the most part, if they existed at all.

There are a number of fantasy games that are based around the adventure company, usually of three to six people, going up against monsters and other such small groupings. Games like Descent or Heroquest, which are dungeon crawls, may be what you are looking for.

There are a few non-dungeon crawls in the fantasy/medieval category. The most historical I can think of is Cry Havoc, a medieval skirmish game that is out of print. There is also Heroscape, which is something like a skirmish wargame.

I believe that there are some tactical Sci-Fi games available too. Doom comes to mind immediately, as does Starship Troopers. I don't know if something like Car Wars would count, or Battletech.

It seems like to me that by far the best tactical games are for WWII or later. Most of them are well known, so I won't go into them here, but I'd like to mention the Sergeants system from Lost Battalion games. Sergeants! on the Eastern Front, Sergeants! in the Sand, Sergeants! Expansion and Sergeants! Scenario Book I compose an excellent little game that simulates WWII skirmish combat surprisingly well, considering the simplicity of the game system. The next surprise is that all four games/expansions cost $44; that isn't $44 apiece, that is $44 total. With that you get hundreds of die cut counters, representing German, Russian, British, Italian, American and French forces during WWII, including some representative vehicles. Including free downloads from lostbattalion.com; you get ten maps and 43 scenarios. There are only a grand total of eight pages of rules, half of which are in the expansion - mostly to handle vehicles.

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert,

Saw someone mention "Heroscape". Don't know if you've ever played it, but don't dismiss it as a "kid's toy" before you give it a closer look -it's got line of sight rules, terrain modifiers, and lots of squads and heroes from sci-fi, fantasy, AND historical themes. (Granted, I play it because I can make my dragon squash/eat/incinerate my son's robot mutant droids or whaterver, but it could be played in a more serious manner...)

Also, check out these games:

Siege of the Citadel
Fury of the Clansmen
Doom: The Boardgame
Space Hulk

All involve team/squad level tactics, and they're extra cool because there are aliens and monsters and what not to fight...

For no-frills, non-stop sci-fi/fantasy tactical combat action, I recommend Fury of the Clansmen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.