Subject: 5 Player Christmas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] christmas [+] [View All]
Stephen Paget
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations for a game to be played over the Christmas holiday. Needs to be good with 5 players, 3 of whom are new to gaming ... completely ... however, please don't recommend settlers or ticket to ride, we want something slightly meatier Something like Capitol (which only takes 4) is what I have in mind. Any suggestions very much welcomed. Thanks. Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Some games that are

- good with 5 and
- I've played in the last few months and
- easy to get in UK and
- would probably be OK for people who you think could cope with Capitol:

Tempus, Mammoth Hunters, Canal Mania, Keythedral, Santiago, El Grande, Hacienda, On the Underground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Paget
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. I have tempus, but not sure ... I also have keythedral, but am concerned about the initial set up for complete non gamers. Shame there's no beginners set up for it, like settlers has. I'm interested in Mammoth Hunters, what are your thoughts ... I also have Santiago, but my one other player who will be there doesn't like it ... tricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I think Mammoth Hunters sprang to mind because it's a sort of card-driven area majority game like Capitol. I've only just remembered that it's also designed by the same team: Moon & Weissblum.

I've only played a single 3-player game, but I liked it. The use of cards is quite different from Capitol, and the idea of light & dark cards was interesting: light cards let you do things, but cost you money, while dark cards let an opponent you designate do things, but earn you income.

Having said that, it's received a bit of a panning here on the geek for being too chaotic. You can certainly mess with other player's positions a lot more than in Capitol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the new Fury of Dracula? It's for 5 players and there is a large amount of co-operation between the hunters (which may be useful if some of your players don't really play games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amun-Re would be perfect. I have never played Capitol but from reading reviews it sounds similar in that there are multiple phases.

Aquiring land
Build
Sacrifice (Auction)
Collect Income
Score points

Fantastic game!

I'd also suggest RA as I think it is the best 5 player game for good Xmas fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about-

-Ra
-Traumfabrik/Hollywood Blockbuster
-Amun Re
-Railroad Tycoon
-Vegas Showdown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised we haven't seen Princes of Florence- good game with many strategies and ways to go, play very well with 5. First game or two may be rough on your non-gamers though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmb
Santiago is very newbie-friendly, while still being enjoyable for gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.