L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The renegade seems to be acknowledged as the most difficult role to win with. There are tournament rules to help balance things, but that doesn't really help for the casual games I usually play. I'm looking for a way to balance the game more directly, in the scope of a single game.

One idea I have is to change the victory conditions to:

Sheriff: Kill all Outlaws and the Renegade (I'm using only the roles from the basic game) without being killed.
Deputies: Kill all Outlaws and the Renegade without the Sheriff being killed.
Outlaws: Kill the Sheriff and the Renegade with at least one Outlaw alive at the end.
Renegade: Kill the Sheriff and all Outlaws without being killed (that is: be the last man standing).

With a new rule: When the Sheriff dies, all Deputies are exposed and removed from the game as well. (This is an "exposed" rule, since before the game would just end when the Sheriff dies).

So, once the Sheriff dies, it's up to the remaining players to determine who among them is the Renegade (or for the Renegade to kill the remaining Outlaws before being discovered).

That can lead to a long spell of inactivity after the Sheriff dies, perhaps (as players attempt to restore their hands and life totals before sticking their necks out), so this is really only recommended if you're also using the High Noon event deck to apply the necessary pressure at the end.

If not, perhaps exposing the Renegade when the Sheriff dies would be in order (and increase his maximum life, like the Sheriff).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another house rule I thought of is, that once all outlaws and all deputies are dead the known renegade gets an increased current and maximum health by one. This puts him on an even footing with the sheriff for the showdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Russell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only rule changes we use are that if there is a deputy and the renegade kills the sheriff while the deputy is still alive (but outlaws are dead), the renegade wins anyway (whereas the book says the outlaws would win)

Also, we play that with 8 players, the 2 renegades are on the same team, and are working together for the win.

We haven't had a problem with it, and all positions are equally fun to play, and close in winning potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest problem with the OP's solution is that it rewards the renegade to go after the sheriff from the get go. This puts a huge undue strain on "the law".

Any varient to help out the renegade needs to keep the "sheriff cant die right away" feel. My suggestions below:

1. Ive had mixed feelings about the "sheriff dies, game over" rule. Thus this suggestion: If all outlaws are dead, they cant win. Instead, its renegade vs law. New rule: If all the outlaws are dead, the sheriff's death does not end the game. Play until the renegade dies, or is last one standing.

2. Allow the renegade, at any time on his turn, to reveal himself. When he does, he gains a life and draws a card. All other rules apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elgar wrote:
The biggest problem with the OP's solution is that it rewards the renegade to go after the sheriff from the get go. This puts a huge undue strain on "the law".

No, since that would mean that the deputies (and Sheriff) would then go after him post haste, as if he were an outlaw, almost guaranteeing his demise.

Even if it were so, the strain could hardly be called "huge" in comparison to the strain on "the law" in the official version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergut _
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elgar wrote:
2. Allow the renegade, at any time on his turn, to reveal himself. When he does, he gains a life and draws a card. All other rules apply.

Very good suggestion! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.